Adding J1772 capabilities to conversion

John O'Connor
I am considering swapping my charge inlet over to J1772 and have a few questions.

My current set up is a MM PFC-30 charger with a L6-30 inlet. (144 volt flooded lead acid pack).

I have a number of adapters that allow me to charge from regular 120 or 240 NEMA recepticals.

I understand the athe commercial EVSE stations are now j1772 and the require a pilot signal.

The TusanEV ( http://www.tucsonev.com/index.html ) setup looks like a reasonable solution to charge from proper J1772 EVSE but my concern is with using a NEMA receptacle.  I am comfortable making adapters to get AC power to the J1172 plug but what happens with the pilot circuitry when the AC source is a regulate NEMA reciptical?

John in Boston

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to conversion

Rush Dougherty
Nothing... it passes thru with no problem.

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com

Cruisin
Glad to see you are making the move to J1772 as this is now the standard for EV connection, even at home. Wire the J1772 direct to the charger 220v, then in parallel add a 110vac connector under the hood for a connection to 110vac under 15amp. If you are not adding a J1772 to your home and want to continue using a 220vac 6-30, just add that to the connection to the J1772 at the charger. The pilot signal is not used except when using the J1772 at a public or home charger.

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Glad to see you are making the move to J1772 as this is now the standard for
> EV connection, even at home.

Still just considering and while it may be standard I suspect the majority of on the road EVs in the USA do not use J1772, but I could be wrong.

> Wire the J1772 direct to the charger 220v, then
> in parallel add a 110vac connector under the hood for a connection to 110vac
> under 15amp.

I could have done this with my existing set-up and chose not to.
> If you are not adding a J1772 to your home and want to continue
> using a 220vac 6-30,

How would I be using J1772 at home without using 120/240 NEMA something or other and what is the advantage?

> just add that to the connection to the J1772 at the
> charger. The pilot signal is not used except when using the J1772 at a
> public or home charger.

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to conversion

Roger Stockton
JOHN OCONNOR wrote:

> Still just considering and while it may be standard I suspect the majority
> of on the road EVs in the USA do not use J1772, but I could be wrong.

You are.  The number of OEM on-road EVs (Leaf, iMiev, etc.) and PHEVs (Volt) may still be small, but they surely already outnumber the hobbyist on-road highway-capable EVs.  If you consider on-road LSV/MSV NEVs as well, then the OEM highway-capable EVs may not yet have the majority.

> How would I be using J1772 at home without using 120/240 NEMA something or
> other and what is the advantage?

J1772 refers to the connection system between the off-board AC power source (EVSE) and the onboard charger.  It includes both the connector system and the signals, and you cannot be using J1772 while using *any* NEMA connector instead of the J1772 plug and receptacle.

A NEMA connector set might be used between the J1772 EVSE and the utility service, but the connection to the vehicle (and onboard charger) would be the J1772 connector set.

You could do like the OEM EV opportunity/convenience charge cords and simply use an extension cord with a NEMA plug on one end to plug into an outlet in the garage, and a J1772 paddle on the other to plug into the vehicle-mounted J1772 inlet.  Use adapters on the NEMA end of the cord to allow plugging into 240VAC or 120VAC.

The offboard J1772 EVSE is responsible for providing the requisite pilot signal.  A true J1772 implementation on the vehicle side would monitor for the pilot signal and would require that it fall within strict limits before allowing charging, however, your charger (like most used by hobbyists) is incapable of this, and so your vehicle-side J1772 implementation would consist simply of a circuit to load the pilot signal such that when you plug a J1772 charging station paddle into your vehicle it will turn on the AC supply to your charger.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to conversion

Just adding inlets in parallel has the risk that you
expose the grid power on the unused inlet's pins.

My suggestion would be to either isolate the different
inlets using a simple relay that pulls in with the
particular inlet being powered and disables the other
inlets.

There are converters to J1772 (essentially a
stripped-down charging station with two cords,
one having J1772 to plug into the car, the other
to plug the charging station into the wall.
The functions provided by such a converter are
essentially just generating the pilot to tell the
EV that it can charge and how much current and to
monitor the grid wires for GFCI.

I know Rush is working on such a portable charging
station, he has announced it about a year back and
I have offered him some help, but I also see converters
available from Modular EV power and there probably are
others.
On the vehicle side there is a simple circuit that you
can buy for $35 or so that receives the pilot, but if
you are comfortable with electronics you can also hack
a circuit together. Having a J1772 inlet on your car
allows you to charge at any new public charge station,
although a lot of them still support NEMA 5-20 which
allows you to pull up to 16A at 120V. That outlet does
not have a pilot obviously, so some charge stations
detect the presence of a 120V plug in an optical manner
which has confused some EV'ers that used a cord with a
transparent plug and they had to tape around that plug
in order to get the charging station to detect the
presence of the plug.

Sometimes we make things "too smart".

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Cruisin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Glad to see you are making the move to J1772 as this is now the
> standard for EV connection, even at home.

Still just considering and while it may be standard I suspect the
majority of on the road EVs in the USA do not use J1772, but I could be
wrong.

> Wire the J1772 direct to the charger 220v, then in parallel add a
> 110vac connector under the hood for a connection to 110vac under
> 15amp.

I could have done this with my existing set-up and chose not to.
> If you are not adding a J1772 to your home and want to continue using
> a 220vac 6-30,

How would I be using J1772 at home without using 120/240 NEMA something
or other and what is the advantage?

> just add that to the connection to the J1772 at the charger. The pilot

> signal is not used except when using the J1772 at a public or home
> charger.

Nabble.com.

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

brucedp5
Cor,

is this the portable charging station you were referring to?
http://tucsonev.com/TucsonEV-SE.html

Getting back to the original poster's inquiry ...

As posted, contacting TucsonEV could likely put together the bits and
pieces to wire something up. And after reviewing the modularevpower.com
site, it looks like they can too.

*What other EV component sources are there that would be able to provide
the needed parts?

Interestingly, a web search gave this site
http://blog.evtv.me/store/proddetail.php?prod=AVC2
showing the ModularEV wiring diagram
http://blog.evtv.me/store/prodimages/diagram.jpg

And here is a long-winded evtv video
http://evtv.projectooc.com/index.php?showid=132
After 2.5 min I gave up on it (it was too much me-n-chuckles, and not
enough EV to keep my interest).

Perhaps this was mentioned and it flew by me, but here is a scenario I
am concerned about.

What is there to tell the host EVSE what the conversion's on-board
charger is going to draw too much power/current for that EVSE to handle,
& keep/stop that EVSE from allowing current to flow?

Example: I buy a nice clean truck conversion (for my big-bod'). I
install an off the shelf on-board level-2 5kW charger. I wire it up to
the female J1772 inlet coupler mounted in front. When I use public EVSE
(i.e. a Coulomb CT2101) it is perfectly happy to provide me the 5kW I
draw because it can supply up to 6kW.

But say I use plugshare to find/hook-up-with a charge when out in the
remote EVSE-less wilderness. The plug-in friendly host has a J1772
level-2 3kW EVSE for their Leaf EV or Volt pih. When I connect to it, it
draws too much current and fries this nice-guy's home-EVSE. That is not
a position I would want to be in.

How is this resolved?
I think Roger posted about the pilot signal doing something with this in
mind.
Is ModularEV AC2 module what can provide the proper pilot signal so as
to tell the host EVSE what the on-board chargers power needs are?

AC2: Hey Coulomb! I want 5kW
Coulomb: no problem, here is your power

AC2: Hey cheap home EVSE! I want 5kW
cheap 3kW home EVSE: No way, uh-uh, don't be pluggin' that thang' in
here!

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again

Bruce EVangel Parmenter wrote:

> How is this resolved?
> I think Roger posted about the pilot signal doing something with this in
> mind.
> Is ModularEV AC2 module what can provide the proper pilot signal so as
> to tell the host EVSE what the on-board chargers power needs are?
>
> AC2: Hey Coulomb! I want 5kW
> Coulomb: no problem, here is your power
>
> AC2: Hey cheap home EVSE! I want 5kW
> cheap 3kW home EVSE: No way, uh-uh, don't be pluggin' that thang' in
> here!

You have the right idea, but it is the EVSE that is in the driver's seat rather than the charger.

So, the scenario is that when the EVSE is connected to the vehicle, the vehicle sees a pilot signal letting it know an EVSE is connected.  The vehicle loads the pilot signal such that the EVSE can tell that a vehicle is connected.

The pilot signal duty cycle tells the vehicle how much AC current is available; it is not permitted to draw more than this, and there is no provision for the vehicle/charger to "request" any particular amount of AC current from the EVSE.

I have not yet seen any J1772 pilot signal circuit for conversions that does anything more than loading the pilot signal to communicate the vehicle presence, and additionally loading the pilot to request the EVSE to turn on the AC power to the vehicle.

It is, however, conceivable that a J1772 pilot signal interface circuit could include a provision for the user to set a minimum AC current level below which it will not apply the additional pilot signal load to request the EVSE to turn on AC power.  So, if I had a 5kW charger that I could not turn down to allow use on lower AC current supplies, I would set my J1772 interface circuit to not turn on AC unless the duty cycle of the EVSE pilot signal indicates that at least 24A is available (24A x 208VAC = 5kW).  This would prevent me from charging at all from a 3kW EVSE, but it would effectively avoid the issue of opening a circuit breaker or otherwise disabling the EVSE.

For people with adjustable chargers such as the Manzanita Micro PFC series, what might be useful is if the J1772 interface circuit decoded the pilot signal duty cycle and displayed the available AC current to the user so that they could manually adjust the charger to comply before enabling AC.  Possibly even better would be if the charger current limit setting could be used to generate a signal that would be compared to the pilot signal so that the DC output of the charger would be inhibited/disabled (via the regbus interface?) anytime the charger current setting is higher than the presently available AC current.  It gets a bit complicated since the PFC current adjustment does not directly limit AC input current, but the general concept is sound even if a truly accurate implementation would need to also take AC input voltage and output voltage limit into account when determining if the present current limit setting would result in lower AC current than the available maximum !
 supply limit.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

John Lussmyer
On Thu Aug 09 15:34:15 PDT 2012 [hidden email] said:
>I have not yet seen any J1772 pilot signal circuit for conversions that does anything more than loading the pilot signal to communicate the vehicle presence, and additionally loading the pilot to request the EVSE to turn on the AC power to the vehicle.

Rich currently has one of these being tested for PFC chargers.

--

Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

corbin dunn

On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:46 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu Aug 09 15:34:15 PDT 2012 [hidden email] said:
>> I have not yet seen any J1772 pilot signal circuit for conversions that does anything more than loading the pilot signal to communicate the vehicle presence, and additionally loading the pilot to request the EVSE to turn on the AC power to the vehicle.
>
> Rich currently has one of these being tested for PFC chargers.

I've also written software using Arduino to do all the magic. I'm almost done with it all, and will post about it when I'm finished. It allows the car to control when the EVSE turns on, and implements timer logic for off-hours charging. All done with an Arduino and LCD display.

corbin

> --
>
> Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

Was J1772, now small paddle inductive to J1772?

Bob Bath
Does anything exist to interface J1772 to a vehicle with small paddle inductive charging?
Appreciatively,

Sent from my iPod

On Aug 9, 2012, at 6:46 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu Aug 09 15:34:15 PDT 2012 [hidden email] said:
>> I have not yet seen any J1772 pilot signal circuit for conversions that does anything more than loading the pilot signal to communicate the vehicle presence, and additionally loading the pilot to request the EVSE to turn on the AC power to the vehicle.
>
> Rich currently has one of these being tested for PFC chargers.
>

> --
>
> Bobcats and Cougars, oh my!  http://john.casadelgato.com/Pets

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to conversion

Rush Dougherty
> You could do like the OEM EV opportunity/convenience charge cords and
> simply use an extension cord with a NEMA plug on one end to plug into an
> outlet in the garage, and a J1772 paddle on the other to plug into the
> vehicle-mounted J1772 inlet.  Use adapters on the NEMA end of the cord to
> allow plugging into 240VAC or 120VAC.

Some conversion owners have bought either a J1772 Plug alone, or with cord
and hooked it up directly to their garage 240vac so that they do not have to
have an Adapter cord for home use when using the J1772 Adapter Box that I
sell.
See the J1772 to NEMA plugs that Darren made -
http://tucsonev.com/darren.html

Rush Dougherty
www.TucsonEV.com

Sent 8/9/2012, 5:40 pm AZ time

Corbin, the circuit you are designing would be acceptable for home use but could NOT be used on a public charger. New laws now limit the use of the charger for 4 hours in some areas. We should all design our systems similar to production cars using the J1772 for 220vac and a 110vac plug for public charging using less than 15amp. Chargers should also be at least 6kw for fast charging. I would NOT want to be stuck at a public charger with a 2k-2,5k charger unless you have a lot of time for shopping and am not in a 4 hour limit charging zone. A J1772 charger is available from HD for $700 and really works good rated at 40amp. Also has a delay for low rate night time charging. Gone will be the hot plugs and melting prongs that so many complain about.

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

Cor van de Water
I checked the Home Despot website (assuming that is what
you referred to with the HD) and saw that they have a
very diverse set of charging stations, the highest power
that I could find (the somewhat infamous GE WattStation):
- the price is $979
- the plug is NEMA 6-50P
- max current is 30A

All other charging stations appear to be Level 1, even when
some call themselves level 2 because they are 12 or max 16A
and have a NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 plug (120V)

I cannot find a 40A $700 charging station.
Do you have a link?

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

corbin dunn
Hey Al -- that's not correct; the circuit I'm designing is designed for any J1772 use, and I'll be using it at a public charger every day (ie: my work).

What I implemented is something that all the Volts/Leafs/etc already have today; a way of controlling the EVSE in a "smart" fashion. But, like I said, I'll provide more details later after I get it installed in my car. So far, I've just tested it outside my car, and haven't mounted it yet.

corbin

On Aug 9, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Cruisin wrote:

> Corbin, the circuit you are designing would be acceptable for home use but
> could NOT be used on a public charger. New laws now limit the use of the
> charger for 4 hours in some areas. We should all design our systems similar
> to production cars using the J1772 for 220vac and a 110vac plug for public
> charging using less than 15amp. Chargers should also be at least 6kw for
> fast charging. I would NOT want to be stuck at a public charger with a
> 2k-2,5k charger unless you have a lot of time for shopping and am not in a 4
> hour limit charging zone. A J1772 charger is available from HD for $700 and
> really works good rated at 40amp. Also has a delay for low rate night time
> charging. Gone will be the hot plugs and melting prongs that so many
> complain about.

List of low cost EVSE : Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

brucedp5
I posted a list of low cost EVSE a while back.
http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-td3835375

I just verified and updated it. Interesting, some prices went down, and
some up.
The plugin America link has up to a 70A EVSE listed.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

-

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

tomw
Sounds cool Corbin!  Should be able to integrate it into EVW's 10k charger.

On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:53 AM, tomw wrote:

> Sounds cool Corbin!  Should be able to integrate it into EVW's 10k charger.

Yes, definitely! One thing I can't do with the Manzanita PFC-30 charger is control how many amps it is drawing. That's sort of unfortunate. I may look into getting/building the EVW charger at some point so I can have full control over things.

corbin

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

Willie2
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 08:51:00AM -0700, corbin dunn wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:53 AM, tomw wrote:
>
> > Sounds cool Corbin!  Should be able to integrate it into EVW's 10k charger.
>
> Yes, definitely! One thing I can't do with the Manzanita PFC-30 charger is control how many amps it is drawing. That's sort of unfortunate. I may look into getting/building the EVW charger at some point so I can have full control over things.

There seems to be little interest here, but I'll go ahead and post once
more on my EVW 10kw.

It does, indeed, seem to be extraordinarily versatile.  The display
has poor contrast, the input of values is a bit tedious, the
functioning of the buttons is confusing.  I did replace the screw
terminal strip with this:
http://www.waytekwire.com/item/47386/6-POSITION-TERMINAL-BLOCK/
I've been trying to "home in" on the correct input current limit
setting for my power source.  Now at about 44amps (as I recall) but it
occasionally trips the 50 amp breaker.  With the input current limits
I've set so far, it puts ~50 amps into the ~160vdc battery.  The
output current limit is 60 amps; I've never seen more than 50 amps
come out, as expected.  I've replaced all my initial wiring.  6ga all
the way for 240vac.  8ga seems ok for the output.

I haven't gotten it to balance charge well though it does go down to an
amp or so.  It just doesn't seem to want to do the trickle charge for
very long.

But the good news is that I haven't yet let the smoke out!

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: Adding J1772 capabilities to a conversion

John O'Connor
Doesn't the ability of the MM PFC-xx to control input current depend on the pack voltage relative to AC line voltage?

For example is I am charging a 144v pack from 120v I thought the current knob defined max input current.

John