1988 ford aerostar

CHARLIEP
this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be aerodynamic,and in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for ev?

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

Bob Bath

a)  Only in a stick;
b) Minivans are tough (in my opinion) to stick batteries in, if you wish to preserve passenger space.  I didn't boot the link, but if it's a cargo van, super.  If it's passenger, where do you intend to put the racks such that there is access to the batteries for maintenance, but they won't intrude on footroom?

A final thought: Check the EVAlbum to see if someone has been down that path before.
peace,

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23 "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter converting the sedan; the del Sol, or the hatchback. Each runs 144V/18 batteries.  Primary focus on component/instrumentation/ battery placement and other considerations.  For more info,   http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                       __/__|__\__
             =D-------/   - -     \
                      'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

> this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be
> aerodynamic,and
> in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for
> ev?
> archive at Nabble.com.

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

SteveS-5
And you should be able to get the actual drag coefficient of a spec
sheet somewhere. Don't trust looks. Also even it has a small
coefficient, it probably has a large frontal area which may still result
in a large drag value.

- SteveS

Bob Bath wrote:

> a)  Only in a stick;
> b) Minivans are tough (in my opinion) to stick batteries in, if you wish to preserve passenger space.  I didn't boot the link, but if it's a cargo van, super.  If it's passenger, where do you intend to put the racks such that there is access to the batteries for maintenance, but they won't intrude on footroom?
>
> A final thought: Check the EVAlbum to see if someone has been down that path before.
> peace,
>

> Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23 "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter converting the sedan; the del Sol, or the hatchback. Each runs 144V/18 batteries.  Primary focus on component/instrumentation/ battery placement and other considerations.  For more info,   http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
>  ____
>                        __/__|__\__
>              =D-------/   - -     \
>                       'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
> OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

damon henry

I've owned several of these vans.  As far as vans go, they are not bad candidates.  Mine ususally averaged between 17 - 24 mpg, so their efficiency is pretty good for a van.  They are also built fairly stout, much more so than a lot of other minivans.   I often thought you could redo the passenger seats and get two pretty good size battery boxes underneath the seats.  I would not expect you to have much luck getting more than 30 mile range however, as I'm not sure how much extra weight you are good for.  If you load it down with batteries then you will not have enough weight left for passengers, and if you are not planning on room for passengers, then why a van?

damon

> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 04:57:56 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] 1988 ford aerostar
>

> a)  Only in a stick;
> b) Minivans are tough (in my opinion) to stick batteries in, if you wish to preserve passenger space.  I didn't boot the link, but if it's a cargo van, super.  If it's passenger, where do you intend to put the racks such that there is access to the batteries for maintenance, but they won't intrude on footroom?
>
> A final thought: Check the EVAlbum to see if someone has been down that path before.
> peace,

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

Roger Heuckeroth
A good indicator of how aerodynamic a vehicle is, is to look at its
EPA highway MPG rating.  If it really is a good EV candidate it should
have decent MPG.  A quick search on the internet shows:

1988 Ford Aerostar  -  22 MPG EPA Highway

in comparison,

1988 Dodge Caravan  -  26 MPG EPA Highway

So, it doesn't look like the wedge helps much.

On Feb 27, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Charlie P wrote:

> this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be
> aerodynamic,and
> in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for ev?
> at Nabble.com.

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

joe-22
I have a '88 Dodge Caravan, and it doesn't get 26 MPG ever! We took a trip
to Mexico recently, and the best we got was 25; the average was 20.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

>A good indicator of how aerodynamic a vehicle is, is to look at its
> EPA highway MPG rating.  If it really is a good EV candidate it should
> have decent MPG.  A quick search on the internet shows:
>
> 1988 Ford Aerostar  -  22 MPG EPA Highway
>
> in comparison,
>
> 1988 Dodge Caravan  -  26 MPG EPA Highway
>
> So, it doesn't look like the wedge helps much.
>

> On Feb 27, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Charlie P wrote:
>

>> this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be
>> aerodynamic,and
>> in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for ev?
>> --
>> at Nabble.com.

13:27:00

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

Jeff Shanab
> And you should be able to get the actual drag coefficient of a spec
> sheet somewhere. Don't trust looks. Also even it has a small
> coefficient, it probably has a large frontal area which may still
> result in a large drag value.
>
> - SteveS

Amen, look at the back too, putting the air back together is just as
important, If not more.

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

Roger Heuckeroth
I guess that was based on the EPA test cycle back in 1988.   I'm
surprised that you still have one on the road.  I thought they were
built kind of disposable back then.  Out here in the Northeast you
don't see them on the road anymore.  Salt eats them up too quickly.

On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:18 PM, joe wrote:

> I have a '88 Dodge Caravan, and it doesn't get 26 MPG ever! We took
> a trip
> to Mexico recently, and the best we got was 25; the average was 20.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

joe-22
In Oregon, we don't use much salt on the road - the Caravan I have is in
really good condition; it has just over 100,000 miles on it now, and was
painstakingly taken care of by the previous owner.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

>I guess that was based on the EPA test cycle back in 1988.   I'm
> surprised that you still have one on the road.  I thought they were
> built kind of disposable back then.  Out here in the Northeast you
> don't see them on the road anymore.  Salt eats them up too quickly.
>
> On Feb 27, 2009, at 4:18 PM, joe wrote:
>
>> I have a '88 Dodge Caravan, and it doesn't get 26 MPG ever! We took
>> a trip
>> to Mexico recently, and the best we got was 25; the average was 20.
>>
>> Joseph H. Strubhar
>>
>> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>>
>> E-mail: [hidden email]

13:27:00

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

EVDL Administrator
On 28 Feb 2009 at 7:14, joe wrote:

> In Oregon, we don't use much salt on the road - the Caravan I have is in
> really good condition; it has just over 100,000 miles on it now, and was
> painstakingly taken care of by the previous owner.

What are you going to use for conversion?  It sounds like a good candidate,
if it has a manual transmission (admittedly pretty rare).  You might talk to
Lee Hart; if my memory is still working right, at one time he had some plans
to convert an early Dodge Caravan. He did have one with a stick shift.  I
think he ended up selling the Caravan as an ICE though.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

joe-22
If I was going to try a van, I'd probably pick an older Caravan, Aerostar,
or a VW bus. I have a 1996 Windstar with engine problems, but it is probably
too heavy to be practical. I have no plans at this point to convert a van.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

EVDL Administrator wrote:
>  What are you going to use for conversion?  It sounds like a good
>  candidate, if it has a manual transmission (admittedly pretty rare).
>  You might talk to Lee Hart; if my memory is still working right, at
>  one time he had some plans to convert an early Dodge Caravan. He did
>  have one with a stick shift.  I think he ended up selling the Caravan
>  as an ICE though.

You have a great memory, David. Yes, I bought a 1994 Plymouth Voyager
(same as the Dodge Caravan) with the 2.5L 4-cyl engine and a 4-speed
manual transmission, intending to convert it into an EV. It was fairly
light, and got great gas mileage (30 mpg pretty regularly). But plans
changed; I wound up converting the LeCar instead.

I think it would have made a good conversion. There is room under the
floor for a fairly large number of batteries, though they would need to
be low-profile like Hawkers (not floodeds). The battery box would
probably need to be dropped from the bottom so you could leave the floor
intact (it's a unibody, so the floor is structrural.)
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

CHARLIEP
It would be great for me ,where is it ?
joe-22 wrote

E-mail: joe@gremcoinc.com

>> In Oregon, we don't use much salt on the road - the Caravan I have is in
>> really good condition; it has just over 100,000 miles on it now, and was
>> painstakingly taken care of by the previous owner.
>
> What are you going to use for conversion?  It sounds like a good
> candidate,
> if it has a manual transmission (admittedly pretty rare).  You might talk
> Lee Hart; if my memory is still working right, at one time he had some
> plans
> to convert an early Dodge Caravan. He did have one with a stick shift.  I
> think he ended up selling the Caravan as an ICE though.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

> Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

13:27:00

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

CHARLIEP
My web site is open for business,charles Price1932@charles price1932.org
Charlie P wrote

this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be aerodynamic,and in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for ev?

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

CHARLIEP
Sorry disregard web site [error] more later
Charlie P wrote
this van has a 45 degree [approx]  front profile, should be aerodynamic,and in beautiful cond . would you think it a good candidate for ev?

Re: 1988 ford aerostar

joe-22
28 miles south of Portland, OR

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

>> If I was going to try a van, I'd probably pick an older Caravan,
>> Aerostar,
>> or a VW bus. I have a 1996 Windstar with engine problems, but it is
>> probably
>> too heavy to be practical. I have no plans at this point to convert a
>> van.
>>
>> Joseph H. Strubhar
>>
>> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>>
>> E-mail: [hidden email]