2012 Volvo V60 pih Station Wagon U.S. trials

2012 Volvo V60 pih Station Wagon U.S. trials

brucedp3

Not everyone at Volvo was listening: want higher mpge diesel option

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1061371_volvo-listens-to-fans-brings-v60-plug-in-hybrid-to-u-s-for-2013
[images] Volvo Listens to Fans, Brings V60 Plug-in Hybrid to U.S. for
2013  By Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield  Jun 10 2011

[image
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2012-volvo-v60-phev_100341213_l.jpg
2012 Volvo V60 PHEV]

Ever since we told you all about the 2012 Volvo V60 Plug-in Hyrbid
Station Wagon after we were invited to Volvo’s Swedish headquarters
to get a sneak peak before its 2011 Geneva Motor Show debut, most of
you have been telling us one thing.

You wanted it to be available in the U.S.
Someone at Volvo must have been listening.

Yesterday Volvo CEO Stefan Jacoby confirmed at a press conference in
Washington, D.C. that the U.S. will be getting the V60 PHEV in 2013,
a full year behind Europe.

There’s a good reason for the delay, however. Instead of the 2.4
liter diesel D5 engine found in the [European] version of the V60 PHEV
we drove in Germany last month, the U.S. version will feature a
gasoline engine instead.

[images
http://www.allcarselectric.com/pictures/1061371_volvo-listens-to-fans-brings-v60-plug-in-hybrid-to-u-s-for-2013_gallery-1#100341217
2012 Volvo V60 PHEVGallery]

While the U.S. specification 2013 Volvo V60 PHEV will have the same
52 kilowatt AC motor driving the rear wheels in a through-the-road
hybrid configuration, the same 30 mile all-electric range, the
ability to tow, and its electronic all-wheel drive system, as its
European sibling, expect its fuel economy to be lower than the diesel
version.

As diesel engines are generally more fuel efficient than their
gasoline counterparts, expect a drop in the V60’s overall combined
fuel economy, at least on paper.

Volvo hasn’t released details yet of which gasoline engine it is
using in the U.S. version of the V60, but we think in order to truly
woo consumers and be competitive will have to squeeze an economy
figure of 100 miles-per-gallon out of the gasoline-electric
drivetrain - although as we’ve said before, MPG figures for plug-in
hyrbids depend on the duty cycle used for testing and can be pretty
meaningless for real-world driving.

Initially, the V60 PHEV will be offered only as a test-fleet vehicle
of unkown volume much like the European version, but we hope Volvo
will make a retail version available after the initial trial phase is
complete.

Sticker price is as yet unknown, but we expect the 2013 Volvo V60
PHEV to be squarely aimed at the  premium end of the plug-in car
market.  However, as the first plug-in hybrid station wagon for the
U.S. market we think it is certainly going to get a lot of attention
from those needing something a little larger than the 2011 Chevrolet
Volt for trips to the mountains at the weekend.
[© 2010 AllCarsElectric.com. All Rights Reserved]

{brucedp.150m.com}