Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or Discussion Forum threads I should check out.   I currently require a 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution if I feel it would work better.

thanks
Damon

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Check out the EVCC and associated chargers from Thunderstruck motors.
When I upgraded from PbA to Lithium, I also upgraded my charger and
charge controller to make use of a J1772 inlet I'd salvaged from the
Leaf I got the batteries from.

I bought the dual TSM2500 & EVCC solution from Thunderstruck motors and
have been happy with it.  I went with the dual (parallel) TSM2500 so
that I could get 4 kW of charging capacity inexpensively, but the extra
wiring and space it takes up is the downside. If I had to do it again, I
would pay more for a single larger charger like the PFC-5000 if only to
simplify the wiring.

If you are only using 120v @ 20 amps now, you might want to consider
this smaller (single TSM2500) kit which includes just about everything
you'd need for $1,175 (add the "optional" car kit to get the j1772 inlet
and stuff, only $750 without it):
http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/tsm2500-and-charge-controller.html

Jay

On 04/17/2018 12:39 PM, Damon Henry via EV wrote:

> I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or Discussion Forum threads I should check out.   I currently require a 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution if I feel it would work better.
>
> thanks
> Damon

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Note that you may be able to buy just a charging inlet and the EVCC and
use it to control/power your current chargers....but most public J1772
chargers provide 240 volts, so your current chargers would need to be
able to support 240 or 120...

And the fact that the TSM2500 charger and EVCC talk to each other over a
simple local CAN bus connection makes things nice and easy, without
having to wire up a lot of relays, etc...  Plus the TSM2500 is dual
voltage, so you can still power it from a regular 120 volt RV inlet if
you want. (and I like the fact that the EVCC supports up to 4 diffeent
"mode" settings, so I can select between slow charging to 80%, fast
charging all the way to 100%, higher voltages at low amperage for top
balancing, etc...and a 12 amp mode for opportunity 120v charging.

Jay

On 04/17/2018 12:49 PM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> Check out the EVCC and associated chargers from Thunderstruck motors.
> When I upgraded from PbA to Lithium, I also upgraded my charger and
> charge controller to make use of a J1772 inlet I'd salvaged from the
> Leaf I got the batteries from.
>
> I bought the dual TSM2500 & EVCC solution from Thunderstruck motors and
> have been happy with it.  I went with the dual (parallel) TSM2500 so
> that I could get 4 kW of charging capacity inexpensively, but the extra
> wiring and space it takes up is the downside. If I had to do it again, I
> would pay more for a single larger charger like the PFC-5000 if only to
> simplify the wiring.
>
> If you are only using 120v @ 20 amps now, you might want to consider
> this smaller (single TSM2500) kit which includes just about everything
> you'd need for $1,175 (add the "optional" car kit to get the j1772 inlet
> and stuff, only $750 without it):
> http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/tsm2500-and-charge-controller.html
>

> Jay
>
> On 04/17/2018 12:39 PM, Damon Henry via EV wrote:
>> I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public
>> charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or
>> Discussion Forum threads I should check out.   I currently require a
>> 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I
>> may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution
>> if I feel it would work better.
>>
>> thanks
>> Damon

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Hi Jay,
I have a 1994 US Electricar S10 factory conversion that is expecting a standard 120 - 240 AC input at 13 Amps
and all I had to do to add public charging was to add a J1772 inlet plus a diode and resistor on the pilot input.
The current draw ia always less than public charging is offering and the only issue left is that I did not yet
install the inlet, it is just a cord converting J1772 inlet to a standard plug for my regular charging cord.
People are laughing when I pull up to a meeting with public charging and I run the cord from the charger
into my driver window, plug into the inlet with a cord dangling from it, where I plug in my regular charging cord
that runs out the window again and disappears behind the gas cap.
Realily is that I have used this contraption maybe 3 times till now as I always plug into a wall outlet
at all regular days and nights.

BTW, most public charging is delivering 208V as that is the phase-to-phase voltage of a 3-phase system
that has 120V phase to neutral. You find 240V typically only in the residential environment where you  receive
2-phase 120+120.
Recently I have been charging off a standard commercial building's 480V 3-phase system where a single
phase is 277V (often used for overhead lighting) and a little step-down auto-transformer fabricated from a
dry type transformer with 240V primary and 32V (2x16V) secondary, both primary and secondary windings
in series for the 277V input and tapping my 240V output off the primary, gives me a healthy 240V in an
environment where otherwise only 120V is available...
Cor.

Note that you may be able to buy just a charging inlet and the EVCC and use it to control/power your current chargers....but most public J1772 chargers provide 240 volts, so your current chargers would need to be able to support 240 or 120...

And the fact that the TSM2500 charger and EVCC talk to each other over a simple local CAN bus connection makes things nice and easy, without having to wire up a lot of relays, etc...  Plus the TSM2500 is dual voltage, so you can still power it from a regular 120 volt RV inlet if you want. (and I like the fact that the EVCC supports up to 4 diffeent "mode" settings, so I can select between slow charging to 80%, fast charging all the way to 100%, higher voltages at low amperage for top balancing, etc...and a 12 amp mode for opportunity 120v charging.

Jay

On 04/17/2018 12:49 PM, Jay Summet via EV wrote:

> Check out the EVCC and associated chargers from Thunderstruck motors.
> When I upgraded from PbA to Lithium, I also upgraded my charger and
> charge controller to make use of a J1772 inlet I'd salvaged from the
> Leaf I got the batteries from.
>
> I bought the dual TSM2500 & EVCC solution from Thunderstruck motors
> and have been happy with it.  I went with the dual (parallel) TSM2500
> so that I could get 4 kW of charging capacity inexpensively, but the
> extra wiring and space it takes up is the downside. If I had to do it
> again, I would pay more for a single larger charger like the PFC-5000
> if only to simplify the wiring.
>
> If you are only using 120v @ 20 amps now, you might want to consider
> this smaller (single TSM2500) kit which includes just about everything
> you'd need for $1,175 (add the "optional" car kit to get the j1772
> inlet and stuff, only $750 without it):
> http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/tsm2500-and-charge-controller.html
>

> Jay
>
> On 04/17/2018 12:39 PM, Damon Henry via EV wrote:
>> I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public
>> charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or
>> Discussion Forum threads I should check out.   I currently require a
>> 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I
>> may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution
>> if I feel it would work better.
>>
>> thanks
>> Damon
>> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was
>> scrubbed...

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Sorry, Damon was the original poster.
Cor.

On 04/17/2018 01:21 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> Hi Jay,
> I have a 1994 US Electricar S10 factory conversion that is expecting a standard 120 - 240 AC input at 13 Amps
> and all I had to do to add public charging was to add a J1772 inlet plus a diode and resistor on the pilot input.
> The current draw ia always less than public charging is offering
Yes, if the existing chargers support the full 120-240 range and you
only need a relatively low number of amps you can rig up a circuit to
"engage" a J1772 EVSE and save a good amount of money (although the
inlets are not cheap....).

I wanted the ability to charge quickly if the extra power was avaliable,
and like the fact that the EVCC can detect the max amp draw from the
pilot signal and dial in the chargers to match. (There was one time
where a public EVSE only gave me 3.3 kW instead of the full 4 my
chargers could support, as it was a 2 output "shared" charger.)

Jay

On Tue Apr 17 09:39:59 PDT 2018 [hidden email] said:
>I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or Discussion Forum threads I should check out.   I currently require a 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution if I feel it would work better.

I just use one of the Manzanita Micro chargers with the J1772 inlet option.

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

I would start by asking Manzanita Micro.... they make quite a few different chargers you didn't say which one you have.

On Tue Apr 17 09:39:59 PDT 2018 [hidden email] said:
>I'm investigating making my Datsun Truck compatible with public charging stations.  Does anyone know of specific websites  or Discussion Forum threads I should check out.  I currently require a 120 volt 20 amp circuit to power my modular charging solution, but I may also look into adding a more traditional series charging solution if I feel it would work better.

I just use one of the Manzanita Micro chargers with the J1772 inlet option.

--

Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Hi Damon,

All the Level II EVSE's are 220-208vac only, no 120vac at all. The J1772 Spec
does not allow for a neutral. The level II J1772 Plug has hot, hot and ground
only, no neutral. If you try to use the ground as a neutral the EVSE will fault.
That being said Chargepoint does have an EVSE with a 120vac 5-15 plug in it, but
you still have to access the network to open access door and there are actually
very few of them around.

So unless you have a 240vac capable charger for your truck, you won't be able to
use the Public EVSE's (unless you have a 240 to 120 transformer).

I do have a J1772 Adapter Box on my website that will communicate with the J1772
EVSE's to enable charging from them.

Rush Dougherty
Tucson AZ 85719
www.TucsonEV.com

All the so-called convenience chargers were 120V only with J1772 plug (until recently, I have seen at least one OEM dual voltage one)
so that is why the J1772 standard has both 120V and 208/240V levels. And indeed, the EVSE receives phase, neutral and ground in those cases.
So yeah, the charger needs to accommodate all of this.
I used to have a truck with a "Bycan" resonant transformer.
It could be switched from 120V to 240Vinput.
Obviously on a public charging station it needs to be  set to 240V
problem was it only received 208V and despite being a resonant transformer,
the charging rate at that speed was less than when charging from 120V.
All modern chargers that I know of are multi voltage and have no problem
with the J1772 input of 120V or 240V AC, the only issue is that they are
designed for a certain max current, so automatically at 120V they can only operate
at half the power as when they receive 240V.

All the Level II EVSE's are 220-208vac only, no 120vac at all. The J1772 Spec does not allow for a neutral. The level II J1772 Plug has hot, hot and ground only, no neutral. If you try to use the ground as a neutral the EVSE will fault.
That being said Chargepoint does have an EVSE with a 120vac 5-15 plug in it, but you still have to access the network to open access door and there are actually very few of them around.

So unless you have a 240vac capable charger for your truck, you won't be able to use the Public EVSE's (unless you have a 240 to 120 transformer).

I do have a J1772 Adapter Box on my website that will communicate with the J1772 EVSE's to enable charging from them.

Rush Dougherty
Tucson AZ 85719
www.TucsonEV.com

would work better.

> thanks
> Damon
> scrubbed...
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Cor's statement . "And indeed, the EVSE receives phase, neutral and ground in
those cases" needs a little clarification. He is saying that the standard allows
for phase, neutral and ground and while that is true when we are dealing with
Level II, 208-240vac, there is no neutral supplied with the J1772 Plug. There
cannot be since the plug only has 2 power pins and one ground pin.

As I said in the majority of the public EVSE's, if the ground is used as a
neutral leg to get 120vac, the EVSE, according to the spec will ground fault.
The only exception that I am aware of is a Chargepoint EVSE that has an actual
5-15 receptacle in it for 120vac.

Rush Dougherty
Tucson AZ 85719

EV
> Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:49 PM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Cc: Cor van de Water
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion
>
> All the so-called convenience chargers were 120V only with J1772 plug (until
recently, I have
> seen at least one OEM dual voltage one) so that is why the J1772 standard has
both 120V
> and 208/240V levels. And indeed, the EVSE receives phase, neutral and ground
in those
> cases.
> So yeah, the charger needs to accommodate all of this.
> I used to have a truck with a "Bycan" resonant transformer.
> It could be switched from 120V to 240Vinput.
> Obviously on a public charging station it needs to be  set to 240V problem was
it only
> received 208V and despite being a resonant transformer, the charging rate at
that speed
> was less than when charging from 120V.
> All modern chargers that I know of are multi voltage and have no problem with
the J1772 input
> of 120V or 240V AC, the only issue is that they are designed for a certain max
current, so
> automatically at 120V they can only operate at half the power as when they
receive 240V.

Damon didn't give all the watts, where charging, whys, whens I would need to
fully make a decision. So, I hope Damon will correct my assumptions,
guesses, etc.

I'll assume his EValbum page is current
http://www.evalbum.com/1524
System Voltage 96 Volts (series-parallel li-ion strings)
'(2x) Chinese Lithium bike battery chargers
 ... 4 - 6 amp CCCV (48VDC) chargers ... from ... greentime'

If I remember the past correctly, Damon has made frugal choice$, so I offer
high, medium,and lower cost ideas.

Anyone else also considering a j1772 charging upgrade can kill time poking
around the internet searching for j1772 parts, etc.
https://www.google.com/search?q=j1772 parts

IMO, before you do anything you should look at what public charging you have
https://www.plugshare.com/
 I used the filter in the menu to only show j1772 EVSE.
Damon has beau-coup/many j1772 to plug in to. But most of them are Blink
network which at the most, their visitor rate is $0.50/kWh or $3 for a 1hour
6kW charge. There a few sites that are not blink or free.

I also set the filter to only show Tesla Destination hpwc EVSE. there are
only a few. Why? to see if using a Tesla to j1772 adapter would let him
mooch a free charge (Tesla practically gives the hpwc EVSE away, charging is
usually un-metered/no-network= free).

(By comparison to Damon 's WA area, in my 76548 zip TX area, it is a public
EVSE wilderness. There are a few j1772 EVSE around, but there are several
hpwc I would want to be able to use. Anyone wanting to do this see
https://electrek.co/2017/06/20/tesla-j1772-adapter-electric-cars-destination-chargers/

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm;jsessionid=F07E7DF3ACCD8060812B3E6AE319E039.p3plqscsfapp005
)

OK, now on to chargers: I am a BIG-fanboy of Manzanitamicro's pfc chargers.
But they are not-cheap= the expensive solution
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=110&category_id=14

Te advantage is you can dial in any charge rate you want, and use the charge
off nearly any power source (huge flexibility).
I've used pfc-20, 30, 40, & 50 chargers. I like their flexibility  so much,
today I would rather save up my s.security checks until I could buy one,
rather than going cheap, see
http://brucedp.tripod.com/blazer/

The next step down in cost (medium price= less flexibility)
http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/7344653/7638130.htm

This is an isolated charger. And push come to shove, at a RV park that only
offered 120VAC 30Amp outlet it could push 22A at 96VDC.

The following is only one source over many other EV parts biz, I am not
promoting just this biz over any other, use it just as an example of what
you nwill find if you do a search on
 electric conversion charger
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=12

The lowest cost solution is to assume his e-bicycle chargers.cn can operate
from 100-240VAC, like
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=282901348462&category=48618&pm=1&ds=0&t=1515983013000&ver=0

 or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Aluminum-Housing-48V-5A-6A-Li-ion-Battery-Charger/422560048.html

 then he would only need the j1772 parts, but he would be missing out on
pushing the 6kW public EVSE offer.

Which leads me to the last question. Why now does he want that j1772
charging ability when charging at hone has been enough up until now?

Is it that he wants to push his range envelope to say make trips south to
Portland, OR or go north?

Those desires need to be included when making a upgrade decision.
If it were me, my EV charging needs would be to to be able to charge
anywhere, and everywhere. But that is me (had a Blazer with a back seat full
of charger cable adapters, will-travel)
 :-zzz

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Thanks Bruce, and all those who have contributed.  I'll answer a few of Bruce's questions.  The reason that I am considering this is multiple.  First, since I bought my wife her Prius Prime I have come to love the simplicity of Plugging in her car.  I would like to emulate that and since I am probably adding some circuits and charging infrastructure in my garage for her, I wouldn't mind being able to set my truck up to be as simple as her car, and share the same charging infrastructure.  Secondly, my employer is moving to a new location which will be on the edge of my current range.  Finally, as Bruce has noted, I have plenty of charging options in my area, so being able to tap into that would allow my to go more places :)  Of course, I could also just add more batteries...  So I am investigating.  I'm also considering doing the same for my motorcycle.

Also, I'm not quite as cost conscious as I have been in the past.  Getting a few birds out of the nest has helped in that area :)

Bruce remembered my chargers correctly, and yes they are dual voltage input although as Bruce has noted I'm only charging at about 1KW so I would not be fully using what I am paying for at most charging stations.

I am looking at all options.  I have close ties to Manzanita Micro as well, but as you noted their equipment is expensive, plus  their chargers are pretty bulky.

I really liked the look of the solution Jay pointed me to from Thuderstruck, or I may just add the J1772 inlet and stick with my current chargers.  This is almost certainly what I will do for my motorcycle.

Then again, I may do nothing at all.  My wife's Prius Prime has me thinking about an OEM EV in the next couple of years...   Since I live in the Portland Metro area, I can get out and see most of them at local dealerships, but there are still some that are only available in California.  I'm heading for Disneyland next month with my wife and daughter, and I think I'll spend one full day test driving EVs and PIHs while I am down there so I can try them all.

Damon
________________________________

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evalbum.com%2F1524&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=gAq%2FmZDtu9MIwYmMb8YnK2Ye55p1SpSaHWAWc7LQAlY%3D&reserved=0
System Voltage  96 Volts (series-parallel li-ion strings)
'(2x) Chinese Lithium bike battery chargers
 ... 4 - 6 amp CCCV (48VDC) chargers ... from ... greentime'

If I remember the past correctly, Damon has made frugal choice$, so I offer
high, medium,and lower cost ideas.

Anyone else also considering a j1772 charging upgrade can kill time poking
around the internet searching for j1772 parts, etc.
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dj1772&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=ScQCQgVZJS94zcLa8vjwd2679gOk76Ga859UjDJMjzY%3D&reserved=0 parts

IMO, before you do anything you should look at what public charging you have
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plugshare.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=K%2BJJZQReR5cZDveCnNeYpern7tDhiEQlxjtOLuyn72c%3D&reserved=0

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Felectrek.co%2F2017%2F06%2F20%2Ftesla-j1772-adapter-electric-cars-destination-chargers%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=X9yN7IDZr6gOehc%2BzzuOkP%2FWeBYYMFEUTPBKPi5byv4%3D&reserved=0

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fshop.quickchargepower.com%2FJDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm%3Bjsessionid%3DF07E7DF3ACCD8060812B3E6AE319E039.p3plqscsfapp005&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=%2FcofA%2FtIyyc%2FuI5twER7L7R06gy4SuSrtTPW438z5iA%3D&reserved=0
)

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.manzanitamicro.com%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3Dshop.product_details%26flypage%3Dflypage.tpl%26product_id%3D110%26category_id%3D14&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=BOR0yt88sk80OzckHKVc1JOjufq7ZbbfBlKsa4oBKK4%3D&reserved=0

Te advantage is you can dial in any charge rate you want, and use the charge
off nearly any power source (huge flexibility).
I've used pfc-20, 30, 40, & 50 chargers. I like their flexibility  so much,
today I would rather save up my s.security checks until I could buy one,
rather than going cheap, see
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbrucedp.tripod.com%2Fblazer%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=A8b3sVHYlJL5iVfFcufeQquCtDIKz4%2BzMyPRg0ee60c%3D&reserved=0

The next step down in cost (medium price= less flexibility)
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elconchargers.com%2Fcatalog%2Fitem%2F7344653%2F7638130.htm&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=GiLaAHpBdvGsc7iropWT8Z98XBC8FohfWTtBWGjaDzg%3D&reserved=0

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evwest.com%2Fcatalog%2Findex.php%3FcPath%3D12&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=BhauE7MoyUR9fRBrLAcSRVjuboyEKWzZENyFqHW8uiA%3D&reserved=0

The lowest cost solution is to assume his e-bicycle chargers.cn can operate
from 100-240VAC, like
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fvi.raptor.ebaydesc.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItemDescV4%26item%3D282901348462%26category%3D48618%26pm%3D1%26ds%3D0%26t%3D1515983013000%26ver%3D0&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=ut%2B%2B2QTxAAQDqSB%2B1jaflKMM8bWrI%2FGAiGq6Jxzs%2Bvs%3D&reserved=0

 or
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fitem%2FHigh-Quality-Aluminum-Housing-48V-5A-6A-Li-ion-Battery-Charger%2F422560048.html&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=VL5%2BhcUjxl6pyKKbYTyvLL3ILYln923ivvkCJE%2FZruw%3D&reserved=0

 then he would only need the j1772 parts, but he would be missing out on
pushing the 6kW public EVSE offer.

Which leads me to the last question. Why now does he want that j1772
charging ability when charging at hone has been enough up until now?

Is it that he wants to push his range envelope to say make trips south to
Portland, OR or go north?

Those desires need to be included when making a upgrade decision.
If it were me, my EV charging needs would be to to be able to charge
anywhere, and everywhere. But that is me (had a Blazer with a back seat full
of charger cable adapters, will-travel)
 :-zzz

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fevdl.org%2Farchive%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=tW6fM4UM3%2BiG4wx%2FbGm36wPtCPJfcGF11V2i7HkZuVk%3D&reserved=0

Sent from: https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Felectric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=ZsN9%2BXDIJKA2RACEk%2FrZX42wiJVfo6LdHD9tsQzhRXM%3D&reserved=0
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.yahoo.com%2Fgroup%2FNEDRA&data=02%7C01%7C%7Caeddb20362ae4187281308d5a4dcf757%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596191301444932&sdata=qphRg8vJCpWDDJiu8XL8kdw8RH0nLwA2QkYf1A1pkxA%3D&reserved=0)

On 04/18/2018 12:03 PM, Damon Henry via EV wrote:

> Then again, I may do nothing at all.  My wife's Prius Prime has me thinking about an OEM EV in the next couple of years...   Since I live in the Portland Metro area, I can get out and see most of them at local dealerships, but there are still some that are only available in California.  I'm heading for Disneyland next month with my wife and daughter, and I think I'll spend one full day test driving EVs and PIHs while I am down there so I can try them all.

My wife has a 2015 Leaf, and I'm seriously considering getting a Leaf +
light trailer once the current battery pack on my truck degrades. Used
Leaf's in good condition can be found quite inexpensively.

Jay

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

Yeah, I have not seen the new 2018 Leaf in person yet.  I have a bunch of used Leafs available in this area, including one dealer that does almost exclusively used Leafs http://www.plattautoor.com/vehicles.  Unfortunately for me, I think they are super ugly.  I don't feel the same about the newer models... at least not from the pictures I've seen.

Damon
________________________________

UNSUBSCRIBE: https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.evdl.org%2Fhelp%2Findex.html%23usub&data=02%7C01%7C%7C12daad239a1640ccb26208d5a546be5a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596645611373282&sdata=bo953SHq%2BO9xx38rNsnGLHD5RmXo61k9i35Ed%2Fegd7g%3D&reserved=0
Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgroups.yahoo.com%2Fgroup%2FNEDRA&data=02%7C01%7C%7C12daad239a1640ccb26208d5a546be5a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636596645611373282&sdata=41pDFqXjL6CL8%2BHczrup9KBn2NhLTOjYlnE8u6MJ%2BOQ%3D&reserved=0)

On 17 Apr 2018 at 14:45, Rush Dougherty via EV wrote:

> if the ground is used as a neutral leg to get 120vac, the EVSE,
> according to the spec will ground fault.

You'd expect it to do this.  Its GFI circuit just sees current that isn't
balanced across the mains.  It can't tell the difference between current
going through your body to ground, and current going through a 120v charger
to ground.  So it's gong to say "nope" just to be safe.

Also, using the ground connection as a neutral return in wiring is an NEC
violation for a reason.  If there should be a fault in the building's ground
connection, using the ground that way puts line voltage on the enclosure of
every other grounded appliance!  The same thing can happen if it's done in
connected equipment.

Re: Adding J1772 Plug to a conversion

David wrote -

> You'd expect it to do this.

Actually David, there are a surprising number of people who don't expect this.
You'd be surprised at the number of people who write me and ask if they can
connect their 120vac charger into my J1772 Adapter Box when it is connected to a
public EVSE using the ground as a neutral. So the majority of people don't have
your knowledge of how the NEC code etc works...

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com