450km/279mi Kolibri battery

brucedp4

Kolibri battery is due to undergo a series of road tests

http://www.wallstreetdaily.com/2011/05/09/long-range-electric-car/
[video] Record Range for New Electric Car Battery… 279 Miles!
May 9 2011

Powered by the very latest battery technology, this could be the car
of the future.

The battery uses lithium-polymer materials, making it lighter and more
efficient than any other, according to its developers DBM Energy.

Swen Streubel converted this car to run on the so-called Kolibri
battery to demonstrate its practicality. One charge and 450 kilometers
(279 miles) later he says he couldn’t be more satisfied.

“This is no miracle. We have all of the components which are available
in the car and in theory we can show that it is possible to travel via
electricity today and that it is suitable for daily life.”

Most electric vehicles lose their luggage space to the batteries. Not
so with the Kolibri. And inventor, Mirko Hanneman, thinks the cost of
the new battery will not be issue.

“We don’t think that the costs for the car will be high. We expect
that the car, if we were the manufacturer, would not cost more than a
similar fuel-run model.”

The Kolibri battery hit the headlines for the wrong reasons when its
record-breaking trip of 600km on a single charge was criticized by
Germany’s automobile association, which had concerns about the nature
of the test – not the technology.

As Klaus Reindl, spokesperson for the German Motoring Club explained:
“The car was out of the eye of journalists for longer periods of time.
The whole thing was not transparent and that is what we criticized
back then.”

But despite the alleged lack of transparency, they have no doubts
about DBM’s achievement or the battery’s performance.

The Kolibri is due to undergo a series of road tests later this year
and could yet revolutionize how we travel in the years to come.

Bottom line: A German company has developed a battery-powered electric
car capable of driving 450 kilometers (279 miles) on a single charge.
By comparison, the Nissan Leaf [EV] has a range of 160 kilometers
(99 miles) per charge ...
[© 2011 The White Cap Research Group, LLC. All rights reserved]

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: 450km/279mi Kolibri battery

NeilBlanchard
Thanks for the update Bruce.  Is this test using the same capacity (~99kWh?) as the 375 mile drive?

Neil

Re: 450km/279mi Kolibri battery

AMPhibian
Check it out, Swen Steubel is a fellow EV converter:  http://www.evalbum.com/2602
http://www.le-mobile.de/
This is looking more legit all the time.

brucedp4 wrote

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: 450km/279mi Kolibri battery

NeilBlanchard
Thanks again!

I *really* want one on these for my CarBEN EV...

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/