CNC heads-up

Mark Grasser
To EVeryone looking for adapter plates and other tooled aluminum pieces. I
am midway through constructing a CNC machine to do parts for my many
projects along with a new business venture that has been almost forced on
me. As a spin off I am offering to do precision one offs for those who would
be interested. I anticipate having the machine running by the end of
January. In anticipation of a learning curve I will be doing pieces for next
to cost for a while  just to understand how to make it work properly. The X
Y Z cutting dimensions are looking to come out to about 60 x 40 x 18 inches.
In addition to doing aluminum pieces I am also hoping  to be able to do
plugs for molds to do the fairings and rear cover to my bike. (It is a
trike). If you can wait till the end of January and you can supply me with
good drawings please leave me an email and I will line you up.

Mark Grasser

Re: CNC heads-up

David Dymaxion
Machining is great fun, it sounds like you bought a neat piece of equipment. Some questions/ideas:

    * I assume you can do mild steel as well as Aluminum?
    * Will you be able to accept any of the standard CAD files or emachineshop files and work electronically? That could save you alot of programming time.
    * You could rig up a hot wire near your xy table, and use the CNC to do precise hot wire cuts of foam -- this could make for some really nice and left/right symmetric molds

Re: CNC heads-up

Dan Frederiksen-2
Sounds interesting Mark. do you think you could make a quality product?
and what do you imagine the experimental cost would be? of a plate for
instance

Dan

Mark Grasser wrote:

> To EVeryone looking for adapter plates and other tooled aluminum pieces. I
> am midway through constructing a CNC machine to do parts for my many
> projects along with a new business venture that has been almost forced on
> me. As a spin off I am offering to do precision one offs for those who would
> be interested. I anticipate having the machine running by the end of
> January. In anticipation of a learning curve I will be doing pieces for next
> to cost for a while  just to understand how to make it work properly. The X
> Y Z cutting dimensions are looking to come out to about 60 x 40 x 18 inches.
> In addition to doing aluminum pieces I am also hoping  to be able to do
> plugs for molds to do the fairings and rear cover to my bike. (It is a
> trike). If you can wait till the end of January and you can supply me with
> good drawings please leave me an email and I will line you up.
>

> Mark Grasser

Re: CNC heads-up

Mark Grasser
Message: 29
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:24:53 +0100
From: Dan Frederiksen <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] CNC heads-up
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <[hidden email]>

I've never done anything less then perfect, well ok, I try to make things
perfect. So yes, I will be making quality product. The experimental costs?
As long as I don't lose money on material, tools and electricity on the
first few, maybe enough profit to buy a sandwich and a beer while I watch it
work, I'll be ok. Send me a drawing to quote.
Mark Grasser

Mark Grasser wrote:
> To EVeryone looking for adapter plates and other tooled aluminum pieces. I
> am midway through constructing a CNC machine to do parts for my many
> projects along with a new business venture that has been almost forced on
> me. As a spin off I am offering to do precision one offs for those who
would
> be interested. I anticipate having the machine running by the end of
> January. In anticipation of a learning curve I will be doing pieces for
next
> to cost for a while  just to understand how to make it work properly. The
> Y Z cutting dimensions are looking to come out to about 60 x 40 x 18
inches.

> In addition to doing aluminum pieces I am also hoping  to be able to do
> plugs for molds to do the fairings and rear cover to my bike. (It is a
> trike). If you can wait till the end of January and you can supply me with
> good drawings please leave me an email and I will line you up.
>

> Mark Grasser

Re: CNC heads-up

Dan Frederiksen-2
Mark Grasser wrote:
> I've never done anything less then perfect, well ok, I try to make things
> perfect. So yes, I will be making quality product. The experimental costs?
> As long as I don't lose money on material, tools and electricity on the
> first few, maybe enough profit to buy a sandwich and a beer while I watch it
> work, I'll be ok. Send me a drawing to quote.
> Mark Grasser

I like that attitude :)
I'm gathering data on motors and haven't found a scrap tranny I can
measure on so I'm not yet at the drawing stage but if I bitch slap my
procrastination I might be ready when your machine is. these adapter
plates are often made from thick alu plate. do you have that available?
do you have lathe and such for making axle coupling too?

you wouldn't happen to be into casting too?

Dan