Azure DMOC445 Programming

Does anyone know how to get the DMOC out of test mode?  I replaced the
controller circuit board  with a new one I purchased a few years ago.  It
will NOT communicate to the ccShell.  However when I connect to a TTY
terminal program and power on to says "test 5 and 6 passed, press r to
return"   I assume that it is in some kind of a testing mode but do not know
how to put it into service.  I am hoping that it is a simple "press this key
and then that one.  Worst case is a PROM that is not loaded, if so, then I
guess I am screwed.  The manual stops at "if you didn't see ...xyz" then
call Azure.

Thanks in Advance,

Buddy Mills
[hidden email]

Look mom, no gas. www.evalbum.com/2887

Disclaimer:  No animals were harmed or killed in the process of writing this
email.  Any stories to the contrary are, for the most part, either fictional
or greatly exaggerated.

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

The new one almost certainly had only the test firmware on it - that's
how they came new. You have to use the Azure tools to flash the proper
firmware onto it. Yes, this is not going to be pleasant.
Unfortunately, while I know how to flash DMOCs, I don't believe that
I've got DMOC445 firmware to flash onto your board. It might be
possible to flash DMOC645 firmware onto your DMOC445 but I don't know
what that would do.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 9:39 AM Buddy Mills via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get the DMOC out of test mode?  I replaced the
> controller circuit board  with a new one I purchased a few years ago.  It
> will NOT communicate to the ccShell.  However when I connect to a TTY
> terminal program and power on to says "test 5 and 6 passed, press r to
> return"   I assume that it is in some kind of a testing mode but do not know
> how to put it into service.  I am hoping that it is a simple "press this key
> and then that one.  Worst case is a PROM that is not loaded, if so, then I
> guess I am screwed.  The manual stops at "if you didn't see ...xyz" then
> call Azure.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Buddy Mills
> [hidden email]
>
> Look mom, no gas. www.evalbum.com/2887
>
> Disclaimer:  No animals were harmed or killed in the process of writing this
> email.  Any stories to the contrary are, for the most part, either fictional
> or greatly exaggerated.

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

From what I could tell, Solectria/Azure tended to be somewhat proprietary.
The Brusa inveters they sold in the early- to mid-1990s were pretty well
documented, but more through Brusa than Solectria.  Again, those were my
impressions; others may have had different experiences.

I got the distinct impression that with the UMOC and DMOC range, Solectria
and Azure intentionally further limited what their users could learn and do.
IIRC they even passworded the inverters' computer interface, which wasn't
done on the Brusa inverters.  If you wanted your drive reconfigured, their
answer was usually "ship it to us and we'll do it for you."  For a fee, of
course.  But they sure did make nice AC drives.

I see that Soliectria's (and I think Azure's) former marketing director,
Karl E Thidemann, is on Linked In.  It's an extremely long shot, but I
wonder if he might be able to hook you up with one of their former engineers
or support techs.  If you're a Linkie (I'm not), you might try getting in
touch with him.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-thidemann-a971b853

Also, Lee Hart may have current contact into for James Worden.  Whether
Worden would be able or willing to help, I don't know.

Other than that you might scout around for a possible hacker (in the older
positive sense) community, something like the one that grew up round the old
Dolphin drives used in US Electricar EVs.  I don't know whether enough of
the UMOC/DMOC units ever fell into hobbyist hands for that to happen.  Maybe
you could try a post on the solectria_ev Yahoo group, if you haven't
already.

Good luck!

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

I had a DMOC445 in the Electric Auto Union.  I remember Beth Silverman sending me the firmware on line.  Is it possible to copy another DMOC445 programing?

> On October 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> From what I could tell, Solectria/Azure tended to be somewhat proprietary.
> The Brusa inveters they sold in the early- to mid-1990s were pretty well
> documented, but more through Brusa than Solectria.  Again, those were my
> impressions; others may have had different experiences.
>
> I got the distinct impression that with the UMOC and DMOC range, Solectria
> and Azure intentionally further limited what their users could learn and do.
> IIRC they even passworded the inverters' computer interface, which wasn't
> done on the Brusa inverters.  If you wanted your drive reconfigured, their
> answer was usually "ship it to us and we'll do it for you."  For a fee, of
> course.  But they sure did make nice AC drives.
>
> I see that Soliectria's (and I think Azure's) former marketing director,
> Karl E Thidemann, is on Linked In.  It's an extremely long shot, but I
> wonder if he might be able to hook you up with one of their former engineers
> or support techs.  If you're a Linkie (I'm not), you might try getting in
> touch with him.
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-thidemann-a971b853
>
> Also, Lee Hart may have current contact into for James Worden.  Whether
> Worden would be able or willing to help, I don't know.
>
> Other than that you might scout around for a possible hacker (in the older
> positive sense) community, something like the one that grew up round the old
> Dolphin drives used in US Electricar EVs.  I don't know whether enough of
> the UMOC/DMOC units ever fell into hobbyist hands for that to happen.  Maybe
> you could try a post on the solectria_ev Yahoo group, if you haven't
> already.

> Good luck!
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

If I'm remembering correctly they did lock the chip so you can't just
read out the firmware from a working unit. If you could I would, I do
have one. But, if someone happens to have firmware in an email then I
can flash that firmware onto a board. I just don't have any DMOC445
firmware files to flash.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM AL SWACKHAMMER via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a DMOC445 in the Electric Auto Union.  I remember Beth Silverman sending me the firmware on line.  Is it possible to copy another DMOC445 programing?
>

> > On October 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > From what I could tell, Solectria/Azure tended to be somewhat proprietary.
> > The Brusa inveters they sold in the early- to mid-1990s were pretty well
> > documented, but more through Brusa than Solectria.  Again, those were my
> > impressions; others may have had different experiences.
> >
> > I got the distinct impression that with the UMOC and DMOC range, Solectria
> > and Azure intentionally further limited what their users could learn and do.
> > IIRC they even passworded the inverters' computer interface, which wasn't
> > done on the Brusa inverters.  If you wanted your drive reconfigured, their
> > answer was usually "ship it to us and we'll do it for you."  For a fee, of
> > course.  But they sure did make nice AC drives.
> >
> > I see that Soliectria's (and I think Azure's) former marketing director,
> > Karl E Thidemann, is on Linked In.  It's an extremely long shot, but I
> > wonder if he might be able to hook you up with one of their former engineers
> > or support techs.  If you're a Linkie (I'm not), you might try getting in
> > touch with him.
> >
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-thidemann-a971b853
> >
> > Also, Lee Hart may have current contact into for James Worden.  Whether
> > Worden would be able or willing to help, I don't know.
> >
> > Other than that you might scout around for a possible hacker (in the older
> > positive sense) community, something like the one that grew up round the old
> > Dolphin drives used in US Electricar EVs.  I don't know whether enough of
> > the UMOC/DMOC units ever fell into hobbyist hands for that to happen.  Maybe
> > you could try a post on the solectria_ev Yahoo group, if you haven't
> > already.

> > Good luck!
> >
> > David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> > EVDL Administrator
> >
> > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> > EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

Try this link, hope it is what you are looking for? https://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4406 Cheers! ---- On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:07:03 -0700 Collin Kidder via EV <[hidden email]> wrote ---- If I'm remembering correctly they did lock the chip so you can't just read out the firmware from a working unit. If you could I would, I do have one. But, if someone happens to have firmware in an email then I can flash that firmware onto a board. I just don't have any DMOC445 firmware files to flash. On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM AL SWACKHAMMER via EV <[hidden email]> wrote: > > I had a DMOC445 in the Electric Auto Union. I remember Beth Silverman sending me the firmware on line. Is it possible to copy another DMOC445 programing? > > > > On October 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote: > > > > > > From what I could tell, Solectria/Azure tended to be somewhat proprietary. > > The Brusa inveters they sold in the early- to mid-1990s were pretty well > > documented, but more through Brusa than Solectria. Again, those were my > > impressions; others may have had different experiences. > > > > I got the distinct impression that with the UMOC and DMOC range, Solectria > > and Azure intentionally further limited what their users could learn and do. > > IIRC they even passworded the inverters' computer interface, which wasn't > > done on the Brusa inverters. If you wanted your drive reconfigured, their > > answer was usually "ship it to us and we'll do it for you." For a fee, of > > course. But they sure did make nice AC drives. > > > > I see that Soliectria's (and I think Azure's) former marketing director, > > Karl E Thidemann, is on Linked In. It's an extremely long shot, but I > > wonder if he might be able to hook you up with one of their former engineers > > or support techs. If you're a Linkie (I'm not), you might try getting in > > touch with him. > > > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-thidemann-a971b853 > > > > Also, Lee Hart may have current contact into for James Worden. Whether > > Worden would be able or willing to help, I don't know. > > > > Other than that you might scout around for a possible hacker (in the older > > positive sense) community, something like the one that grew up round the old > > Dolphin drives used in US Electricar EVs. I don't know whether enough of > > the UMOC/DMOC units ever fell into hobbyist hands for that to happen. Maybe > > you could try a post on the solectria_ev Yahoo group, if you haven't > > already. > > > > https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/solectria_ev > > > > Good luck! > > > > David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA > > EVDL Administrator > > > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/ > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not > > reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my > > email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ . > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > > > _______________________________________________ > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > _______________________________________________ UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)

Re: Azure DMOC445 Programming

Well, those files could be handy but they aren't quite what we need -
yet. Still missing is a firmware file to flash to the DMOC to make it
actually control a motor. There could have been multiple versions to
support different motor styles. But, at this point any firmware image
would be better than no firmware image. The files in the link you
provided are configuration files that you use to change settings once
you've got firmware installed. So, they are important but needed later
on in the process.

            Thanks for replying, Happen to get any word from James? Did the OP Happen to answer your question from the image?Cheers!---- On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:44:46 -0700  Wolf<[hidden email]> wrote ----Unfortunately, I don't have the firmware for the DMOC445...I emailed James to see if he knows anyone that would have it.Is this what you get out of the drive?http://www.wolftronix.com/dmoc445_101021-003/images/IMG_5070.jpgOn Tue, Oct 30, 2018, 5:18 PM neurocis <[hidden email]> wrote:I am wondering then if "The Wolf" would have it, he does a ton with UMOC DMOC and BRUSA controllers ... CC'd [hidden email] on this thread.Failing that I do have James as a connection on LinkedIn.Site: http://www.wolftronix.com/index.html---- On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:04:44 -0700 Collin Kidder via EV <[hidden email]> wrote ----Well, those files could be handy but they aren't quite what we need - yet. Still missing is a firmware file to flash to the DMOC to make it actually control a motor. There could have been multiple versions to support different motor styles. But, at this point any firmware image would be better than no firmware image. The files in the link you provided are configuration files that you use to change settings once you've got firmware installed. So, they are important but needed later on in the process.  On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:25 PM neurocis <[hidden email]> wrote: > > Try this link, hope it is what you are looking for? > > https://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4406 > > Cheers! > > > ---- On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:07:03 -0700 Collin Kidder via EV <[hidden email]> wrote ---- > > If I'm remembering correctly they did lock the chip so you can't just > read out the firmware from a working unit. If you could I would, I do > have one. But, if someone happens to have firmware in an email then I > can flash that firmware onto a board. I just don't have any DMOC445 > firmware files to flash. > > On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:59 PM AL SWACKHAMMER via EV <[hidden email]> wrote: > > > > I had a DMOC445 in the Electric Auto Union. I remember Beth Silverman sending me the firmware on line. Is it possible to copy another DMOC445 programing? > > > > > > > On October 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote: > > > > > > > > > From what I could tell, Solectria/Azure tended to be somewhat proprietary. > > > The Brusa inveters they sold in the early- to mid-1990s were pretty well > > > documented, but more through Brusa than Solectria. Again, those were my > > > impressions; others may have had different experiences. > > > > > > I got the distinct impression that with the UMOC and DMOC range, Solectria > > > and Azure intentionally further limited what their users could learn and do. > > > IIRC they even passworded the inverters' computer interface, which wasn't > > > done on the Brusa inverters. If you wanted your drive reconfigured, their > > > answer was usually "ship it to us and we'll do it for you." For a fee, of > > > course. But they sure did make nice AC drives. > > > > > > I see that Soliectria's (and I think Azure's) former marketing director, > > > Karl E Thidemann, is on Linked In. It's an extremely long shot, but I > > > wonder if he might be able to hook you up with one of their former engineers > > > or support techs. If you're a Linkie (I'm not), you might try getting in > > > touch with him. > > > > > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-thidemann-a971b853 > > > > > > Also, Lee Hart may have current contact into for James Worden. Whether > > > Worden would be able or willing to help, I don't know. > > > > > > Other than that you might scout around for a possible hacker (in the older > > > positive sense) community, something like the one that grew up round the old > > > Dolphin drives used in US Electricar EVs. I don't know whether enough of > > > the UMOC/DMOC units ever fell into hobbyist hands for that to happen. Maybe > > > you could try a post on the solectria_ev Yahoo group, if you haven't > > > already. > > > > > > https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/solectria_ev > > > > > > Good luck! > > > > > > David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA > > > EVDL Administrator > > > > > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > > EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/ > > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > > Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not > > > reach me. To send a private message, please obtain my > > > email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ . > > > = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = > > > > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > > > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > > > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > > > _______________________________________________ > UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub > http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org > Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA) > > > _______________________________________________ UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org Please discuss EV drag racing at NEDRA (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NEDRA)