CNN: An electric car for the common man

Richard Acuti
An interesting read:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/autos/electric_car/index.htm?cnn=yes

Rich A.

Re: CNN: An electric car for the common man

Timothy Balcer
Yep. The issue is, as always, going to be quality and dependability. A
chinese company submitted their first auto to the EU for crash testing
and it didn't just fail, it failed spectacularly.

http://tinyurl.com/2vhy2h

So we shall see..

--T

On 8/13/07, Richard Acuti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An interesting read:
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/autos/electric_car/index.htm?cnn=yes
>
> Rich A.

Re: CNN: An electric car for the common man

Jukka Järvinen
Actually .. guys.. NCAP tests are quite accurately specified.

For example. If a car can get 4 stars on a NCAP when it's say German
left hand driven. And it's changed by OEM to left hand drive (UK) it
might get only one star. But still be just as safe car.

So the Chinese cars might fail on a particular crash test but by other
standards it might be the best there is. (not... seriously ..I do not
believe this will happen)

Of course if the Chinese are coming to EU markets they need to comply on
agreed standards. Chinese are not member of the good fellow club and
they are kept out from markets as efficiently as possible. By EU
manufacturers.

I would compare same thing with some electrical appliances. Say a
charger which is not isolated from batteries to AC input. In here I
cannot sell them or even use. If I do all problems are on me legally. In
some other countries this is not regarded as "risk". The standard is
that they need to be isolated nowadays.

Or how killing innocent people in factories by not using protective
clothing just to make more profits... In some countries it might be a
"standard procedure" but in here I would get 2 years of electric chair
(DC) ...(kidding.. no death penalties here. But surely would be fined
and jailed for good..)

Chinese are coming but after few news how the factories operate makes us
vote with our feets. (but are we already looking away ?? As have been
done years already)

-Jukka

Timothy Balcer kirjoitti:

> Yep. The issue is, as always, going to be quality and dependability. A
> chinese company submitted their first auto to the EU for crash testing
> and it didn't just fail, it failed spectacularly.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vhy2h
>
> So we shall see..
>
> --T
>
> On 8/13/07, Richard Acuti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> An interesting read:
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/autos/electric_car/index.htm?cnn=yes
>>
>> Rich A.

Re: CNN: An electric car for the common man

Tony Hwang
BTW a little OT, but I was looking at other crash videos on youtube, and this car's passenger compartment shows no damage! I was pretty amazed. It's composite, I believe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPq760LC00

Timothy Balcer kirjoitti:

> Yep. The issue is, as always, going to be quality and dependability. A
> chinese company submitted their first auto to the EU for crash testing
> and it didn't just fail, it failed spectacularly.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vhy2h
>
> So we shall see..
>
> --T
>
> On 8/13/07, Richard Acuti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> An interesting read:
>>
>> http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/autos/electric_car/index.htm?cnn=yes
>>
>> Rich A.

Re: CNN: An electric car for the common man

Bruce Weisenberger
What I find interesting is that these guys keep saying
the Automakers sold EV's. To my knowledge none of the
EV's from the Automakers was publicly sold. Only
leased and mostly to city utilities. And most were
crush or destroy when their class Action Lawsuit
forced California to change it laws.

--- Richard Acuti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> An interesting read:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/13/autos/electric_car/index.htm?cnn=yes

> Rich A.

Re: CNN: An electric car for the common man

Dan Frederiksen-2
Cool
the battery company lishen's site:
http://www.lishen.com.cn/

3.7V cells. cobalt?

their vehicle cells:
http://www.lishen.com.cn/lishenen/cpsz/1e.aspx?classid=6&Nclassid=10
specific energy ~130Wh/kg which is good if true
less than 2C...is not so good. but a 120mile pack is large so it should
have enough power for normal driving
500 cycle life..  that's gonna be a problem

if these cells are the ones being used.

Dan