Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

Steve Kobb
I was talking with a mechanic today about EVs. He told me that he'd seen an interesting one lately.

The story got my curiosity, so I thought I'd share it with the list to see what others might have to say about it.

Here goes:

According to my friend, a Vietnamese mechanic here in Houston has converted an older, non-Bug VW to electric power. I can't remember how many batteries were used, but there weren't many.

The surprising thing, though, is how he kept these things powered. He built a bracket over each wheel well, and to this bracket, he attached an alternator. So -- 4 wheels with 4 alternators... and all this stuff is hanging off the OUTSIDE of the car.

Then, on the hub of each wheel, he's got a pulley... and, of course, there's a belt turning each alternator.

Last, but not least, he's got 2 or 3 alternators on the front of the car, and each of them are driven by fans.

Again, according to my mechanic friend, the owner of this EV is able to drive around 6 hours on his rather modest battery pack... and he's taken the car up to 110 mph.

Now, does this seem plausible to you? Have any laws of physics been broken here?

Your comments are welcome.

Steve Kobb

Tonight: Pullman EV Club meeting

Roger Daisley
Tonight will be the very first meeting of the Pullman (WA) EV club. The
purpose of the club is to promote, advise and encourage EV purchase,
construction and conversions within the club membership, but also to raise
positive awareness of EV's within the community.

Place: Pullman, WA, Pizza Hut (Next to Kinko's)
Time: 6:30PM
Contact: Roger Daisley
                [hidden email]
                1-877-454-0205

Everyone is welcome

Re: Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

Dan Frederiksen-2
Steve Kobb wrote:
> Now, does this seem plausible to you? Have any laws of physics been broken
> here?

no on both counts I'm afraid. while you can run a car with fans just as
you can run a ship with sails it has little to do with 110mph for 6
hours. I would be surprised if the attachments would add anything in
range to a typical drive. while I believe the fantastic is possible,
indeed I know it is, I'm afraid the car in question is either by a
deranged man or a comedian

Dan

Re: Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

Peter VanDerWal
You do realize that April 1st was over 7 months ago, right?

> I was talking with a mechanic today about EVs. He told me that he'd seen
> an
> interesting one lately.
>
> The story got my curiosity, so I thought I'd share it with the list to see
> what others might have to say about it.
>
> Here goes:
>
> According to my friend, a Vietnamese mechanic here in Houston has
> converted
> an older, non-Bug VW to electric power. I can't remember how many
> batteries
> were used, but there weren't many.
>
> The surprising thing, though, is how he kept these things powered. He
> built
> a bracket over each wheel well, and to this bracket, he attached an
> alternator. So -- 4 wheels with 4 alternators... and all this stuff is
> hanging off the OUTSIDE of the car.
>
> Then, on the hub of each wheel, he's got a pulley... and, of course,
> there's
> a belt turning each alternator.
>
> Last, but not least, he's got 2 or 3 alternators on the front of the car,
> and each of them are driven by fans.
>
> Again, according to my mechanic friend, the owner of this EV is able to
> drive around 6 hours on his rather modest battery pack... and he's taken
> the
> car up to 110 mph.
>
> Now, does this seem plausible to you? Have any laws of physics been broken
> here?
>
> Your comments are welcome.
>
> Steve Kobb

wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

Re: Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

Tom Shay
Connecting an alternator to each wheel and three more up front is
really doing things the hard way.  A single larger alternator can be
attached to the motor that propels the car or to a seperate motor.

When I was a teenager and before my head became crammed with
ideas about electrical engineering,  physics and thermodynamics,
I "invented" an electric car that needed no batteries.  It used a two-
shaft motor.  One shaft was connected to the transmission to drive
the car.  The other shaft drove a generator which produced electricity
to run the motor.  A hand crank or small starter motor could spin the
motor and generator to get the car started.

Even as a teenager I had doubts about this system.  Surely somebody
had already invented this scheme and tried it.  It probably didn't work
or else electric cars without batteries would be widely used.

> I was talking with a mechanic today about EVs. He told me that he'd seen
> an
> interesting one lately.
>
> The story got my curiosity, so I thought I'd share it with the list to see
> what others might have to say about it.
>
> Here goes:
>
> According to my friend, a Vietnamese mechanic here in Houston has
> converted
> an older, non-Bug VW to electric power. I can't remember how many
> batteries
> were used, but there weren't many.
>
> The surprising thing, though, is how he kept these things powered. He
> built
> a bracket over each wheel well, and to this bracket, he attached an
> alternator. So -- 4 wheels with 4 alternators... and all this stuff is
> hanging off the OUTSIDE of the car.
>
> Then, on the hub of each wheel, he's got a pulley... and, of course,
> there's
> a belt turning each alternator.
>
> Last, but not least, he's got 2 or 3 alternators on the front of the car,
> and each of them are driven by fans.
>
> Again, according to my mechanic friend, the owner of this EV is able to
> drive around 6 hours on his rather modest battery pack... and he's taken
> the
> car up to 110 mph.
>
> Now, does this seem plausible to you? Have any laws of physics been broken
> here?
>
> Your comments are welcome.
>
> Steve Kobb

Re: Alternators: 1 on each wheel + 3 in the front

drdhdmd

This is more of the same non-sense.  There actually is another  electric
DeLorean out there.  It had a "device" attached to the motor that  would recharge
the batteries "as long as you drove over 35 mph".  The  inventor raised a lot
of money and I understand spent some time in jail for  it.  I heard that the
"device" was an automobile alternator with its  regulator removed, that would
magically produce 120 Volts to charge the  batteries.   For more info Google
Tilley DeLorean....

For now my electric DeLorean will have to work within the bounds of physics
here on earth.

Thank  you,

Dave Delman
1981 Electric DeLorean  Project