Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?

Mark Hanson-2

Hi,

I was curious which LiFePO4 battery is the best, TSky, CALB or HiPower.  I'm converting a Ghia about 36 cells 120Vdc system, probably use my shunt regulators with charger control to reduce current when the first shunt starts activating at 3.8V (to 1A).  I've heard that 3.8V is the best for max cell voltage on a T-Sky 160 - 200ah battery but some show 4.2Vpc.  Which is best fiinal clamp voltage.  I'll wire the 2.5V min cell voltage to a jumbo led on the dash so I'll pull over & stop if any one cell hits 2.5V.

Best regards,
mark
www.reevadiy.org

Re: Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?

Rush Dougherty
Have you checked out the Lithium at www.Elitepowersolutions.com? They have a battery with a new
configuration, Neg at one end and Pos at the other, less internal resistance to feed the terminals.
Supposedly a 10% increase in power, but I would think that problems would arise with configuring the
battery pack connections and a BMS.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

> I was curious which LiFePO4 battery is the best, TSky, CALB or HiPower.  I'm converting a Ghia
> about 36 cells 120Vdc system, probably use my shunt regulators with charger control to reduce
> current when the first shunt starts activating at 3.8V (to 1A).  I've heard that 3.8V is the best
> for max cell voltage on a T-Sky 160 - 200ah battery but some show 4.2Vpc.  Which is best fiinal
> clamp voltage.  I'll wire the 2.5V min cell voltage to a jumbo led on the dash so I'll pull over &
> stop if any one cell hits 2.5V.
>
> Best regards,
> mark
> www.reevadiy.org

Re: Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?

AMPhibian
CALB recommends 3.6V max, so if you want to use 3.8V shunts that's not going to work.  TS can go higher to 4.0 but there is no good reason to go above 3.8V, they last longer under charged.  CALB seems to have closer cell matching which is helpful, more capacity per rating, and has a slightly flatter discharge curve.  TS claims higher cycle numbers.

Re: Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?

KilowattA798
In a message dated 5/6/2011 7:21:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:
> Subj:Re: [EVDL] Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?
> Date:5/6/2011 7:21:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time
> From:[hidden email]
> Reply-to:[hidden email]
> To:[hidden email]
> Received from Internet:

Hi All,
I just picked up 4 100AH GBS cells this week to bench test. I have run 3
back to back load test for a duration of 14 seconds. With a 1018 amp draw the
voltage falls to 9.87 volts. Very little heat gain. Not a Nedra record type
battery BUT a really good Bracket race battery, and maybe a 100 mile range.
I will put a 110 cell pack together this summer for bracket racing in Vegas
at Thanksgiving for 4 days of Big Bucks races($25000/day).They could pay for
themselves quickly.

For sure ck.out Elite Power.................Dennis Berube

> Have you checked out the Lithium at www.Elitepowersolutions.com? They have
> a battery with a new
> configuration, Neg at one end and Pos at the other, less internal
> resistance to feed the terminals.
> Supposedly a 10% increase in power, but I would think that problems would
> arise with configuring the
> battery pack connections and a BMS.
>
> Rush
> www.TucsonEV.com

Mike Nickerson
I don't have full data to back this up, but I believe the ThunderSky is also
the lowest current density.  For the same size cells, you can get more
current out of the other cells.  This tends to limit the amount of current
you can pull from the batteries, unless you're running parallel chains or
running larger cells.

Mike

Re: Best LiFePO4, Tsky, CALB or HiPower?

Chip Gribben
Hey Dennis,

Jo Reyes, who owns the Green Commuter Bicycle Shop is using the Elite Batteries in the 72 volt AC Powered Extreme Bug-E for the FunRunInTheSun Cross Country Tour

We don't have photos up yet on the website yet but the batteries are installed in the Bug-E.

http://www.funruninthesun.org/photo_gallery.html

I'm using the old lead batteries that came out of the Extreme Bug-E project for our dragster but we may be using the Elite Batteries next.

We should have the Bug-E at the Power of DC.

Some other guys in our EV club are also considering using them and Jo is our local dealer.

Chip