Batteries, Can't quite make a choice

Batteries, Can't quite make a choice – First I would like to thank the listserv. I has been most helpful to get this hobby going. A little confusing at times, but helpful. I am in...
Buddy, If I were you I would look at lithium. By the time you load up a tercel with about 1000 lbs of batteries the AC24 will give very ane...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > If I were you I would look at lithium. By the time you load up a > tercel with about 1000 lbs of batteries th...
On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Lee Hart wrote: > Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> If I were you I would look at lithium. By the time you l...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > According to information I have read Lithiums are better at absorbing > short bursts of energy (typical of reg...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 12:00 AM, Lee Hart wrote: > Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> According to information I have read Lithiums are better...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: Lee Hart wrote: > I remember one source was from a group developing a lithium pack for a > Prius plug-in conver...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Lee Hart wrote: >> >> To get the range I want from my vehicle I would need over 2000 lbs >>...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > Starting with a 3,200 lb sedan that normally gets about 25-30 mpg, how > many lbs of lead do you think it woul...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Lee Hart wrote: > Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> Starting with a 3,200 lb sedan that normally gets about 2...
>>> Starting with a 3,200 lb sedan that normally gets about 25-30 mpg, >>> how many lbs of lead do you think it would take to...
On Feb 20, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Lee Hart wrote: >>>> Starting with a 3,200 lb sedan that normally gets about 25-30 mpg, >>>...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > Lee, now I think I understand the why there's such a difference > between what The EV calculator says (30 batt...
Lee- I'm looking to buy a pack of 8VGC's in the next couple of months. Are the 8 volters you got from Sam's club the "Energizer" labe...
Phil Marino wrote: > Lee- > I'm looking to buy a pack of 8VGC's in the next couple of months. Are the 8 > volters you got from Sam's ...
Re: Batteries, Lees BMS for 6 or 8 volt batteries. – Hello Lee, In the following statement, you said, you have your BMS on the mix pack of 8 and 12 volts battery. Do you have the BMS system for...
Roland Wiench wrote: > Hello Lee, > > In the following statement, you said, you have your BMS on the mix > pack of 8 and 12 volts...
That's great that the BMS will charge that range of batteries, I may go back to the Exide Tudor 2 volt cells, or may use 30 US T-145's 6 volts o...
Lee, I thought that using the full ~1087 W-h would drop voltage (by definition) to 1.75 vpc i.e. fully discharged. For 20% SOC wouldn't that mean...
Frank John wrote: > Lee, I thought that using the full ~1087 W-h would drop voltage (by > definition) to 1.75 vpc i.e. fully discharged. ...
What confuses me is that the 244ah number is obtained at a certain discharge rate (between 5-20 hours per current T-145 specs.) I thought that in...
Frank John wrote: > What confuses me is that the 244ah number is obtained at a certain > discharge rate. I thought that increasing the di...
The 80%dod should be at the discharge rate you are using. So if you are discharging at 75A, then you have 181AH@100%dod as per the specs. So 80...
Roger, Of course you have put a thumb on the scale by comparing the recommendation of a very conservative and real-world sub-perfect things-t...
Isn't half the 20-hr. rate high? I thought general wisdom with floodies was that the higher discharge currents used by EV's resulted in 55-60% en...
Frank John wrote: > Isn't half the 20-hr. rate high? I thought general wisdom with > floodies was that the higher discharge currents used...
Actual battery capacity decreases as discharge current increases. A battery rated at 100 ampere-hours which can deliver 5 amperes for 20 hours, ...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Cor van de Water wrote: > > > Of course you have put a thumb on the scale > by comparing the recomm...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > Good point. I live in the Northeast US. Upstate NY. It gets cold > here. Another plus for lithium. It w...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Lee Hart wrote: > Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> Good point. I live in the Northeast US. Upstate NY. It...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > I was going to put them in an aluminum box mounted in the floor of the > trunk (where the spare tire and fue...
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Lee Hart <leeahart@...> wrote: > Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > > > I was going to put them in...
Blower is a good idea but your batteries may be unhappy the other (cold) half of the year. Build it and let us know how well it does. Succe...
That is 3 kWh difference at max, not the 7 kWh that you suggested and I have seen very little effect from carrying a lot of weight around if yo...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Cor van de Water wrote: > That is 3 kWh difference at max, not the 7 kWh > that you suggested and I have ...
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 03:30:30PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > > Once you are rolling at constant speed the extra weight makes only ...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Willie McKemie wrote: > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 03:30:30PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> >>...
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:37:58PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > > Willie, are you trying to say that weight doesn't mater due to &...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 6:13 PM, Willie McKemie <mckemie@...> wrote: > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 04:37:58PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrot...
My perspective as a non-engineer hobbyist is that lithium batteries have a lot of potential, but I can't even consider them right now. I want a...
EVDL Administrator wrote: > My perspective as a non-engineer hobbyist is that lithium batteries have a > lot of potential, but I can't ev...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:53 PM, EVDL Administrator wrote: > Thus, when you look at the cost and complexity of lithium systems > suited ...
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 01:06:28PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > Starting with a 3,200 lb sedan that normally gets about 25-30 mpg, how ...
On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Willie McKemie wrote: > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 01:06:28PM -0500, Roger Heuckeroth wrote: >> Starting ...
DeWalt's Warranty for their DC9360 36V Lithium pack is for 2,000 cycles. > I'm not aware of any > lithium pack that has achieved a 10...
Steven Ciciora wrote: > DeWalt's Warranty for their DC9360 36V Lithium pack is for 2,000 cycles. That's encouraging. I believe they use A12...
On 20/02/2009, at 4:16 AM, Lee Hart wrote: > Steven Ciciora wrote: >> DeWalt's Warranty for their DC9360 36V Lithium pack is for 2,00...
Lee Hart wrote: >> Has anyone actually *achieved* 2000 cycles from [a lithium pack], >> at some known current or depth of discharge?...
I think part of the problem is, if these cells really do get 2000 cycles to 80%dod, it will be quite some time before someone kills them by natur...
matt wrote: > I think part of the problem is, if these cells really do get 2000 cycles to > 80%dod, it will be quite some time before some...
Hi Lee, The cells are Thundersky LFP-40AHA cells, manufacture date 2nd Oct 2007. There were a few of us who did this mod around the same time,...
matt wrote: > Hi Lee, > > The cells are Thundersky LFP-40AHA cells, manufacture date 2nd Oct > 2007. There were a few of us who d...
Which brand/chemistry of Lithium? How many cycles were they "rated" for? Thanks, Thor -----Original Message----- From: ev-bou...
Hi Thor, The cells are thundersky, and are rated for 2000 cycles at 80%dod, and 3000 cycles at 70%dod The definition of end of service life ...
LiFePO4 and 2000 cycles to 80%. On Feb 20, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Thor Johnson wrote: > Which brand/chemistry of Lithium? > How many cycl...
On Feb 20, 2009, at 5:30 AM, matt wrote: > I think part of the problem is, if these cells really do get 2000 > cycles to > 80%do...
> My suspension doesn't work, so the vibration is constant (one of the > terminal bolts I have to re-tighten every couple of months) > ...
Battery Beach Burnout 2009 – Good news. Bad news Let me get the bad news out of the way first.The Electric Imp will not be running at Battery Beach Burnout this year. We ...
Probably the only truthful answer you will get with a varying mix of environments is: it depends. Just like lead-acid batteries - some murder th...
Cor van de Water wrote: > Probably the only truthful answer you will get with a varying mix of > environments is: it depends. Just like le...
>DeWalt's Warranty for their DC9360 36V Lithium pack is for 2,000 cycles. So at $134 and 85wh, the cost is still upwards of 1.5$/wh. When t...
> According to information I have read Lithiums are better at absorbing > short bursts of energy (typical of regen braking) than SLA, N...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > With Lithium you could get 2000-3000 cycles at 80% discharge. You > would need 60 - 40 Ah cells to give you t...
Rick, I'm working with a Chinese company (not Thundersky) about their packs that come fully integrated with BMS energy balancing systems. I...
Roger Heuckeroth wrote: > I'm working with a Chinese company (not Thundersky) about their packs > that come fully integrated with BMS en...
Lee wrote - > There are only a few examples of EVs with lithium batteries that are > real, drive-every-day vehicles that have accumulated ...
Rush wrote: > One of our members converted an S-10 and put Lithium batteries in it. He got > them from http://foxxpower.com/ Any idea ...
Well said as usual Lee. I haven't been on this list long and haven't even gotten started good with my project but I have done a LOT of reading ...
Lee and All, It's interesting that your calculations match the 500pounds-of-lead=one-gallon-of-gas rule: 60(mile range)/25(MPG)=2.4x500=1200 pou...
And here is a not so encouraging data point. I have a 300zx that I put 24 exide orbitals. These are 50ah at C20. So they only have about 24ah...
Jeff, I had the impression that you rpack was not so much old as well that it had a few bad cells, likely from a couplle times pulling it too...
Roger and All, I could get 60 miles with 24 T-145's in the extended cab S10 pickup along the relatively flat Front Range of Colorado at speeds o...
If I was doing a pickup, I would probably be going down that road, too. They lend themselves well to becoming lead sleds as far as room und...
Lee and All, This reminded me of our last trip to the Western Slope of Colorado, going over the Interstate 70 passes from the Front Range. On mor...
<<< My understanding is that full equalization charges are recommended on SLAs, also. Am I mistaken? If that be the case the top 80-10...
That is only true if the acceleration in both gears is the same. The lower gear is a slower acceleration and the lower motor amps and higher mo...
Buddy Mills @ Cox.net wrote: > I have determined that I want AGM > at a weight of ~ 40LB - 70LB. I am looking for 180 volts (12 volts X ...
I was just talking to our local battery supplier looking for some used 8v floodies. He told me he is replacing batteries in 200 golf carts for a...
When looking at 40-60AH lithiums I find that they will not supply the currnet, 400A+, I need for my direct drive system. 65AH AGMs provide this...
Agreed, however the AC24LS doesn't draw a lot of current. 60 x 60AH TS cells (192v nom, 180v under 1C load when pack is 15-20 deg C) will do 30...
The Lithiums (LiFEPO4 to be more specific) that go for the $1.50/Ah price are normally rated at 3C continuous and 5-10C Max. I was respondi...
On 19/02/2009, at 10:31 AM, Mark Eidson wrote: > When looking at 40-60AH lithiums I find that they will not supply the > currnet, 400A+,...
Steve, Remember that not all controllers are able to separate a lower battery current from the peak current needed for adequate performance fro...
Motor current is only equal to battery current just before going out of current limit. Motor current starts at the controller limit (400 amps)...
> So, if you have enough volts, you may never reach full batt amps. All > controllers > do that. > Depending on how good the fil...
Steve West wrote: > On 19/02/2009, at 10:31 AM, Mark Eidson wrote: > >> When looking at 40-60AH lithiums I find that they will not...
400amps is motor current. Battery current is proportional to power, not torque, so at startup if you have a high enough voltage, current will be ...