Autovolantor: a Flying PHEV

brucedp

http://www.gizmag.com/the-autovolantor-flying-car/9978/
[image] The autovolantor Flying Car  By Jack Martin  Sept 9, 2008
Moller International has announced that it has designed a hybrid flying
car. The two-seater autovolantor is fashioned in the shape of a Ferrari
599 GTB with wings and is claimed to be capable of lifting off vertically
from a traffic jam and flying at up to 150 mph for a short distance
(about 15 minutes). The autovolantor is designed to function on the road
very much like a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) using one of its
eight Rotapower engines to generate enough electrical power to drive for
up to 40 miles.

Moller International received a request to design this vehicle from a
wealthy foreign businessman who was unable to commute from the city to
his country home due to the overcrowded streets of Moscow. Moller
conducted a preliminary analysis and found that a hybrid propulsion
system powered by engines and electric motors together with its
propriety eight-fan stabilized aircraft design could be blended to
create the autovolantor.

Scale model wind tunnel testing and further analysis predicted
surprisingly good all around performance for the combined car-aircraft
according to Moller. While the cost for developing a prototype was
estimated at over US$5 million, Moller believes production versions of
the autovolantor could be produced for under US$250,000 in modest
volumes ...

It should also be noted that Moller International is now 25 years old,
and was formed with the expressed purpose of creating VTOL vehicles -
Moller had been previously successful in a number of ventures and has
demonstrated the [viability] of his ideas, but has yet to produce a
commercially available aircraft or flying car ...
[All content copyright © gizmag 2003 - 2010]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8upiUPyQaPo
[video 1:02 to 1:54] Moller Autovolantor ... Fast Lane Daily- 12Sept
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1082448/Stuck-traffic-Meet-new-supercar-based-Ferrari-fly-jams--500-000.html
[images] ... new supercar based on a Ferrari that could fly you out
of jams - for £500,000  By Arthur Martin  3rd Nov 2008
[© Associated Newspapers Ltd]

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Commercial-delivery-EVs-for-FedEx-Coca-Cola-PepsiCo-Staples-Frito-Lay-AT-amp-T-td3083155.html

Re: Autovolantor: a Flying PHEV

EVDL Administrator
But how long does it take to get your flight plan approved?

Re: Autovolantor: a Flying PHEV

Peter C. Thompson
Too bad that Moller will never produce anything that is "real".  I've
been following his stuff for a long time now (well over a decade), and
while he has been able to get the car to hover while tethered, it hasn't
gone any further.

It would be even better if it were a true hybrid for flight - using
electric motors for the fans and the engines for electricity
generation.  But isn't not.  Oh well.

Cheers,
     Peter

On 12/11/2010 6:57 PM, Bruce Parmenter wrote:

> http://www.gizmag.com/the-autovolantor-flying-car/9978/
> [image] The autovolantor Flying Car  By Jack Martin  Sept 9, 2008
> Moller International has announced that it has designed a hybrid flying
> car. The two-seater autovolantor is fashioned in the shape of a Ferrari
> 599 GTB with wings and is claimed to be capable of lifting off vertically
> from a traffic jam and flying at up to 150 mph for a short distance
> (about 15 minutes). The autovolantor is designed to function on the road
> very much like a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) using one of its
> eight Rotapower engines to generate enough electrical power to drive for
> up to 40 miles.
>
> Moller International received a request to design this vehicle from a
> wealthy foreign businessman who was unable to commute from the city to
> his country home due to the overcrowded streets of Moscow. Moller
> conducted a preliminary analysis and found that a hybrid propulsion
> system powered by engines and electric motors together with its
> propriety eight-fan stabilized aircraft design could be blended to
> create the autovolantor.
>
> Scale model wind tunnel testing and further analysis predicted
> surprisingly good all around performance for the combined car-aircraft
> according to Moller. While the cost for developing a prototype was
> estimated at over US$5 million, Moller believes production versions of
> the autovolantor could be produced for under US$250,000 in modest
> volumes ...
>
> It should also be noted that Moller International is now 25 years old,
> and was formed with the expressed purpose of creating VTOL vehicles -
> Moller had been previously successful in a number of ventures and has
> demonstrated the [viability] of his ideas, but has yet to produce a
> commercially available aircraft or flying car ...
> [All content copyright © gizmag 2003 - 2010]
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8upiUPyQaPo
> [video 1:02 to 1:54] Moller Autovolantor ... Fast Lane Daily- 12Sept
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1082448/Stuck-traffic-Meet-new-supercar-based-Ferrari-fly-jams--500-000.html
> [images] ... new supercar based on a Ferrari that could fly you out
> of jams - for £500,000  By Arthur Martin  3rd Nov 2008
> [© Associated Newspapers Ltd]
>

> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Commercial-delivery-EVs-for-FedEx-Coca-Cola-PepsiCo-Staples-Frito-Lay-AT-amp-T-td3083155.html

> .

*Peter C. Thompson*
*Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
(858) 692-3571
AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
[hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509