Balancing A123 cells

Jeff Shanab
In this pdf, the company purposely charged and discharged a 4 cell pack
without balancing to show how cells get damaged.
(of course they are trying to sell their charger)

http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1229.pdf

Re: Balancing A123 cells

Dan Frederiksen-2
it's for recharging R/C packs. there are various mistakes/typos in the
document too. other than talk a lot I'm not sure what good data it
contains.
it's a familiar claim of being able to bring back damaged batteries.

the document doesn't seem to be about balancing though. but about damage
from over discharging. and yes I think it's mostly about fooling the R/C
people into thinking that it's smart and scientific. 'you need this'
'you are smart if you buy this'

Jeff Shanab wrote:

> In this pdf, the company purposely charged and discharged a 4 cell pack
> without balancing to show how cells get damaged.
> (of course they are trying to sell their charger)
>
> http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1229.pdf

Re: Balancing A123 cells

Jon Glauser
I'm in the RC group. This is about a charger that has a balancer built
into it. Most LiPo chargers designed for multi-cell packs have balancing
built in. See the extra little connector (not the main large connector)
with multiple wires? That lets the charger balance the pack. They also
mentioned a product that acts as a low voltage cutoff to prevent over
discharge. The only significantly different thing about their product is
that they designed it with "special" A123 algorithms in the charger.