AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

Cruisin
The motor and controller in a go-kart     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MD_4F7sNs&feature=share&list=UUQr0oBx2pLBh7Lj_C0HOEqw

My VW would do the same in 1st gear if I wanted to destroy the car. The AC-45 is now referred to as the "BEAST"

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

Jeffrey Jenkins
Cruisin wrote
The motor and controller in a go-kart  [link removed]

My VW would do the same in 1st gear if I wanted to destroy the car. The AC-45 is now referred to as the "BEAST"
Buyer beware, according to HPEVS:

http://www.hpevs.com/catalog-ac-31-ebay.htm

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

David Chapman-9
So what is the real deal on this motor and controller? To be blunt, you have basically been accused of fraud but I am sure that there are many sides to the story. Here is your chance to tell yours. BTW, who builds the motors? Dach.

________________________________
My VW would do the same in 1st gear if I wanted to destroy the car. The
AC-45 is now referred to as the "BEAST"

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

Cruisin
The AC-45 is a reworked AC-31 with a lot of improvements over the AC-31. As a Curtis trained programmer in VCL there is a lot of programming improvements in the controller as well. Too bad you don't know what you are talking about. I think you should be very careful using the word fraud against somebody you don't know anything about.

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

EVDL Administrator
Folks, just a reminder that when you post here, you're making public
statements in a public forum.  Not only are your messages delivered to
hundreds of other people, the EVDL is archived in several public places.
Once you've said something, there's no taking it back.

From the EVDL terms of service : http://www.evdl.org/pages/tos.html

"The EVDL and its owner, webmaster, administrator, and moderator(s) will
hold no liability, legal or otherwise, for your violations or infringements
of these terms of service, or of any national and/or international laws."

You are solely responsible for what you write here. I'm not an attorney and
this is not legal advice. However, if you're writing something which in some
jurisdictions might be considered libelous, slanderous, or otherwise might
expose you to liability, I suggest that you consult your attorney before
sending the message.

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

Cor van de Water
David,
I believe that nobody accused (except maybe the referred HPEVS website
"buyer beware" statements) and Dach invited Cruisin to tell his side.

From the response (besides an angry tone) I can see that he claims to
have improved the Curtis software programming, but there is no
explanation of the differences between the motor offered and its claimed
performance, nor whether the motor is run at voltages that the Curtis
hardware cannot support (voltages claimed in the specifications shown in
the Ebay ad).
Personally I am still waiting for an explanation of these apparent
discrepancies, since as far as I know, it is not explained by the answer
given about changed software programming, no matter how good that may
be.

Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

gtyler54
Looking at the motor graph it seems the ac-31 goes into the constant power
mode at about 1100 RPM with 72V. the first thing I think of with that is
"here is an opportunity for more power with higher voltage". Increasing it
to 144V would give about 80hp at 3500 RPM. The controller could need to be
reprogrammed to allow increased speed, but what about the voltage rating of
the FET/IGBT's? that may be getting too close to the limits, but they could
be changed too?
        That could make a nice package, maybe this is what David is doing?
If so, maybe there is nothing wrong, he would not want to give the details
for business reasons, and the original manufacturer would not like it
because it would take sales from their more expensive units?

From the EVDL terms of service : http://www.evdl.org/pages/tos.html

"The EVDL and its owner, webmaster, administrator, and moderator(s) will

hold no liability, legal or otherwise, for your violations or infringements
of these terms of service, or of any national and/or international laws."

You are solely responsible for what you write here. I'm not an attorney and
this is not legal advice. However, if you're writing something which in some
jurisdictions might be considered libelous, slanderous, or otherwise might
expose you to liability, I suggest that you consult your attorney before

sending the message.

http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Re: AC-45 & Curtis Controller in go-kart

Cruisin
You hit the nail on the head. You are right about the voltage. So far, our tests using a higher voltage to the AC-45 than 105VDC is outstanding. Currently testing it with the Curtis 1239 144 VDC controller at 144 VDC. We haven't jacked it up to 170 VDC yet, waiting to finalize the characterization changes. Its possible that when using the higher voltages, the torque will be slightly less at the lower RPM but should extend farther out into the higher RPM before falling of. For such a light motor at only 85lbs, the results are remarkable. Much better that the AC-50 I sold for many years as a dealer before HPEVS got mad due to their loss of sales, which must be huge. Noise level is the biggest improvement.