Big, Honking Electric Snowblower: Feasible?

Big, Honking Electric Snowblower: Feasible?

We get lots of snow where I live.  I'm often clearing a foot or more of snow using a 10.5 hp, 30-inch wide, 24-inch tall unit.  I've recently been offered a similar unit with a blown engine, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to make it electric.  It seems that battery electric snowblowers on the market only go up to 21-inch width and low horsepower, so really not big enough for my needs.

So I guess I'm asking a few things:
        1)  Is this even a feasible project
        2)  If so, anyone have suggestions on how to proceed (for example, shunt motor vs. series motor, etc.)
        3)  Any pitfalls I need to look out for (for example, the gasoline blower has a governor on the engine--do I need something similar)
        4)  Anything else I'm not thinking of

Thanks,

Bill

DIY: Big, 30+" Electric Snowblower project

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
Qualifier: being in Silicon Valley, CA (in July), please forgive my lack of living-with-snow experience
(when I was a boy, it only snowed once in Sunnyvale, and it was so light/small an amount, it took all the snow gathered from a whole blocks worth of front lawns to make a smallish snowman. It was all melted by the afternoon. -We may not have snow, but we sure have a lot of greedy landlords raising the rent/cost of living here- ).

Looking at the evdl nabble archive
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=snow
 shows a DIY e-snowplough

A search on  evalbum snow
https://www.google.com/search?q=evalbum+snow&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
 gives

Doctorbass' 2014 19hp Electric Lithium Snowblowe - EV Album
www.evalbum.com/4844
Feb 6, 2014 - Watt Hours/Mile, It require alot less energy than i tought! At full load with 15 inched thick of wet and compact snow it draw max of 5.5kW fully

Joe Lorenzi's Walk-Behind Snow Blower - EV Album
www.evalbum.com/3628
Battery Powered 726E Snow Blower “John Deere 726E Snow Blower”. Engine and Battery Mounted to Frame. Last Updated 07-27-2015. Engine and Battery ...

Electric Snowblower - EV Album
www.evalbum.com/2166
Dec 6, 2008 - I haven't tried it yet, since we don't have any snow yet. ... is comparable to an 8hp gas engine. it tears through snow like its no one's business.

Charles Thibault's Eaton Snow Blower - EV Album
www.evalbum.com/2612
May 6, 2009 - Eaton Snow Blower. Motor, Morpower Electric Motor 1- or 2-Phase AC Motor find on ebay 5.5 Hp, 3450 RPM, Single Phase Motor is Reversible

John Gislason's John Deere 826 - EV Album
www.evalbum.com/758
Jun 3, 2012 - Converted JD 826 (8 hp, 26") two-stage snow blower. Motor, HDN56MRB34D51 1- or 2-Phase AC 5 HP, 240V, 15A (5.1KW) "compressor duty" ...

Other links to explore are:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/evdl-electric-snowblower-54836.html
[EVDL] electric snowblower - DIY Electric Car Forums
Jan 31, 2011 - Just saw this (electric snowblower) on the evalbum. It looks awesome! ... self-propelled snow blower could handle several batteries I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gRz0PsBOQ
John Deere Electric-Converted Snow Blower 726E - ▶ 0:20
Feb 18, 2011 - Uploaded by DietDewTime ... You can find more information on this conversion at: http ...

http://www.elec-trak.com/forum/showthread.php?5738-E20-Elec-Trak-with-40-quot-Berco-2-stage-Snow-Blower
E20 Elec Trak with 40" Berco 2 stage Snow Blower - Elec-Trak.com
Dec 13, 2016 - I've posted a video on you tube after clearing the snow this morning ... 12/12/2016 Its overly long ... Ont. Canada http://www.evalbum.com/3985

http://www.mytractorforum.com/193-electric-alternative-powered-machinery/102904-electric-snow-blower-conversion.html
Electric snow blower conversion? - MyTractorForum.com - The ...
Nov 16, 2009 - I was given a 20" two stage snow blower (I have never seen one that ... better than the gas engine ever was. http://www.evalbum.com/2166.

Let the evdl know how your project progresses and take lots of pics, so you can upload them to a (free)  evalbum.com page documenting it.

I thank the creators and maintainers of EValbum, that made all that EV information possible. It is an invaluable EV resource in so many, many ways :-)

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

Re: Big, Honking Electric Snowblower: Feasible?

1) There are several people who have made electric snow blower
conversions, check out the evalbum. There are also a few commercial
offerings (e.g. EGO snowblower
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-Single-Stage-Electric-Snow-Blower-with-2-5-0Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-Included-SNT2102/207099229
)

2) Buy the cheapest motor/controller you can find. Probably a brushed DC
motor with simple PWM controller if buying new, but on the used/surplus
market you may get something trickier. You can probably aim for a 7HP /
5,000 watt motor instead of a 10 HP motor, as the electric motor should
have more torque.

3/4) Wait for people who have done it to chime in.

Jay

 From your description of snow/current unit, I'm assuming the EGO unit
(21") may not be large enough for you, or if it is, you may need to buy
2x or 3x the number of batteries to get enough runtime. But do keep in
mind that the commercial offering starts at $600, so that's your lower
budget number. Unless you are sourcing used/surplus motors and have a
free battery supplier, I think it will be hard for you to do this
project for under $1,000.

On 07/08/2017 02:04 PM, Bill Dennis via EV wrote:

> We get lots of snow where I live.  I'm often clearing a foot or more of snow using a 10.5 hp, 30-inch wide, 24-inch tall unit.  I've recently been offered a similar unit with a blown engine, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to make it electric.  It seems that battery electric snowblowers on the market only go up to 21-inch width and low horsepower, so really not big enough for my needs.
>
> So I guess I'm asking a few things:
> 1)  Is this even a feasible project
> 2)  If so, anyone have suggestions on how to proceed (for example, shunt motor vs. series motor, etc.)
> 3)  Any pitfalls I need to look out for (for example, the gasoline blower has a governor on the engine--do I need something similar)
> 4)  Anything else I'm not thinking of
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Re: Big, Honking Electric Snowblower: Feasible?

It's quite feasible, though the weight may be appreciable.

You don't even have to convert if you don't want to.  The GE Elec-trak lawn
tractors built in the 1970s were sold with snow thrower attachments as an
option, and many are still around.  The snow thrower for the large-frame
E12, E15, and E20 is 42" wide.  There was a 36" thrower for the smaller E10
tractor, but I don't think many were built and sold, so you're not too apt
to find one.

ETs have their weaknesses, but somewhere between hundreds and thousands are
still mowing, lifting, hauling, tilling, sweeping, bulldozing, and moving
snow.  They're pretty solid machines.

ETs show up on Ebay from time to time, and members of the ET email
discussion list (see below) sometimes offer machines for sale.  You should
be able to get an E15 (probably the most common type) in usable shape,
possibly including a front mount mower deck but maybe needing batteries, for
under $500. I've even seen a few rough ones given away.

Expect to pay another hundred or two for a decent snow thrower.

You might want to consider joining the Elec-Trak email discussion list.

Jay wrote:
> Buy the cheapest motor/controller you can find.

In this link that Bruce sent:

        http://www.evalbum.com/3628

the guy is using a Manta brushed DC motor, with *no controller*, which seems
about the cheapest controller you can get.  Is it considered okay to hit a
brushed DC motor with full 36V like that at startup?

Thanks all,

Bill

Re: DIY: Big, 30+" Electric Snowblower project

Hey Bruce

Somehow my SnowPIG doesn't show up in the list when Snow is searched...

http://www.evalbum.com/4544

On it's 5th season of brutal Eastern Canada winters. Despite burned up
brushes, controllers and the odd fuse and smoked wire, we are still ahead
of paying for a truck with a plow.  There is nothing like the feeling of
initial fear and then accomplishment when your small EV project is the sole
vehicle that will break through 30+ inches of snow on a 400' of bumpy,
hilly dirt road and it gets the job done.   Be sure to use a belt as it's
like a fuse when rocks lock up the second stage auger and keep an eye on
motor temps, snow machines tend to move slowly and snow can be a great
insulator.

Good luck!

Dan