Brake Vacuum Pump question

shred
Has anyone tried one of these vacuum pumps for a brake vacuum booster?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/VacuumPump/Ford/Excursion/1AEVP00008/358654

I’ve heard the volume they produce is not enough.
I have a tank in my system.
My pump gave up the ghost last week.
Prices for a comparable EV pump is around 250.00
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Brake Vacuum Pump question

John Lussmyer
On 4/30/2010 9:02 AM, shred wrote:

> Has anyone tried one of these vacuum pumps for a brake vacuum booster?
>
> http://www.1aauto.com/1A/VacuumPump/Ford/Excursion/1AEVP00008/358654
>
> I’ve heard the volume they produce is not enough.
> I have a tank in my system.
> My pump gave up the ghost last week.
> Prices for a comparable EV pump is around 250.00
> Any help would be appreciated.

I tried one.  It's really not enough.  It would take a minute or more to
pump down my reservoir, and I could stop about twice on that.
In any kind of stop and go traffic, it's completely inadequate.
I ended up buying one of the Ultra-Quiet pumps from EV Components.  It's
definitely a lot quieter than most the others I've heard.

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: Brake Vacuum Pump question

shred
Thanks John,
My old pump was very close to this model.
I can get it for about 175.00 with a pressure switch and shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thomas-Industrial-Diaphragm-Vacuum-Pump-12-Volt-UNUSED-/350345237814?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item5192341536
It was loud and had a lot of vibration.
Did you find the low volume I mentioned before to be much quieter with less vibration?
I live out in the country and drive mostly 2 lane hwy with a stop light maybe every 3-5 miles.

Re: Brake Vacuum Pump question

John Lussmyer
The little pump from your original post was quite quiet, but completely
inadequate.
The pump in this Ebay auction looks better, but seeing as it only draws
8A, it'll likely take a significant amount of time to pump down your system.
The expensive pump I have has a 75A fuse, and easily draws 40A or so
while pumping.