100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

MPaulHolmes
Curtis 72 Volt 400 Amp DC Motor Controller

Curtis 72v controllers

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

Heynow
I am am about to start collecting parts for mv so I would like some advice.  Could I use a controller like this for an ev that is based on a Mercedes 190.  The car weights about 2700 lbs, and I am looking to get about 50mph with 30 miles range.  I realize this controller will limit me to 72volts, but then I could use 6v flooded with a higher capacity to give me greater range.

I am trying to do this on a budget, this looks like a good deal.  What would one of these cost new?

Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Peter

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

Peter VanDerWal
No.

You need one with higher voltage and preferably higher current also.
120V @ 500 amps would be a good place to start.

> I am am about to start collecting parts for mv so I would like some
> advice.
> Could I use a controller like this for an ev that is based on a Mercedes
> 190.  The car weights about 2700 lbs, and I am looking to get about 50mph
> with 30 miles range.  I realize this controller will limit me to 72volts,
> but then I could use 6v flooded with a higher capacity to give me greater
> range.
>
> I am trying to do this on a budget, this looks like a good deal.  What
> would
> one of these cost new?
>
> Help is greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

MPaulHolmes
They are about $650-$750 new.

I think a top speed of 50mph would not be a problem.  It would just be slower acceleration.  I know it can get a 2000 pound Geo Metro to 55, so just make sure the tires are pumped up and that the car doesn't have horrible aerodynamics.  Also, at 25 mph, you could probably get 45-50 miles, and at 50 mph it may be more like 25 mile range.

-Paul

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

jneiswanger
Just as a point of reference, the Tropicas used 2 Curtis 400A 72V controls
with 2 motors and the curb weight is less than 2000 lbs with the batteries.
Top speed is reported at 60-72 mph depending on who is reporting it and
range is listed anywhere from 30 miles to 60 miles per charge.  I don't know
how this would translate for your application but I suspect it indicates
that this controller is is a little light for what you need.

respectfully,
John
http://www.evalbum.com/751

> I am am about to start collecting parts for mv so I would like some
> advice.
> Could I use a controller like this for an ev that is based on a Mercedes
> 190.  The car weights about 2700 lbs, and I am looking to get about 50mph
> with 30 miles range.  I realize this controller will limit me to 72volts,
> but then I could use 6v flooded with a higher capacity to give me greater
> range.
>
> I am trying to do this on a budget, this looks like a good deal.  What
> would
> one of these cost new?
>
> Help is greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

Roger Stockton
[hidden email] wrote:

> Just as a point of reference, the Tropicas used 2 Curtis 400A
> 72V controls with 2 motors and the curb weight is less than
> 2000 lbs with the batteries.
> Top speed is reported at 60-72 mph depending on who is
> reporting it and range is listed anywhere from 30 miles to 60
> miles per charge.  I don't know how this would translate for
> your application but I suspect it indicates that this
> controller is is a little light for what you need.

Bear in mind that the Tropicas used a fixed reduction ratio drive system, so they would need more controller/current to allow decent acceleration despite being geared for as much as 70mph.

A single 72V 400A controller and motor provides pretty good accleration in a 1500lb NEV with fixed gearing for a top speed of about 35-40mph; in a conversion pushing 3000lbs, acceleration is unlikely to be impressive, but with a multispeed tranny it may be possible to have reasonable acceleration at low speeds and still (eventually) reach 50mph when neccesary.  I think a 120V 400A Curtis 1221 would work a lot better, but if the budget is tight and the 50mph is kind of a nice to have rather than a daily requirement, the 72V controller and a tranny should allow the vehicle to serve as an around town vehicle on surface streets (say 40mph and under).

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: 100 cheap 72v Curtis controllers on Ebay

Heynow
OK, this is what I am going to do.  I am going to see if I can get one cheap, I can always resell it.  I will use it as a starting point, and keep looking for a deal on a more powerfull one.  I appreciate the advice.