20s A123 battery pack for ebike

Below is my order and a few bucks for buyer protection. This will be an experiment and learning experience. Lawrence Rhodes

Order details
Sales order

Sold by zhan-lingj ( 383 ) Order number: ???????????Processed by PayPal

Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Friday, Aug 21,2020

60V/73V 5A Charger for 60V (20S ) LiFePO4 BatteryPack/E-BIKE.AC110V 73V OUTPUT

Item price            USD25.95

Quantity              1

Item number       173860920788

Shipping service                EconomyShipping from outside US

Sales order

Sold by elec-module58 ( 14539 ) Order number: ?????????Processed by PayPal

Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Wednesday, Jul 22,2020

20S 60V 60A Lifepo4 Battery BMS W/Balance WaterproofProtection

Item price            USD36.98

Quantity              1

Item number       113793800015

Shipping service                StandardSpeedPAK from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan

Sales order

Sold by squaretradeus ( 553444 ) Order number:24-05211-07170 Processed by PayPal

Re: 20s A123 battery pack for ebike

Sounds like a heck of a deal. Please keep us informed!

Bill D.

On 6/11/2020 2:42 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Below is my order and a few bucks for buyer protection. This will be an experiment and learning experience. Lawrence Rhodes
>
> Order details
> Sales order
>
> Sold by zhan-lingj ( 383 ) Order number: ???????????Processed by PayPal
>
> Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Friday, Aug 21,2020
>
> 60V/73V 5A Charger for 60V (20S ) LiFePO4 BatteryPack/E-BIKE.AC110V 73V OUTPUT
>
> Item price            USD25.95
>
> Quantity              1
>
> Item number       173860920788
>
> Shipping service                EconomyShipping from outside US
>
> Sales order
>
> Sold by elec-module58 ( 14539 ) Order number: ?????????Processed by PayPal
>
> Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Wednesday, Jul 22,2020
>
> 20S 60V 60A Lifepo4 Battery BMS W/Balance WaterproofProtection
>
> Item price            USD36.98
>
> Quantity              1
>
> Item number       113793800015
>
> Shipping service                StandardSpeedPAK from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
>
> Sales order
>
> Sold by squaretradeus ( 553444 ) Order number:24-05211-07170 Processed by PayPal

Re: 20s A123 battery pack for ebike

I'd be wary of a cheap BMS even *with* a wiring diagram. Without one?
Contact the seller.

On 6/23/2020 7:39 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

>   The BMS and Charger came the other day way earlier than promised. Both packages came from an address no more than 10 miles from my house....maybe there are stockpiles in the US? But why would they say from China using speed pack.  Any way no instructions came with the package. The BMS looks professionally manufactured. Has a 5 and 20 pin connector. It is the size of a small smart phone and very heavy. I have no idea how to hook up the negative. The diagram(on ebay) assumes a lot of knowledge I don't have.  I am not even sure I can safely start this project.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/20S-60V-BMS-30A-40A-50A-60A-Lifepo4-Battery-BMS-W-Balance-Waterproof-Protection/113793800015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413965228886&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 If this is a common BMS with maybe a video somewhere that might help me. Maybe someone here has used this model.  About all I know is the 20 pins go on each parallel connection of which there will be 20. The P will be two. Plenty for a small battery for a bicycle. But documentation in the form of diagrams is lacking.  But for the money if I can figure it out not bad.  Lawrence Rhodes
>
>      On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 7:42:45 PM PDT, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Below is my order and a few bucks for buyer protection. This will be an experiment and learning experience. Lawrence Rhodes
>
> Order details
> Sales order
>
> Sold by zhan-lingj ( 383 ) Order number: ???????????Processed by PayPal
>
> Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Friday, Aug 21,2020
>
> 60V/73V 5A Charger for 60V (20S ) LiFePO4 BatteryPack/E-BIKE.AC110V 73V OUTPUT
>
> Item price            USD25.95
>
> Quantity              1
>
> Item number       173860920788
>
> Shipping service                EconomyShipping from outside US
>
> Sales order
>
> Sold by elec-module58 ( 14539 ) Order number: ?????????Processed by PayPal
>
> Estimated delivery Monday, Jun 29, 2020 - Wednesday, Jul 22,2020
>
> 20S 60V 60A Lifepo4 Battery BMS W/Balance WaterproofProtection
>
> Item price            USD36.98
>
> Quantity              1
>
> Item number       113793800015
>
> Shipping service                StandardSpeedPAK from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan
>
> Sales order
>
> Sold by squaretradeus ( 553444 ) Order number:24-05211-07170 Processed by PayPal

Re: 20s A123 battery pack for ebike

From my admittedly limited experience, most electronic devices you buy from
Chinese sellers are cheap and poorly documented.  If you get instructions,
they'll usually be in "Chinglish" and confusing at best.

IMO, those gadgets are iffy enough for people who know what they're doing.
I'm an electronics hacker, not an engineer.  I don't have the background to
work safely with undocumented alien electronics.

You can often get the same junk on Ebay and Amazon from US sellers who've
written up better documentation.  (Or maybe they haven't.  Read the
reviews.)  Some of them even test them to weed out the QC failures.  (Often
with directly imported Chinese stuff, YOU are the QC.)

You pay more for the documented items, but maybe not more than you'd pay if
you had to order one or five replacements after letting the smoke out.

As for me, I don't mess with assembling lithium batteries.  I don't trust
myself with something that can burn my house down if I get it wrong.
Instead, I buy my lithium batteries (what few I use) as complete configured
units already assembled with BMS, from people and manufacturers who I'm
prettty sure know what they're doing.  I try to maximize my chance at
success by reading the online reviews and comments in places like Endless
Sphere.

That's what led me to Ping Battery several years ago.  They cost a lot more
than doing it myself, or even the anonymous duct tape batteries on Ebay, but
when they arrived I plugged in the BMSes (following the clear instructions),
charged them, and put them to work.  The batteries have held up well, though
the chargers haven't.

As always, YMMV.  Good luck.  Don't charge it in the house or garage.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Things I once thought were funny are scary now. I often feel like
     a resident of Pompeii who has been asked for some humorous comments
     on lava.

                                        -- Tom Lehrer

Re: 20s A123 battery pack for ebike

Here is the response from the seller on eBay. Confuses seller with manufacturer.

hi sir, you bought 20s bms , it has two cable , you only as my board port to connect it,. for you said item # 113793800015 , i suggest you ask that seller how to wiring it , We only sell protection boards, as long as there is no problem with the wiring method, the product has no quality problems.

I suggest you ask a more professional friend to solve the problem for you.

you can take photo , i help you ask my supplier whether can use it.

so sorry again for you.
best regards

So buyer beware. Documentation not included. I suspect I can track down the proper wiring diagram. I saw the 12v 60 amp version controlling much larger cells. The Daly company seems to be a big producer.  Lawrence Rhodes

On 6/25/20 11:35 AM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Here is the response from the seller on eBay. Confuses seller with manufacturer.
>
> hi sir, you bought 20s bms , it has two cable , you only as my board port to connect it,. for you said item # 113793800015 , i suggest you ask that seller how to wiring it , We only sell protection boards, as long as there is no problem with the wiring method, the product has no quality problems.
>
> I suggest you ask a more professional friend to solve the problem for you.
>
> you can take photo , i help you ask my supplier whether can use it.
>
> so sorry again for you.
> best regards

China is dominating world commerce.  Those without chinese language
skill are at a disadvantage.  OTOH, a market opportunity exists for
those with China skill and want provide service for vetting and
documenting chinese products.

On 25 Jun 2020 at 16:35, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> So buyer beware. Documentation not included.

Yeah, that costs extra.

If you want instructions for this cheap stuff, you buy the same cheap stuff
from an importer  in the West.  If you've chosen well, the seller will have
written up reasonably clear instructions.  He'll mark up the product to pay
himself for his time.  Wouldn't you?

If you're REALLY lucky, maybe he'll even let you call or email with
questions.  That might cost still more, heaven forbid.

Sometimes you can find somebody in a web forum who's figured one of these
direct-from-the-sweatshop cheapies out.  The time to look for that is BEFORE
you buy.  And then you may or may not be able to get the same gadget the
online guy documented.  Turnover of these Chinese manufacturers can be
quick, and the regularly re-engineer them to make them cheaper and more
profitable to build.

All this messing around takes time.  How much is your time worth?  Did you
save enough on the BMS's price to pay for that time?

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     I am the one with no secrets. They [the Chinese government] have
     secrets. It is only because they have secrets that they can imagine
     everyone else having them too.

                                        -- Ai Weiwei

Re: 20s A123 battery pack for ebike

I got my cells from Cor for about 2 dollars a piece. Two strings of 20 is forty cells. 80 bucks. 36 for the BMS and 27 for the charger and my time and soldering/wires. Not much for a 5ah 60v pack. Since Covid I have plenty of time. Gotta get a hot glue gun. Turns out there is a reason they use the same diagram for my BMS for all the models.  Turns out to save money they used a 16 and a five pin flat cable. I should have counted the pins and it would have made sense. I was over thinking it not knowing they used two cables to save money.  Probably have millions of 16 and 5 pin cables. Not many 21 pin connectors thus my confusion.  Duh.  Should have counted first and not just looked at the two cables thinking of some exotic connection. It will be a very simple construction. BTW the Daly company is very big. Plenty of YouTubers have explained the unit in it's different voltages. Very robust for the money.   Lawrence Rhodes

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 15:26:05 -0400
From: "EVDL Administrator" <[hidden email]>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>