18650's for the masses. Start with bikes.

18650's for the masses. Start with bikes.

Lawrence Rhodes
A while back I saw a video of Bill Dube's assembly line spot welder at work.
How much trouble is it to pack a pack & is it ready for prime time?  I'm sure
it's great for a racer but it's gotta be something that will work for the rest
of us EVentully.  I bet a hundred mile range on a chopper style bike(with
faring) should be possible if you packed enough of those little darlings into
each pack.  At this point I don't EVen know how many ah each one contains but
from time to time I see the prices fall and there has to be better batteries out
there than the ones from even a couple of years back.  AC Propulsion promised 30
dollar BMS modules.  Is anyone doing this now?  Lawrence Rhodes....

Re: 18650's for the masses. Start with bikes.

mark at evie-systems
What 'kind' of BMS modules?  What did they do (or what were they promised to do)?  I've got all kinds of ideas on BMS and other sorts of 'modules' but the costs of building something like that, especially in the US, is startling... and prohibitive.  When ever someone looks at what *I* have, the first question I get asked is "can you make it cheaper"?

Lawrence Rhodes wrote
AC Propulsion promised 30 dollar BMS modules.  Is anyone doing this now?  Lawrence Rhodes....
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: 18650's for the masses. Start with bikes.

Cruisin
I built my battery pack out of 18650 cells in 2009 using 6500 2.7ah cells
in a 70 VW show car. Powering a AC50 motor and Curtis controller I have
about 30kwh capable of up to 125 miles in the SF bay area. The cells were
assembled using a soldering iron 3sx4p =16v x 56p x7s =112v. email me at
cruisin@live.com if more info is needed.