Antwerp.be SuperEVSE &Tesla-S EV fire

 (EVfire)
https://electrek.co/2019/06/01/tesla-fire-supercharger/
Tesla vehicle caught on fire while plugged in at Supercharger station
Jun. 1st 2019  Fred Lambert

[image
https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/06/Tesla-Supercharger-fire-hero.jpg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/06/TEsla-fire-supercharger-2.jpeg
]

A Tesla Model S has caught on fire and completely burned down while plugged
in at Tesla’s Supercharger station in Antwerp, Belgium.

The local news is reporting that the Model S caught on fire a little while
after starting to charge (translated from Dutch):

“The driver of the car had parked it at a so-called ‘Supercharger’, a fast
charging station, at the Novotel at Luithagen-Haven. When he returned a
little later, his Tesla and the supercharger were lit up. Possibly there was
a technical problem before charging.”

The fire brigade used an interesting technique to extinguish the fire and
make sure it doesn’t reignite, which has been an issue with electric car
fires.

Antwerp’s fire department submerged the car into a pool of water:

“Moments later, the fire was extinguished by the fire department by
immersing the car in a container with water. To ensure that the fire does
not flare up again, the Tesla, or what remains of it, remained in the water
for the rest of the night.”

Here are some pictures of the aftermath (by Marc De Roeck via HLN):

 TEsla fire supercharger TEsla fire supercharger 2 TEsla fire supercharger 3
We contated Tesla about the situation and we will update if we get an
answer.

Tesla fires at Supercharger stations have been quite rare, but it’s not the
first example.

Back in 2016, a Tesla Model S caught fire and burned down while charging at
a Supercharger station in Norway.

At the time, the automaker said that the cause of the fire was a
short-circuit in the car and though the automaker doesn’t know why the
short-circuit happened, it nonetheless pushed a software update to its fleet
to “provide extra security during charging”.

More recently, Tesla updated its battery management software after several
Tesla Model S vehicles have caught on fire seemingly on their own without
any accident.

Electrek’s Take
It seems like there have been many Tesla fires lately and they seem to all
be Model S vehicles. We know of at least 4 in the past 2 months.

To be fair, thousand more gas-powered cars have caught on fire during those
two months.

What’s more worrying about the Tesla fires is that we don’t know much about
the cause of the fires.

If the fire started after connecting to the Supercharger, it’s important to
understand what happened.

Like with the situation in Norway 3 years ago, it might be difficult to
pinpoint the cause due to the state of the Model S, which is almost
completely burned down.

Either way, I think it’s fair to point out that there have been millions of
charging sessions on the Supercharger network at this point and only a
handful of incidents like this one.
[© electrek.co]

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/113189/20190604/another-tesla-car-burst-on-fire-burned-tesla-model-s-plugged-at-superchargers.htm
Another Tesla Car Burst On Fire, Burned Tesla Model S Plugged At
Superchargers
Jun 04, 2019
https://data.en.businesstimes.cn/data/thumbs/full/91013/750/0/0/0/tesla.jpg

https://dcist.com/story/19/06/03/skip-suspends-scooter-service-after-vehicle-catches-on-fire/