California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

https://insideevs.com/news/382176/california-amends-cvrp-rebate-program/

This new round of incentives favors hydrogen with double the money.  This is a horrible waste.  If you live in California please contact your assemblyman/senator/govenor and lt. govenor. Maybe mention the hype about hydrogen or other educational articles refuting hydrogen.  Our legislators must be educated. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

Actually, it *doesn't* favor hydrogen, it just moves it closer to a level playing field.

Interesting that there are some that want to attack a zero emission technology, and are silent about the incentives to continue the subsidies to ICE hybrids, hybrids that data indicates that don’t usually operate in electric mode.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://insideevs.com/news/382176/california-amends-cvrp-rebate-program/
>
> This new round of incentives favors hydrogen with double the money.  This is a horrible waste.  If you live in California please contact your assemblyman/senator/govenor and lt. govenor. Maybe mention the hype about hydrogen or other educational articles refuting hydrogen.  Our legislators must be educated. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

Hydrogen is made from oil. It’s far from zero emissions.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, it *doesn't* favor hydrogen, it just moves it closer to a level playing field.
>
> Interesting that there are some that want to attack a zero emission technology, and are silent about the incentives to continue the subsidies to ICE hybrids, hybrids that data indicates that don’t usually operate in electric mode.
>
> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
>> On Nov 30, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> https://insideevs.com/news/382176/california-amends-cvrp-rebate-program/
>>
>> This new round of incentives favors hydrogen with double the money.  This is a horrible waste.  If you live in California please contact your assemblyman/senator/govenor and lt. govenor. Maybe mention the hype about hydrogen or other educational articles refuting hydrogen.  Our legislators must be educated. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

Correction..... Hydrogen is primarily made steam reforming natural gas but same result. Not clean.

Methane reacts with steam under 3–25 bar pressure in the presence of a catalyst to produce hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide. For steam reforming to proceed, heat must be supplied to the process. In a separate reactor vessel, the carbon monoxide and steam are reacted using a catalyst to produce carbon dioxide and more hydrogen. In a final process step called "pressure-swing adsorption," carbon dioxide and other impurities are removed from the gas stream, leaving essentially pure hydrogen. Steam reforming can also be used to produce hydrogen from other fuels, such as coal and oil products.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, it *doesn't* favor hydrogen, it just moves it closer to a level playing field.
>
> Interesting that there are some that want to attack a zero emission technology, and are silent about the incentives to continue the subsidies to ICE hybrids, hybrids that data indicates that don’t usually operate in electric mode.
>
> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
>> On Nov 30, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> https://insideevs.com/news/382176/california-amends-cvrp-rebate-program/
>>
>> This new round of incentives favors hydrogen with double the money.  This is a horrible waste.  If you live in California please contact your assemblyman/senator/govenor and lt. govenor. Maybe mention the hype about hydrogen or other educational articles refuting hydrogen.  Our legislators must be educated. Lawrence Rhodes

Re: California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

 Hydrogen is a distraction from battery electric vehicles. They are half as efficient. The fuelling stations are costly. The fuel is more expensive and a fossil fuel. When you have Tesla with a national refueling system which BTW has been paid for already why are hydrogen vehicles needed? Tesla's are less costly to purchase than the FCV currently available. All hydrogen vehicles should be banned, converted to batteries or destroyed like the EV1 so taxpayers don't have to pay for the hydrogen boondoggle. Lawrence Rhodes

On 11/30/19 5:49 PM, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:
>   Hydrogen is a distraction from battery electric vehicles. They are half as efficient. The fuelling stations are costly. The fuel is more expensive and a fossil fuel. When you have Tesla with a national refueling system which BTW has been paid for already why are hydrogen vehicles needed? Tesla's are less costly to purchase than the FCV currently available. All hydrogen vehicles should be banned, converted to batteries or destroyed like the EV1 so taxpayers don't have to pay for the hydrogen boondoggle. Lawrence Rhodes

Well put, Lawrence!  Tesla puts other charge networks in the shade with
almost no prospect of others catching up.  Done, AFAIK, with no subsidy.
  All the while offering to share the network with others.  With no
takers.

On this list, it sometimes seems Tesla does not get the love they deserve.

Re: California’s Clean Vehicle Rebate Program

If you want to make that argument, NO technology is zero emission.

Hydrogen *can* be made from natural gas, as well as other things - no different than the electricity on the grid.