Bright Way vs. Universal Power Group

Hi, all.  I'm trying to replace the UB121350 AGM batteries that I have
in my Electric Ox.  I ordered new ones from Wholesale Batteries Direct,
but they are out and Universal Power Group is out at the warehouse also.
They recommended that I get the Bright Way Group BW EV12-155A instead,
for a few dollars more.  Anyone have any experience with Bright Way?  I
have had good experience with Universal Power, and know nothing about
Bright Way.  The specs on their battery claim 1000 cycles to 50% DOD,
which is pretty impressive for AGM, though that is not so important in a
lawn tractor that you don't use every day.  They claim 10 year calendar
life, also quite impressive and more relevant to me.

                                        Ken

Re: Bright Way vs. Universal Power Group

I don't know the batteries you posted, so I can't directly answer your
question.

The evdl archive shows[
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=413529&query=ken+olum
] you have asked about batteries for your 48V (6 group 24 8V batteries)
tractor [ox
http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/~kdo/electricox/review.html
]

Agm do not cycle (or last) as long as wet cell. An 8V wet cell would give
you the cycle life you seek (or change over to li-ion).

Though Interstate is not the best battery [
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/high-cycle
], there is a distributor near you [
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/location-finder?search=02067&dealerservices=&dealertypes=&producttypes=&sku=GC8-HCL-UTL
]. I also found

Ken Olum via EV wrote:

> Hi, all.  I'm trying to replace the UB121350 AGM batteries that I have
> in my Electric Ox.  I ordered new ones from Wholesale Batteries Direct,
> but they are out and Universal Power Group is out at the warehouse also.
> They recommended that I get the Bright Way Group BW EV12-155A instead,
> for a few dollars more.  Anyone have any experience with Bright Way?  I
> have had good experience with Universal Power, and know nothing about
> Bright Way.  The specs on their battery claim 1000 cycles to 50% DOD,
> which is pretty impressive for AGM, though that is not so important in a
> lawn tractor that you don't use every day.  They claim 10 year calendar
> life, also quite impressive and more relevant to me.

I have no experience or knowledge about Bright Way batteries. But
suspicious old me says that 1000 cycles from an AGM is an extreme claim.
Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Where's their proof?

You may want to check to see if Bright Way is just some outfit that buys
nameless batteries in China and slaps their own labels on them. In that
case, they could be anything. They know darned well that you can't
verify their claims until after they have disappeared with your money.

--
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move

Re: Bright Way vs. Universal Power Group

   From: Lee Hart <[hidden email]>
   Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:56:12 -0600

   You may want to check to see if Bright Way is just some outfit that buys
   nameless batteries in China and slaps their own labels on them.

How would I find out for sure?

   From: brucedp5 <[hidden email]>
   Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 20:35:21 -0600 (CST)

   The evdl archive shows you have asked about batteries for your 48V (6
   group 24 8V batteries).

That was the original configuration, but I went to 4 12V AGM instead.
I've lived plenty of my life with flooded batteries and I would not want
to go back to them.  I especially didn't like the acid mist.

In truth I don't care that much about cycle life -- mostly about
calendar life.  I have had my UB AGMs for 10 years.  They are down
to maybe 25% of their original capacity, but still usable if you don't
mind charging often.

On 19 Feb 2019 at 19:43, Ken Olum via EV wrote:

>    You may want to check to see if Bright Way is just some outfit that buys
>    nameless batteries in China and slaps their own labels on them.
>
> How would I find out for sure?

Just the "Bright Way" name itself has that aura about it.  :-(

In fact, check this page:

https://www.amazon.com/Brightway-Sealed-Replacement-Rechargeable-
Battery/dp/B07L6RK333

or  https://v.gd/WaRhAR

The battery in the photo does indeed say "Made in China" on it.

I couldn't find much else about them.  But here's a forum thread discussing
Bright Way (or Brightway, I've seen it both ways) batteries:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?261445-NuMotion-and-Brightway-
batteries

or https://v.gd/yAhw3w

It gives a website for the batteries -- http://www.bwgllc.com

I don't see anything there about a warranty.

If you can live with lower capacity, youi might consider East Penn Deka
Intimidators in type 8A31DTM.  These are group 31 AGM batteries made in the
USA.