115V plug handling 230V AC?

Ben Jarrett

Hey guys,

I have an Elcon 2000 charger.  Up until now, I've been charging with 115V.  It puts about 7amps at 170V
into my LiFePO4 pack.  I haven't checked how much it draws on the 115V.  I'm guessing around 11-12 amps.

I'd like to start charging with 230V.  The connector on the charger looks like it can handle it...
until I get to the first plug with is a 115V computer power supply-ish looking connector.
Can I just make an adapter with a 115V plug on one side and 230V plug on the other side?
I'm sure this stuff has come up before, but I thought I'd check for the latest info.

thanks,
-ben

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

tgintz
Those are IEC320 C13/C14 connectors which don't spec voltage.... but usually they're 125VAC/250VAC rated contacts. Computer power supplies use that connector so they can be used universally (there's usually a 220V/110V switch on the back).

It will be fine, just use the right connector on the mains receptacle end.

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

brucedp5
There is no problem with a 5-15/20 plug/cord/receptacle handling 240VAC.
It is the current that is the concern, and as long as it is the same
current as with 120VAC use (i.e.: under 18A) you should be OK.

The 5-15 and the 5-20 as well as the 6-15 and the 6-20 all use the same
amount of metal to metal contact surface area. So a problem will occur
if you try to pull/draw more current through it that it was designed for
(been-there, done-that). I target 16A or below, and no more than 18A.

I am not recommending this reseller, but their web site has useful data
on the Elcon 2000
http://evolveelectrics.com/PDF/Elcon/PFC_2000+.pdf
AC Input Current - maximum 15A
AC Input Current – nominal 14 A rms @ 120 VAC / 9.5 A rms @ 230 VAC
DC Output Current - 115vac ... 8A@168VDC
DC Output Current - 230vac ... 9A@168VDC

Your cords & plugs would be cooler running off 240VAC because you would
be drawing less AC current through them. But you would likely only gain
about 1A of output current because of your charger model. I suggest you
try it and see the increase in output current as a test. Then you can
make up your mind if it is worth all the effort. For me, an increase in
charging ability is, but that is just me.

*Note: If you make an adapter to use your 5-15 cord on 240VAC, an
electrician seeing all of that would be upset (its not to code, thus not
legal, someone could get shocked), but it will work fine (I have done
it, it works). If you do this, do not use it at shows/EVents where a
site/company electrician could notice it and get on your case about it
(a show stopper, come already charged or after you leave charge
elsewhere).

Actually, I have not seen this type of question before because I seemed
to be the only EV-charging-nut doing this wild-n-wooly stuff.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Willie2
All the Chinese chargers I have seen have come equipped with regular
120vac plugs.  It probably doesn't make any difference, but I have
adopted the 240vac 20amp NEMA plug as my standard.  One hot probe
perpendicular to the other.  There is a similar but not compatible
120vac plug.  I believe both of those plugs have a higher current
rating than the "regular" plug with parallel probes.  I've removed
all the 120vac plugs from my chargers and installed the ones described
above.  Since I have a 120vac adapter on my car's inlet, I can and do
run 120vac through those plugs also.

Power comes into the car through a hefty, probably 50 amp, connector.
Then through the BMS relay.  Then branches into three of the 20 amp
receptacles.  And on to the charger(s).  With 12ga wire, I probably
should limit my current draw to ~20 ac amps though.  I've run as many
as four chargers with a total power of about 7500 watts; that should be
about 30 amps @ 240vac.  Right now, I can run three chargers with total
power of about 5000 watts.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Mike Willmon
PLEASE!!!  do not use the 5-15 and 5-16 plugs on 240VAC.  While it may work
fine in a "rigged" application, please do not let the public see this.
 Many in a crowd will not know the difference but it only takes one
electrician or engineer in a crowd to mention the transgression.  Then it
gives us all a bad name as a bunch of crackpots.  While I do make shortcuts
on occasion for testing, I cannot in good conscience show that to the
public as a representation of "where EV's are going".

PLEASE!!! pay the few extra beans for the proper plug and receptacles.  If
you must use the 5-15 or 5-20, then just be happy with 120VAC.  And
besides, if you ever come across a place with  legitimate 240 V outlets
they won't have 5-15 or 5-20 receptacles on them anyway.

Mike

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Willie McKemie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the Chinese chargers I have seen have come equipped with regular
> 120vac plugs.  It probably doesn't make any difference, but I have
> adopted the 240vac 20amp NEMA plug as my standard.  One hot probe
> perpendicular to the other.  There is a similar but not compatible
> 120vac plug.  I believe both of those plugs have a higher current
> rating than the "regular" plug with parallel probes.  I've removed
> all the 120vac plugs from my chargers and installed the ones described
> above.  Since I have a 120vac adapter on my car's inlet, I can and do
> run 120vac through those plugs also.
>
> Power comes into the car through a hefty, probably 50 amp, connector.
> Then through the BMS relay.  Then branches into three of the 20 amp
> receptacles.  And on to the charger(s).  With 12ga wire, I probably
> should limit my current draw to ~20 ac amps though.  I've run as many
> as four chargers with a total power of about 7500 watts; that should be
> about 30 amps @ 240vac.  Right now, I can run three chargers with total
> power of about 5000 watts.
>
> --
> Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
> http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
> Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  77 days  7 hours 47 minutes

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Bill Dube
Also, _someone_ will plug in a 120V device into the receptacle,
because it will fit, guaranteed. (Ask me how I know.)

As Mike says, get the right connectors.

Once you change the connectors over to 240VAC, then you can make an
adapter pigtail to allow you to plug your charger into ordinary
120VAC outlets. This "step down" type adapter, while not 100% up to
code, is _much_ less of a hazard than wiring up a standard 120V
receptacle for 240V.

Bill D.

At 12:19 PM 6/5/2012, you wrote:

>PLEASE!!!  do not use the 5-15 and 5-16 plugs on 240VAC.  While it may work
>fine in a "rigged" application, please do not let the public see this.
>  Many in a crowd will not know the difference but it only takes one
>electrician or engineer in a crowd to mention the transgression.  Then it
>gives us all a bad name as a bunch of crackpots.  While I do make shortcuts
>on occasion for testing, I cannot in good conscience show that to the
>public as a representation of "where EV's are going".
>
>PLEASE!!! pay the few extra beans for the proper plug and receptacles.  If
>you must use the 5-15 or 5-20, then just be happy with 120VAC.  And
>besides, if you ever come across a place with  legitimate 240 V outlets
>they won't have 5-15 or 5-20 receptacles on them anyway.
>
>Mike
>

>On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Willie McKemie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > All the Chinese chargers I have seen have come equipped with regular
> > 120vac plugs.  It probably doesn't make any difference, but I have
> > adopted the 240vac 20amp NEMA plug as my standard.  One hot probe
> > perpendicular to the other.  There is a similar but not compatible
> > 120vac plug.  I believe both of those plugs have a higher current
> > rating than the "regular" plug with parallel probes.  I've removed
> > all the 120vac plugs from my chargers and installed the ones described
> > above.  Since I have a 120vac adapter on my car's inlet, I can and do
> > run 120vac through those plugs also.
> >
> > Power comes into the car through a hefty, probably 50 amp, connector.
> > Then through the BMS relay.  Then branches into three of the 20 amp
> > receptacles.  And on to the charger(s).  With 12ga wire, I probably
> > should limit my current draw to ~20 ac amps though.  I've run as many
> > as four chargers with a total power of about 7500 watts; that should be
> > about 30 amps @ 240vac.  Right now, I can run three chargers with total
> > power of about 5000 watts.
> >
> > --
> > Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
> > http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
> > Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  77 days  7 hours 47 minutes

>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Robert MacDowell-2
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Ben Jarrett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have an Elcon 2000 charger.  Up until now, I've been charging with 115V.
>  It puts about 7amps at 170V
> into my LiFePO4 pack.  I haven't checked how much it draws on the 115V.
>  I'm guessing around 11-12 amps.
>
> I'd like to start charging with 230V.  The connector on the charger looks
> like it can handle it...
> until I get to the first plug with is a 115V computer power supply-ish
> looking connector.

So on the charger, there's a male receptacle that uses a "standard PC
plug"?  To be crystal clear, that plug/socket has a name, the IEC 320
standard, C13 female plug and C14 male receptacle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320_C14#C14

C13/C14 are designed to work fine with both 120VAC and 240VAC.

You just need to visit your local PC curio shop, Amazon or McMaster-Carr
and obtain the correct power cord, that has the IEC C13 and whatever plug
fits your 240VAC outlet on your wall.

Wall receptacles also have names.  120V plugs use NEMA 1 or NEMA 5.
240V plugs use NEMA 6.
240V heavy-amp plugs (dryers, ranges) use NEMA 14.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_5

If you do not have NEMA 6 on your wall, get one, they're cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AUCOCO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wolfharper-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U3I1S0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wolfharper-20

Then one of these cords and you're done.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCP266/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wolfharper-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JCP270/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wolfharper-20

Robert

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Ben Jarrett

Thanks.  I need to start usig the proper names.  Thanks for the clarity.

-ben

Robert MacDowell wrote:
> So on the charger, there's a male receptacle that uses a "standard
> PC plug"? To be crystal clear, that plug/socket has a name, the IEC
> 320 standard, C13 female plug and C14 male receptacle.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320_C14#C14
> C13/C14 are designed to work fine with both 120VAC and 240VAC.

Yes; but these are also normally limited to 6 amps maximum. If you're
going to use an IEC plug and cord, be sure you get one labelled for the
current you will actually be using.

Don't count on an offshore charger automatically coming with a suitable
cord or connector.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
        -- Albert Einstein
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: 115V plug handling 230V AC?

Mike Nickerson
Hi Ben,

I faced the same question around the same charger.  My Elcon 2000+ came with
a 110V / 15A plug.   My thought process was as follows:

I wanted to charge at 110V at work and 220V at home.
I didn't want a cord with a standard connector on one end and a 220V plug on
the other end that could be used to blow up equipment.
I also wanted all connectors to be safe when the plug was in the wall, but
not in the car.
I knew the Elcon charger could be drawing 15A+ on 110V and 10A on 220V and
wanted to be well within specifications in all cases.

I chose a twistlock receptacle for the car that was rated for 250V and 30A.
I then made extension cords for twistlock to 110V/20A and twistlock to
220V/30A.  I used a Leviton 2625F receptacle.  That is an NEMA L6-30P
socket.  It is a flanged inlet locking receptacle.  It happened to fit
exactly in the fuel filler hole on my Honda.

Mike

I probably won't use my original fuel fill since it's in the back of my jeep and I want
a plug up front.

How come you didn't use something like a NEMA 14-50?  I guess there's no use using the ground?

So for the 120V plug, you use hot/neutral/ground and for 220V you use hot/hot/neutral going
into the Elcon?

thanks,
-ben

On Jun 5, 2012, at 11:44 PM, Mike Nickerson wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I faced the same question around the same charger.  My Elcon 2000+ came with
> a 110V / 15A plug.   My thought process was as follows:
>
> I wanted to charge at 110V at work and 220V at home.
> I didn't want a cord with a standard connector on one end and a 220V plug on
> the other end that could be used to blow up equipment.
> I also wanted all connectors to be safe when the plug was in the wall, but
> not in the car.
> I knew the Elcon charger could be drawing 15A+ on 110V and 10A on 220V and
> wanted to be well within specifications in all cases.
>
> I chose a twistlock receptacle for the car that was rated for 250V and 30A.
> I then made extension cords for twistlock to 110V/20A and twistlock to
> 220V/30A.  I used a Leviton 2625F receptacle.  That is an NEMA L6-30P
> socket.  It is a flanged inlet locking receptacle.  It happened to fit
> exactly in the fuel filler hole on my Honda.
>
> Mike

Two reasons I didn't use something like a NEMA 14-50.
First, my impression is that they are very difficult to insert and remove.
I think back on wrestling with range connections.  I am inserting and
removing the cable twice per day and wanted something easier to insert and
remove.  I think twistlock connectors work pretty well for that.
Second, my 110V and my 220V wiring are both 3 wire cables.  My 110V is hot,
neutral  and ground, of course.  My 220V wiring is hot, hot, ground.  My
intention when originally installing the circuit was for a 220V welder.  It
doesn't have a neutral so I can't run split 110V circuits.

My Elcon charger is connected to the hot, hot/neutral, ground lines.  I also
have the ground from the house connected to chassis ground for safety
purposes.  If the car is plugged in, it is grounded.

The 220V pigtail has a NEMA 6-30 plug and matching receptacle in the garage.
This should inform those in the know that the wiring is hot, hot, ground
instead of hot, neutral, ground.

I hope this makes sense.  This is definitely an area you want to think
through carefully and do right!

Mike

J Bills
>>Two reasons I didn't use something like a NEMA 14-50.
First, my impression is that they are very difficult to insert and remove.<<

I use this one from amazon, it has a handle on it.  makes it a lot
easier to plug/unplug:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55255-PowerGrip-Replacement-Plug/dp/B000PGVZ30/