Canada to get a national $5000 EV rebate- but only for very low priced/equipped EVs

Canada to get a national $5000 EV rebate- but only for very low priced/equipped EVs

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/19/news/budget-proposes-rebates-electric-cars-voluntary-sales-mandate?fbclid=IwAR0OIQlMFCx5AfiV7UuMqv9NidtSyAjKQB0gACHe28RaDu04dBoVSA2xpmY

I think it is great that it is finally coming, but the announcement is
bittersweet.  After looking for what new EVs are for sale in Canada, only a
couple cars can be had for under the $45,000 CAD credit limit:

Hyundai Ioniq EV
Nissan leaf, base model

The cheapest Tesla, the Model 3 base in Black with no Autopilot is 47,500
CAD.  A base model Chevrolet Bolt is $46,500 with destination charge.  The
article states that the government will start with voluntary mandates for a
percentage of EV/ ICE equipped vehicle sales.  How can this possibly work
if only a very small percentage of BEVs apply?  Plug in Hybrids like the
Honda Clarity would be under 45k but no details yet on whether PHEVs will
qualify.   Clearly in order to make a dent in EV to ICE sales ratios the
rebate should be applicable to the largest market segment - the
SUV/cross-over.  But the Hyundai Kona EV and the upcoming Tesla Model Y
don't/will not qualify under the 45k limit.

Perhaps EV prices will drop, the cap limit will change, or the government
will pool EV sales together to reduce costs like drugs under our health
care plan :-)   But lately the Canadian dollar has been losing steam
against the American dollar so prices will likely only increase and even
less EVs will be applicable for the credit.

Re: Canada to get a national $5000 EV rebate- but only for very low priced/equipped EVs

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 1:37 PM, Dan Baker via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/19/news/budget-proposes-rebates-electric-cars-voluntary-sales-mandate?fbclid=IwAR0OIQlMFCx5AfiV7UuMqv9NidtSyAjKQB0gACHe28RaDu04dBoVSA2xpmY
>
> I think it is great that it is finally coming, but the announcement is
> bittersweet.  After looking for what new EVs are for sale in Canada, only a
> couple cars can be had for under the $45,000 CAD credit limit:
>
> Hyundai Ioniq EV
> Nissan leaf, base model

It might be aimed more at Canadian-built EVs, which tend to be less expensive:

Electra Meccanica Solo
CanEV Might-E
There might be some carve-out that would disqualify Motrec stuff, if it’s not licensed for use on the roads.

                                -Bill

Re: Canada to get a national $5000 EV rebate- but only for very low priced/equipped EVs

As much I would love to see more Canadian made EVs, a one person car or a
mini-truck that has a 25mph top speed probably isn't going to appeal to
most of the masses.  Anyone want to work with me and see if we can revive
and build an Electric Bricklin? :-)
If the credit applies to 2 wheels, an electric motorcycle might be in my
future :-)