AmpAbout - EVs at the Local Charging Station

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AmpAbout - EVs at the Local Charging Station

Tom Keenan
The City of Alameda installed a pair of Chargepoint dual Level 1 / Level 2 charging stations at the Alameda Theater parking garage.  The first incarnation of public charging there was three 120v outlets, installed around 2009.  There were installed because I asked the city engineers to consider EV parking as they built the parking structure.  I had a Citicar then, and most days would be the only one parked in one of the three EV spots.
In 2010 or so, the city installed a Chargepoint unit, replacing one of the 120v outlets. It was still a rare occurrence to see more than my Citicar parked there. I installed a J1772 system in the Citicar to take advantage of the faster charging afforded by Level 2 charging.
With the advent of the Leaf, the city installed a second Chargepoint station, and removed the remaining 120v outlet. In 2012, the charging stations began to see more use, and for the first time I saw three EVs using the three EV parking spaces!
Since mid-2012, it has become quite common for the three spaces to be occupied, and I occasionally find I have to park my EV (currently an Electricar) elsewhere.
Most of the time, the EV drivers will plug in their cars, but sometimes they just use the spaces as their 'reserved' space and don't plug in.  More recently, PIHs have been parking there as well, plugging in about half of the time.
Some recent highlights -
Four Leafs in a row (two charging).
Four different EVs (Tesla model S, Leaf, Electricar and a BMW Active E) all four plugged in!
Three different Ford plug-ins (new Ford Escort EV, Ford C-Max PIH, Electricar (1989 Escort conversion). All three charging.
This particular location has become quite popular with plug-in vehicles. The problem used to be that there weren't enough EVs to justify installing charging infrastructure, now it seems to be a case of not enough infrastructure to be able be certain a plug will be available. I suppose the next step is to petition the city to install another pair of charging pedestals.

Tom Keenan

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AmpAbout - EVs at the Local Charging Station

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
An interesting Ampabout experience.

>Most of the time, the EV drivers will plug in their cars, but sometimes
> they just use the spaces as their 'reserved' space and don't plug in.
> More recently, PIHs have been parking there as well, plugging in about
> half of the time.

Now this is the ugly part of having many, noob EV drivers that have not
adopted that 'be-considerate' friendliness that the EV community has
enjoyed for so long. New EV drivers are doing things that are just as
raunchy/inconsiderate as ice-drivers (:sigh: times they are a changing).

I have seen this bad-behavior way-too much. Of course it could be that
the plugins were originally plugged in, later had their coupler moved to
a different vehicle (so it just looks like the driver was rude to block
access to an EVSE out of sheer laziness).

GM put plugin ticket/tow-away laws on the books (by pulling in favors to
those many Govt reps they donate to), but parking law enforcement in
Tom's (and my) SF Bay area, not only do not know of them, after you
informed them, they do not care to take action (there is no incentive as
it was not written into their SOP). GM put those laws on the books to
protect their pih (they incorrectly call an EV to garner all the
perks/accolades without the EV commitment). Inconsiderate parking has
been discussed on the evdl in the past: How to effectively-communicate
to the inconsiderate plugin driver without yourself being-nasty .


>Three different Ford plug-ins (new Ford Escort EV, Ford C-Max PIH,
> Electricar (1989 Escort conversion).

I think Tom meant 'new Ford Focus EV', as the Escort line went bye-bye
awhile ago. I had a nice Ford Escort Wagon conversion for a while. It
was a sweet ride.
http://brucedp.0catch.com/escort/
http://brucedp.150m.com/escort/


For all those newswires I sieve through on a daily basis that I find a
huge portion is tainted anti-EV that says 'no one wants EVs' , you have
to wonder how can the public swallow that garbage(?). I have resolved
that the large growing base of the plugin (EVs and pih) drivers are
mostly in the 'enlightened' areas of the U.S. Thus, there are portions
of the populous that do not: know of EVs, want to know of EVs, nor (as
they were told to) like EVs or their frackin' drivers.

We may have many more plugins on the roads (yay!), but we still have
a-long-row-to-hoe in getting total acceptance (:buck-up and smile:).


{brucedp.150m.com}
...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frak_%28expletive%29
...
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/a+long+row+to+hoe.html
...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buck%20up



-
On Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 09:44 AM, Tom Keenan wrote:
> The City of Alameda installed a pair of Chargepoint dual Level 1 / Level
> 2 charging stations at the Alameda Theater parking garage.  The first
> incarnation of public charging there was three 120v outlets, installed
> around 2009.  There were installed because I asked the city engineers to
> consider EV parking as they built the parking structure.  I had a Citicar
> then, and most days would be the only one parked in one of the three EV
> spots.
> In 2010 or so, the city installed a Chargepoint unit, replacing one of
> the 120v outlets. It was still a rare occurrence to see more than my
> Citicar parked there. I installed a J1772 system in the Citicar to take
> advantage of the faster charging afforded by Level 2 charging.
> With the advent of the Leaf, the city installed a second Chargepoint
> station, and removed the remaining 120v outlet. In 2012, the charging
> stations began to see more use, and for the first time I saw three EVs
> using the three EV parking spaces!
> Since mid-2012, it has become quite common for the three spaces to be
> occupied, and I occasionally find I have to park my EV (currently an
> Electricar) elsewhere.
> Most of the time, the EV drivers will plug in their cars, but sometimes
> they just use the spaces as their 'reserved' space and don't plug in.
> More recently, PIHs have been parking there as well, plugging in about
> half of the time.
> Some recent highlights -
> Four Leafs in a row (two charging).
> Four different EVs (Tesla model S, Leaf, Electricar and a BMW Active E)
> all four plugged in!
> Three different Ford plug-ins (new Ford Escort EV, Ford C-Max PIH,
> Electricar (1989 Escort conversion). All three charging.
> This particular location has become quite popular with plug-in vehicles.
> The problem used to be that there weren't enough EVs to justify
> installing charging infrastructure, now it seems to be a case of not
> enough infrastructure to be able be certain a plug will be available. I
> suppose the next step is to petition the city to install another pair of
> charging pedestals.
-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AmpAbout - EVs at the Local Charging Station

robert winfield
In reply to this post by Tom Keenan
at NIH in Bethesda, Md, 8, 120v plugs were installed in 3 parking garages and comissioned (officially) on June 26th, 2012. 2 different floors of one garage (4 plugs) and 2 plugs in 2 other garages at the opposite ends of campus.
we have a more or more (not less) unofficial count of 20 EV's and PHEV's, Prius, Leaf and Volt. In 23 weeks, 110 work days until 12/3, 24kWh are being drawn per day or about 17 hours per day use across all 8 stations.
 
the takeaway I get is 20 EV and PHEV for 8 plugs or a pentup demand. Most all of them are just regular folks who want better transportation. Some folk are being "creative" with their parking to plug in.
 
like Tom says, hopefully, the next step are more plugs (and transitioning to a "payin to plugin" to avoid the 'charge' of free fuel during our pilot project.)

--- On Sun, 1/6/13, Tom Keenan <[hidden email]> wrote:


From: Tom Keenan <[hidden email]>
Subject: [EVDL] AmpAbout - EVs at the Local Charging Station
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[hidden email]>
Date: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 12:44 PM


The City of Alameda installed a pair of Chargepoint dual Level 1 / Level 2 charging stations at the Alameda Theater parking garage.  The first incarnation of public charging there was three 120v outlets, installed around 2009.  There were installed because I asked the city engineers to consider EV parking as they built the parking structure.  I had a Citicar then, and most days would be the only one parked in one of the three EV spots.
In 2010 or so, the city installed a Chargepoint unit, replacing one of the 120v outlets. It was still a rare occurrence to see more than my Citicar parked there. I installed a J1772 system in the Citicar to take advantage of the faster charging afforded by Level 2 charging.
With the advent of the Leaf, the city installed a second Chargepoint station, and removed the remaining 120v outlet. In 2012, the charging stations began to see more use, and for the first time I saw three EVs using the three EV parking spaces!
Since mid-2012, it has become quite common for the three spaces to be occupied, and I occasionally find I have to park my EV (currently an Electricar) elsewhere.
Most of the time, the EV drivers will plug in their cars, but sometimes they just use the spaces as their 'reserved' space and don't plug in.  More recently, PIHs have been parking there as well, plugging in about half of the time.
Some recent highlights -
Four Leafs in a row (two charging).
Four different EVs (Tesla model S, Leaf, Electricar and a BMW Active E) all four plugged in!
Three different Ford plug-ins (new Ford Escort EV, Ford C-Max PIH, Electricar (1989 Escort conversion). All three charging.
This particular location has become quite popular with plug-in vehicles. The problem used to be that there weren't enough EVs to justify installing charging infrastructure, now it seems to be a case of not enough infrastructure to be able be certain a plug will be available. I suppose the next step is to petition the city to install another pair of charging pedestals.

Tom Keenan

_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20130106/e497e1e5/attachment.htm>
_______________________________________________
UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org
For EV drag racing discussion, please use NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)