Chance to get your views in a Magazine

John Wayland
Hello to All,

The EV drag racing PR blitz is still rolling, this one to hit the stands
in late February as a March/April issue. In contrast to some of the
other major media we've been fortunate enough to be covered by (Car and
Driver, Wall Street Journal, New York Times), this time it's strictly a
Pacific Northwest magazine, but it's a very high quality 'coffee table'
type. It's the type of magazine that you little rally, leave out on your
coffee table to look at and read through, with great color images and a
hefty weight to it when you pick it up. It is circulated mostly in the
Oregon-Washington-Idaho Pacific Northwest region.

The writer, Annika Wallendahl (http://www.ioliteedge.com/), seems to be
very accurate in her details, going from the research I've done on her.
We have been in contact exchanging emails back and forth for several
months now, and she and the magazine's editor are really excited about
this feature story on the Pacific Northwest's EV Ampheads and the
electric cars we build-up and drag race against the gassers. These folks
are using Carol Brown's outstanding drag car photography too, so the
images should be wonderful! Carol Brown's photos can be seen at the
Plasma Boy Web page section 'White Zombie History', one of her best can
be viewed here:

 http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/reviews.php#2007e

Anyway...I've recently been asked more questions, and as I started to
write my answers, I realized it might be more interesting to put her
questions out here on the EVDL for my fellow electric drag racers,
friends of racers, and fans of electric drag racers to be part of. If
you take part, please simply post your views and answers to these
questions on this open forum for all to see, by simply responding to
this thread I've opened up. That way, even if your comments don't make
it into the magazine, at least the rest of us here will get to read
them. Since this magazine is slanted in favor of our geographic
location, I would imagine comments posted by those who have attended
races in our area might have a better chance of being reprinted in the
magazine, but I could be wrong about this, too. As always whenever
dealing with the press, I do not have any final say in what will be used
or who will be credited for what comments. All I can do is submit what I
get back to her. I too, will be answering the questions, and it might
just be that they will only be interested in 'my' comments, but you
never know. Sounds like fun, huh? OK, here goes:

All questions submitted by Annika Wallendahl, as discussed between her
and the magazine's editor as final follow-up questions:

Here are my follow-up questions. Not surprisingly, my editor asked me to
round out the story with more people-interest to go with the stats and
technology.

1. How do most people get involved with EV racing? Is it through initial
interest in the environment? Or is it the cutting-edge technology aspect?

2. What's the allure of electric cars for you?

3. What's the toughest aspect of EV racing? Is it raising funds and
getting sponsors? Is it finding the time to work on the vehicles (would
you say most EV racers have a day-job too)? Something else?

4. What are the rewards? Is it technological - as in being able to push
a bunch of metal to the absolute limit? Or is it environmental - helping
further alternative fuels and bettering the environment?

5. What keeps you coming back for more?

6. Is the EV community a tight-knit bunch? Do people pitch in to help
with other drivers with their vehicles - or is it super competitive?

Re: Chance to get your views in a Magazine

Ryan Stotts
John Wayland wrote:

> Hello to All,

Can you speak yet of your lithium endeavors or what's currently in the
works?  Looking over your web page; it's amazing how many different
battery packs you've had over the years.  That car has a LOT of
history to it.

Re: Chance to get your views in a Magazine

Michael Kadie

1. How do most people get involved with EV racing? Is it through initial
interest in the environment? Or is it the cutting-edge technology aspect?
I built my dream car a classic American Muscle car (kit reproduction) with
insane torque and acceleration.  For me part of it is green and part of it
was I literally built my dream car in 1000 easy steps :)

2. What's the allure of electric cars for you?
Complete control, insane acceleration, 2 cents per mile.

3. What's the toughest aspect of EV racing? Is it raising funds and
getting sponsors? Is it finding the time to work on the vehicles (would
you say most EV racers have a day-job too)? Something else?
Most of us are doing it out of our own pockets, so it is a matter of time
and money.

4. What are the rewards? Is it technological - as in being able to push
a bunch of metal to the absolute limit? Or is it environmental - helping
further alternative fuels and bettering the environment?
I beat a supercharged GTO drag racing at 65% power and I haven't tuned the
car yet.  I was able to design and build a world record setting vehicle, and
I absolutely crush the street racers in my street legal car with clean air
passes.  My car, at 65% un-tuned, is 3/10 second faster than the nitrous
charged police pursuit cars in the 1/8 mile.  The environmental benefit is
great, and makes me feel good, but it is about the car.

5. What keeps you coming back for more?
It is so fun to feel that much power under your complete control.  I'm
driving a v6 Mustang while we wait for parts to convert it (and my car is
down for maintenance) and it feels like such a dog compared to what I'm used
to in my cobra.

6. Is the EV community a tight-knit bunch? Do people pitch in to help
with other drivers with their vehicles - or is it super competitive?
We talk the super competitive smack, but we are all there helping to get the
cars ready for the race.  I have given my arch nemesis Plasma Boy an open
invitation to stay at my house.  But when I get my car tuned I plan on
'CRUSHING HIM', I'm just hoping I get to race him with my 3 cheats, before
he upgrades his batteries.
[...]

OK, that's it for now. let the responses begin!

See Ya.......John Wayland

Re: Chance to get your views in a Magazine

Hi-Torque Electric

--- John Wayland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are my follow-up questions. Not surprisingly,
> my editor asked me to
> round out the story with more people-interest to go
> with the stats and
> technology.

Hey John, all

Not so much looking to get into the article but
thought I'd throw my thoughts at this and how it's
effected me.

> 1. How do most people get involved with EV racing?
> Is it through initial
> interest in the environment? Or is it the
> cutting-edge technology aspect?

I was brought into the community by none other than
John Wayland himself so for me it was good old fashion
word of mouth, or what we call spreading the EV
gossple.  As someone who's built electric forklift
motors since 1981 which pushes the nations food
emissions free it plays on my enviro interests.  As
someone who's built motors for the slowest EV's on the
planet though, getting to build a motor for some of
the quickest plays on my tech side.  In general
though, how often does one get the chance to do
something that few have done before?

> 2. What's the allure of electric cars for you?

Having already stated my thoughts above, all I can do
is add a little second hand.  I talk to a lot of
present and future EV'ers from all over the world and
each has their own different reason from a rainbow of
flavors.

> 3. What's the toughest aspect of EV racing? Is it
> raising funds and
> getting sponsors? Is it finding the time to work on
> the vehicles (would
> you say most EV racers have a day-job too)?
> Something else?

The toughest part for me is being a sponsor, lol.  In
the end though the rewards more than justify the
efforts.  I don't know of any racer that doesn't have
a "day job" where EVen for me lift motors are my day
job while EV motors are a small percent of my work
load.

> 4. What are the rewards? Is it technological - as in
> being able to push
> a bunch of metal to the absolute limit? Or is it
> environmental - helping
> further alternative fuels and bettering the
> environment?

Looking at White Zombie as an example and it's best
run of 12.99 1/4 mile to an 11.47 in the span of a
couple of short years is pretty exciting.  In as much
as this gets all the "press" I'm just as proud to have
kicked out 50+ motors for use in daily driving cars.
I can only hope they counter the emmisions from the
motors I've done that cause sever tire smoke!

> 5. What keeps you coming back for more?

For me it's more than a race or a car and is based on
a feeling of being a member of a community.

> 6. Is the EV community a tight-knit bunch? Do people
> pitch in to help
> with other drivers with their vehicles - or is it
> super competitive?

Like people in general there are those on both sides
of the fence but it's a small and very tight (EVen if
not always in agreement) community which is always
looking to increase EV awareness.

In as much as I was never a race fan prior to 2005 I
have to admit I do get a kick out of seeing an
electric kick the crap out of an ICE.  Helping to
change the world, well that's priceless 8^)

Jim Husted
Hi-Torque Electric

Re: Chance to get your views in a Magazine

Mike Willmon-3

> Here are my follow-up questions. Not surprisingly, my editor asked me to
> round out the story with more people-interest to go with the stats and
> technology.
>
> 1. How do most people get involved with EV racing? Is it through initial
> interest in the environment? Or is it the cutting-edge technology aspect?

For me it was seeing John Waylands plain old simple Datsun 1200 croak out
enough torque to squash a (insert muscle car name here) 4 to 5 car lengths
off the line.  And it does it on plain old lead acid battery power.
Watching John and listening to his antics on the EVDL got me hooke with
racing.  I first built a daily driver so I could stop buying gasoline.  Now
I work on the 1978 Crazyhorse Pinto that will be a street/strip machine.

 > 2. What's the allure of electric cars for you?

Electric automobiles are the future of transportation.  They will help fix
pollution problems, dependence on oil problems, they are fast and they are
Now.  That means for the average cost of just rebuilding an old car, you
could have a 12-14 second dragster, to drive to work daily, and kick a$$ at
the strip on the weekends.

> 3. What's the toughest aspect of EV racing? Is it raising funds and
> getting sponsors? Is it finding the time to work on the vehicles (would
> you say most EV racers have a day-job too)? Something else?

Getting sponsors is a little difficult when you don't have something already
to show a potential sponsor.  So most of us shoestring it as much as we can
on our own budgets.  I've gotten a little bit of money thrown my way as well
as a partner who's half into it on the rest of the build.  The other
obstacle is time.  Since most of us have day jobs, unless it is as a shop
mechanic with access to garage space and tools, most of work them in our own
garage while our daily driver sets out in the snow at night.

> 4. What are the rewards? Is it technological - as in being able to push
> a bunch of metal to the absolute limit? Or is it environmental - helping
> further alternative fuels and bettering the environment?

It's the combination of being both part of the future of technology AND
being the future of environmentalism.  The racing is a rush unto itself, but
doing it cleanly on the heels of the future of technology give it class.

> 5. What keeps you coming back for more?

The threat of the alternative, which is having to go back to the gas station
an buy gasoline.  I really hate when I travel out of town on business
because it means renting a car and ultimately having to break down and
....buy gasoline :-(

> 6. Is the EV community a tight-knit bunch? Do people pitch in to help
> with other drivers with their vehicles - or is it super competitive?

In places where there are enough EV racers top congregate I think there are
plenty who share knowledge, parts, repair work etc.  So I think it's a
pretty tight knot community.  For others who might be the only electric
racer at their track they probably have to duke it out with a hundred years
of gasoline and testosterone fired drag racers dudes.  But if they can win,
the reward is respect.

Mike Willmon
Anchorage, Ak.
http://evalbum.austinev.org/1093

Re: Chance to get your views in a Magazine

Bob Bath

--- Mike Willmon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Here are my follow-up questions. Not surprisingly,
> my editor asked me to
> > round out the story with more people-interest to
> go with the stats and
> > technology.
> >
> > 1. How do most people get involved with EV racing?
> Is it through initial
> > interest in the environment? Or is it the
> cutting-edge technology aspect?

Some of us are too proud of our rigs and too paranoid
that they'll be involoved in an accident to actually
_race_ them...

>  > 2. What's the allure of electric cars for you?

All of the above: minimizing greenhouse gases;
stopping totalitarian sheikdoms from getting my money
to subsidize the subjugation of women in said
countries and sending it to madrassas (fundamentalist
islamic schools) to teach and export terrorism to my
country; and as a science teacher, I have to teach
series/parallel circuits, and amps and volts to kids
anyway.

> > 3. What's the toughest aspect of EV racing? Is it
> raising funds and
(Not applicable; see #1)

 > 4. What are the rewards? Is it technological - as
> in being able to push
> > a bunch of metal to the absolute limit? Or is it
> environmental - helping
> > further alternative fuels and bettering the
> environment?

both of the latter for me.

> > 5. What keeps you coming back for more?
>
> The threat of the alternative, which is having to go
> back to the gas station
> an buy gasoline.  I really hate when I travel out of
> town on business
> because it means renting a car and ultimately having
> to break down and
> ....buy gasoline :-(
AGREED!

> > 6. Is the EV community a tight-knit bunch? Do
> people pitch in to help
> > with other drivers with their vehicles - or is it
> super competitive?

This question is obviously geared toward racers, but I
meet many people who fit into any of the following
categories:
- Wow, as a contractor, I have the skills X, Y, and Z
to build one of those!
- Good for you!!! I'm impressed that someone is
stepping up the way you have!
- I used to race cars-- I bet the torque curve on your
motor is SWEET!
- If I only had the money, (9K or so) I'd start one of
those _tomorrow_!
 - The discussion list... Many great people-- some
survivalists, some engineers, some racing enthusiasts,
some auto mechanics-- it's quite a collection of
expertise, and our moderator does a remarkable job
keeping people on focus!
Hope that helps,

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23 "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter, featuring a sedan; a del Sol, and a hatchback, each running 144V/18 batteries.  It focuses on component/instrumentation/battery placement and other considerations.  For more info,   http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?