AC motor/controller upgrade adds regen + gives a little more oomph?

AC motor/controller upgrade adds regen + gives a little more oomph?

brucedp5

{History
For a short while I owned a Ford Escort station wagon professionally converted by Green Motor Works in L.A., CA (likely now defunct)
http://brucedp.150m.com/escort/

I nabbed it to keep in the SF bay area. After paying to have it improved, I flipped it and put it on sale at cost. Since EV conversion sales in the 1990's were a slow process, I had time to play with it and find its capabilities.

This older design was quite good for its day, and at a time when Pres. Carter's gas saving 55mph highway speed limit was still in people's mind (so a high top speed was not that big a deal).

The conversion had a 108V PbSO4 T125 pack (slightly better than a 96V VW Rabbit kit performance, but not by much), a Cursit 1221x controller, a Prestolite motor with cooling fan, and a K&W BC-20 charger.

OK, enough of the background history ...
]

Not promoting one EV supplier over another, but I noticed EVparts has a deal on a 108V AC motor and controller
http://www.evparts.com/products/street-vehicle/motors--dot/48-to-96-volt-street-vehicle-motors/mt5615.htm

 ... here are my questions/thoughts:

-Is that offer a fair price or are there better deals/offers (with below in mind)?

-Given that the pack voltage and chemistry has not changed:

If I still had that Escort, would replacing the DC motor and controller with the above, give about the same hp performance, but with the added regen gain in range (likely about 5 more miles out of a 42 mile T125 pack @55mph)?

The AC controller would be 100 amps more than the 400A cursit, so it might a little more oomph up a hill (?).

I request feedback on this idea by fellow list'rs. If sound, perhaps buyers of older conversion designs might benefit with an upgrade? Pour some $$$$ into it now, and enjoy/drive the benefits, with an increased resale value.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oomph

{brucedp.150m.com}

Re: AC motor/controller upgrade adds regen + gives a little more oomph?

Cruisin
This post was updated on .
If you check EV Tradin Post and some other forums, including a previous post on this forum by me, you will find the exact system available from ebevconversion@gmail.com for $4300.00 f.o.b. California. Programming to the customers needs and special requests is included at no additional cost. A couple of options is a 24v contactor approved by Curtis and and the Brake Regeneration modification to the wire harness. Also, the buyer gets full conversion support from a EV Conversion bay earea instructor at no additional cost. Boy, cant beat that with a stick. CALB batteries, Mini BMS and SOC meter is also available at low pricing. To answer your question on regen, 10% would probably be the most you could expect. However, your driving skills and terrain will most certainly change that number. Need more info email cruisin@live.com

Re: AC motor/controller upgrade adds regen + gives a little more oomph?

Willie2
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 03:25:53PM -0700, Cruisin wrote:

> If you check EV Tradin Post and some other forums, including a previous post
> on this forum by me, you will find the exact system available from
> [hidden email] for $4300.00 f.o.b. California. Programming to the
> customers needs and special requests is included at no additional cost. A
> couple of options is a 24v contactor approved by Curtis and and the Brake
> Regeneration modification to the wire harness. Also, the buyer gets full
> conversion support from a EV Conversion bay earea instructor at no
> additional cost. Boy, cant beat that with a stick. CALB batteries, Mini BMS
> and SOC meter is also available at low pricing. Need mor info email
> [hidden email]

Posting your offerings on a website is likely to lead to increased
sales.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995