BMS for Deka Gel with BRUSA Charger

Tehben Dean
What, if anything, is recommended for a BMS with a pack of 26 12v Deka
Dominator Gel batts?
I have the BRUSA NLG513-SA charger.

Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup
'hElix EV'
Website: www.helixev.com
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

Re: BMS for Deka Gel with BRUSA Charger

EVDL Administrator
On 16 Aug 2007 at 21:48, Tehben Dean wrote:

> What, if anything, is recommended for a BMS with a pack of 26 12v Deka
> Dominator Gel batts?
> I have the BRUSA NLG513-SA charger.

Solectria Forces used 13 Dominators for years without any individual battery
regulators.  Battery life was typically 3-5 years, some appreciably longer.
These batteries are very consistent and seem to do reasonably well without
regulators.

OTOH, you have a string twice as long as a Force's.  Varying temperatures
could also have a deletrious effect on balance.

What profile are you using for the charger?

Re: BMS for Deka Gel with BRUSA Charger

Tehben Dean
> OTOH, you have a string twice as long as a Force's.  Varying temperatures
> could also have a deletrious effect on balance.
I am planning on 2 boxes with 1inch of insulation on the bottom and
walls and 2inches on the top. They will be located under the bed with
10 batts in one and 12 in the other. I hope to squeeze the other 4
under the hood.

> What profile are you using for the charger?
Well I have not actually hooked anything up yet so that is something I
need to figure out.
...any suggestions?

Tehben

On 8/16/07, David Roden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Aug 2007 at 21:48, Tehben Dean wrote:
>
> > What, if anything, is recommended for a BMS with a pack of 26 12v Deka
> > Dominator Gel batts?
> > I have the BRUSA NLG513-SA charger.
>
> Solectria Forces used 13 Dominators for years without any individual battery
> regulators.  Battery life was typically 3-5 years, some appreciably longer.
> These batteries are very consistent and seem to do reasonably well without
> regulators.
>
> OTOH, you have a string twice as long as a Force's.  Varying temperatures
> could also have a deletrious effect on balance.
>

> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Tehben
'90 Toyota 4x4 Pickup
'hElix EV'
Website: www.helixev.com
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

Re: BMS for Deka Gel with BRUSA Charger

Mike Willmon-3
Tehben,  I can't comment on the charger profile as I am not familar with the Brusa.  However I can tell you of a guy here in
Anchorage that had a Ranger 5 or 6 years ago in which he had two boxes under the bed and one under his hood.  He could never keep
the front batteries as warm and wound up killing them.  He said after two years of replacing the front ones a couple times, he
deleted them and put the rest in a box in the back. thats why mine are in the back of the bed at this time.  I didn't want to have
to deal with temperature differentials first off in my conversion.  Now the I've been driving a year I may put then under the bed
in two boxes.  But I won't put any under the hood.

If you do, I would add a little extra insulationor maybe a doggie heating blanket to the box.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

On 16 Aug 2007 at 23:22, Mike Willmon wrote:

> He could never keep the front batteries as warm and wound up killing them.

In the S-10s, I'm pretty sure Solectria had all the batteries under the bed,
so they would have been roughly the same temperature.  The Force had some
batteries under the hood, some in the former spare tire well, and some under
the rear seat.  This didn't seem to cause problems.  However, I'm pretty
sure they had temp sensors in at least 2 of the battery boxes.  The Brusa
NLG4 (used in many of the mid-90s Forces) had inputs for 2 sensors.

Re: BMS for Deka Gel with BRUSA Charger

Tehben Dean
hmmm. I figured it would be important to get some weight in the front.
But if I even managed it would be a squeeze.
You think they weight thing isn't an issue?