A123 power tools

dave cover-2
I was going through the mass of circulars that came with the Thursday
paper (thicker than the paper whole paper usually is) and I thought
I'd look for power tools  (drill, circualr saw, etc.) containing A123
cells. Why not support the company and buy their tools. The only
company advertising lithium cells was Ryobi. I though DeWalt was
behind A1223, but they didn't say anything using lithium in their
batteries. What power tools contain A123 cells? (other than
Killacycle)

Scrathing my head in New England,

Dave Cover

Re: A123 power tools

Derek Barger
Very soon 18v A123 lithium will be at the stores in the US as well as
28v. There will be free upgrades for awhile for those who have the
original 18v and 28v equipment. You can take it to the nearest dealer
and the they will make your drill, etc work with all batteries. The
new charger will also charge all the batteries including the A123's.
Ryobi is using Panasonic cells.

Here is a quick video of me welding up A123 cells. The same way I did
on the Killacycle pack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQTBoHPBxQ

Derek Barger

On Nov 24, 2007 7:55 AM, dave cover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was going through the mass of circulars that came with the Thursday
> paper (thicker than the paper whole paper usually is) and I thought
> I'd look for power tools  (drill, circualr saw, etc.) containing A123
> cells. Why not support the company and buy their tools. The only
> company advertising lithium cells was Ryobi. I though DeWalt was
> behind A1223, but they didn't say anything using lithium in their
> batteries. What power tools contain A123 cells? (other than
> Killacycle)
>
> Scrathing my head in New England,
>
> Dave Cover

Re: A123 power tools

Shawn Rutledge
What about the new Black & Decker VPX system?  A123 here

http://www.a123systems.com/newsite/index.php#/applications/cordless/

says they sell to B&D, but the VPX packs seem to have a rating of 1100
AH (but it's hard to find an authoritative spec).

On Nov 24, 2007 11:10 AM, Derek Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very soon 18v A123 lithium will be at the stores in the US as well as
> 28v. There will be free upgrades for awhile for those who have the
> original 18v and 28v equipment. You can take it to the nearest dealer
> and the they will make your drill, etc work with all batteries. The
> new charger will also charge all the batteries including the A123's.
> Ryobi is using Panasonic cells.
>
> Here is a quick video of me welding up A123 cells. The same way I did
> on the Killacycle pack.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQTBoHPBxQ
>
> Derek Barger
>

> On Nov 24, 2007 7:55 AM, dave cover <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was going through the mass of circulars that came with the Thursday
> > paper (thicker than the paper whole paper usually is) and I thought
> > I'd look for power tools  (drill, circualr saw, etc.) containing A123
> > cells. Why not support the company and buy their tools. The only
> > company advertising lithium cells was Ryobi. I though DeWalt was
> > behind A1223, but they didn't say anything using lithium in their
> > batteries. What power tools contain A123 cells? (other than
> > Killacycle)
> >
> > Scrathing my head in New England,
> >
> > Dave Cover

Black & Decker (was: A123 power tools)

(-Phil-)
Just so everyone knows, Black and Decker is who makes DeWalt tools.  It is
their "professional" division, where tools labeled "B&D" are generally
marketed for home use.

And 1100 AH?!  Do you mean 11.0 AH?   1.1 AH?

-Phil
> What about the new Black & Decker VPX system?  A123 here
>
> http://www.a123systems.com/newsite/index.php#/applications/cordless/
>
> says they sell to B&D, but the VPX packs seem to have a rating of 1100
> AH (but it's hard to find an authoritative spec).
>
> On Nov 24, 2007 11:10 AM, Derek Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Very soon 18v A123 lithium will be at the stores in the US as well as
>> 28v. There will be free upgrades for awhile for those who have the
>> original 18v and 28v equipment. You can take it to the nearest dealer
>> and the they will make your drill, etc work with all batteries. The
>> new charger will also charge all the batteries including the A123's.
>> Ryobi is using Panasonic cells.
>>
>> Here is a quick video of me welding up A123 cells. The same way I did
>> on the Killacycle pack.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQTBoHPBxQ
>>
>> Derek Barger
>>

>> On Nov 24, 2007 7:55 AM, dave cover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I was going through the mass of circulars that came with the Thursday
>> > paper (thicker than the paper whole paper usually is) and I thought
>> > I'd look for power tools  (drill, circualr saw, etc.) containing A123
>> > cells. Why not support the company and buy their tools. The only
>> > company advertising lithium cells was Ryobi. I though DeWalt was
>> > behind A1223, but they didn't say anything using lithium in their
>> > batteries. What power tools contain A123 cells? (other than
>> > Killacycle)
>> >
>> > Scrathing my head in New England,
>> >
>> > Dave Cover

Re: Black & Decker (was: A123 power tools)

Shawn Rutledge
On Nov 24, 2007 6:23 PM, (-Phil-) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just so everyone knows, Black and Decker is who makes DeWalt tools.  It is
> their "professional" division, where tools labeled "B&D" are generally
> marketed for home use.

OK.

> And 1100 AH?!  Do you mean 11.0 AH?   1.1 AH?

Sorry 1100 mAH.

Re: Black & Decker (was: A123 power tools)

Shawn Rutledge
There is some detailed info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768729

I didn't realize A123 made smaller cells, but apparently that's what
the VPX packs are.

Re: A123 power tools

On 24 Nov 2007 at 16:49, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> VPX packs seem to have a rating of 1100 AH

Over a thousand amp hours??? Are you sure that's not 1100 MILLI-Amp hours
(mAh)?

On 11/24/07, (-Phil-) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just so everyone knows, Black and Decker is who makes DeWalt tools.  It is
> their "professional" division, where tools labeled "B&D" are generally
> marketed for home use.

I just saw the VPX system for the time at Home Depot. It's based on a
7.2 volt battery, (must be two cells in there.) It's not a heavy duty
system, but it looks nice. It will probably sell well to the hobbiests
or the "casual" home owner. It's certainly not going to replace any
12, 14.4 or 18 volt drills, but it might be worth trying out.

The starter kit includes a drill, light, battery, charger and an
interesting saw that look like a miniature sawzall.

Looking forward to the big brothers of these tools.

Dave Cover

Re: A123 power tools

Peter VanDerWal
As I recall Black and Decker bought out Dewalt a couple years ago.

>From what I hear a lot of the Dewalt equipment dropped in quality after that.

> What about the new Black & Decker VPX system?  A123 here
>
> http://www.a123systems.com/newsite/index.php#/applications/cordless/
>
> says they sell to B&D, but the VPX packs seem to have a rating of 1100
> AH (but it's hard to find an authoritative spec).
>
> On Nov 24, 2007 11:10 AM, Derek Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Very soon 18v A123 lithium will be at the stores in the US as well as
>> 28v. There will be free upgrades for awhile for those who have the
>> original 18v and 28v equipment. You can take it to the nearest dealer
>> and the they will make your drill, etc work with all batteries. The
>> new charger will also charge all the batteries including the A123's.
>> Ryobi is using Panasonic cells.
>>
>> Here is a quick video of me welding up A123 cells. The same way I did
>> on the Killacycle pack.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQTBoHPBxQ
>>
>> Derek Barger
>>

>> On Nov 24, 2007 7:55 AM, dave cover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I was going through the mass of circulars that came with the Thursday
>> > paper (thicker than the paper whole paper usually is) and I thought
>> > I'd look for power tools  (drill, circualr saw, etc.) containing A123
>> > cells. Why not support the company and buy their tools. The only
>> > company advertising lithium cells was Ryobi. I though DeWalt was
>> > behind A1223, but they didn't say anything using lithium in their
>> > batteries. What power tools contain A123 cells? (other than
>> > Killacycle)
>> >
>> > Scrathing my head in New England,
>> >
>> > Dave Cover

wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

Re: A123 power tools

(-Phil-)
DeWalt tools have been made by Black & Decker since 1960.

I have a number of recent ones myself, and I think they are really well
built!

-Phil