Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Hi Folks,

I saw a 5200 lb towing capacity emailed out so I googled the operators
manual for a 2020 Bolt, Page 230 that says NO towing capacity.  So don't see
any EV (except a unaffordable pricey Tesla X) to tow my 1600lb alum boat.
Maybe compromise with a hybrid, but more attracted complexity than just
keeping my old Ford Ranger.

Trailer Towing

General Towing

Information

{Warning

Never tow a trailer with your

vehicle. It was not designed or

intended to tow a trailer.

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson

184 Vista Lane

Fincastle, VA 24090

540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell

REEVA: community service RE & EV project club

Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)

UL Certified PV Installer

My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh

REEVA Demo:  <http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0> http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0

<https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/a88920376f864ecabaed843dd89
75b8d/signature> Fincastle Solar Weather Station

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

On 6/21/20 7:58 AM, mark hanson via EV wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I saw a 5200 lb towing capacity emailed out so I googled the operators
> manual for a 2020 Bolt, Page 230 that says NO towing capacity.  So don't see
> any EV (except a unaffordable pricey Tesla X) to tow my 1600lb alum boat.
> Maybe compromise with a hybrid, but more attracted complexity than just
> keeping my old Ford Ranger.

It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
  The lack of stated towing capacities has more to do with the
manufacturer's high level of risk avoidance and the perils of liability.

I imagine that if a car is "rated for towing", it can be expected to
pull that load ALWAYS and never be operated without a loaded trailer.

IMHO, ANY modern car should be capable of pulling at least a 2000 lb
trailer if equipped with a proper hitch.  Thousands of 2000 lb hitches
have been sold for imievs, Leafs, Model Ss, Model 3s, etc.

OTOH, if your boat weighs 1600 lb, then the loaded trailer may well be
pushing the arbitrary 2000 lb threshold.

I will point out that it is not likely that an ICE manufacturer has ever
condoned a conversion to electric.  So, most here will likely take
manufacturer's recommendations, or lack, with a large dose of salt.

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Model 3 can tow
https://electrek.co/2019/05/08/tesla-model-3-tow-hitch/

Model Y can tow
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-model-y-tow-hitch

Model S can tow
https://torkliftcentral.com/2012-2016-tesla-model-s-ecohitch-stealth
(An early, used Model S in good condition can be bought for $25-30k)

Barry

On 21 Jun 2020 at 8:25, Willie via EV wrote:

> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.

And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.

On 6/21/20 9:06 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2020 at 8:25, Willie via EV wrote:
>
>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
>
> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.

Agreed.  The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car
whose maker prohibits towing.  The less risk averse realize that
installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects of the
warranty.

An anecdote: I had a new 2006 Hyundai with 12 miles on the odometer
converted understanding I would have no Hyundai warranty.  I did not
suffer from lack of warranty.  Though I was surprised when a Hyundai
dealer refused to perform a state safety inspection on the converted
car.  I have had no warranty problems with three Teslas on which I
installed trailer hitches though Tesla Service Centers refuse to install
hitches.

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

The I-MiEV says not to pull a trailer because the brakes aren’t rated for it. However, I know lots of people doing it. Not sure I would tow a boat with it. With regenerative braking people rarely use the brakes. Mine is 8 years old and the pads still look new.

Sent from my iPad

On 6/21/20 9:27 AM, Paul Dove via EV wrote:
> The I-MiEV says not to pull a trailer because the brakes aren’t rated for it. However, I know lots of people doing it. Not sure I would tow a boat with it. With regenerative braking people rarely use the brakes. Mine is 8 years old and the pads still look new.

The imiev is the most obxiously ICEcentric EV I have driven!  Though I
love mine for several reasons.  The not optional creep.  The three
levels of very weak and lagging regen.  The odd "twist key against a
spring" starting procedure.

Perhaps justifiably, EV makers want to put bigger brakes on tow rated
EVs.  Only in the relatively rare situations of a full or cold battery
are bigger brakes needed.

Permit me a digression.  Last year, our local Tesla group was joined by
a new Model 3 owner.  He complained vociferously about regen.  He
recommended to Tesla that, if they wanted to make it a mass market car,
they would HAVE make it drive like a Prius.  His other car was a Prius
and they (he and his wife) were used getting on the brake as soon as the
throttle was lifted; they always abruptly lifted the throttle and were
irritated by the resultant rapid slowing.  Thankfully for the sanity of
the group, they finally came to terms with "one pedal driving".  And
grew to love it.  When driving an imiev, I am constantly irritated by
the lag in regen.

Willie via EV wrote:
> Agreed.  The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car
> whose maker prohibits towing.  The less risk averse realize that
> installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects of the
> warranty.

The physics of the matter is that towing increases the strain on the
batteries, controller, motor, and brakes. Manufacturers prefer to skimp
on them to save cost. Towing just might put some part a little above its
maximum design limit. Thus, towing increases the chances of a failure
during warranty.

But of course, how you drive and how often you tow makes a huge
difference. Do you do it often? Do you still drive at 80 mph with a
trailer? In the mountains?

But if you drive very gently when towing, the strain on the drive train
can actually be less than the "stop light racers" who drive like the
accellerator and brake pedal are on/off switches.

So it's easy for the dealer and manufacturer to say "no towing". If it
breaks during warranty, they can use the hitch as evidence and deny any
coverage. Even if you have never in fact towed anything, they win; you lose!

Me; I tow with older vehicles that don't have any warranty anyway. And,
I'm a very conservative driver. I've never had any problems due to towing.

If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
  - something to do
  - something to look forward to
  - someone to love
  - someone to take good care of
  - and misbehave, just a little

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Tesla supports towing on the Model Y.  A Class II hitch with 3500 pound
capacity is a $1,000 option on the US order page.

I've heard others say that Tesla supports towing on the Model 3 also, but
don't see it on the order page or aftermarket shop.  Supposedly, it has 2000
pound towing capacity.

One thing I've noticed is that Tesla sometimes supports towing in other
countries, but not the US.  I've heard that was true of the Model S too.

Mike

Willie via EV wrote:
> Agreed.  The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car
> whose maker prohibits towing.  The less risk averse realize that
> installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects of
> the warranty.

The physics of the matter is that towing increases the strain on the
batteries, controller, motor, and brakes. Manufacturers prefer to skimp on
them to save cost. Towing just might put some part a little above its
maximum design limit. Thus, towing increases the chances of a failure during
warranty.

But of course, how you drive and how often you tow makes a huge difference.
Do you do it often? Do you still drive at 80 mph with a trailer? In the
mountains?

But if you drive very gently when towing, the strain on the drive train can
actually be less than the "stop light racers" who drive like the
accellerator and brake pedal are on/off switches.

So it's easy for the dealer and manufacturer to say "no towing". If it
breaks during warranty, they can use the hitch as evidence and deny any
coverage. Even if you have never in fact towed anything, they win; you lose!

Me; I tow with older vehicles that don't have any warranty anyway. And, I'm
a very conservative driver. I've never had any problems due to towing.

If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
  - something to do
  - something to look forward to
  - someone to love
  - someone to take good care of
  - and misbehave, just a little

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Chevy actually offers a Class 1 hitch for the bolt, however it states that it's not for towing but rather for using with a hitch mounted Bicycle carrier, etc.
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/trailering/110-lb-capacity-trailer-hitch-carrier-mount-by-curt%E2%84%A2-group-associated-accessories-19355746

I don't know where those folks at Genthe Chevy came up with 5,200 capacity.  That's a bit on the rediculous side since it would require a Class 3 hitch and nobody makes anthying other than a class 1 for the bolt.
Having installed a class 1 hitch on my bolt I don't see how you could even mount a class 3 hitch.

That said, I would have no problem with towing a 2000 lb trailer with the bolt (and in fact I intend to)

Doing so will not automatically void the warranty.  By law the manufacturer has to PROVE that doing so caused some kind of damage and that damage would be all that wouldn't be covered.

June 21, 2020 7:22 AM, "Willie via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/21/20 9:06 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jun 2020 at 8:25, Willie via EV wrote:
>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
>> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.
>
> Agreed. The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car whose maker prohibits towing.
> The less risk averse realize that installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects
> of the warranty.
>
> An anecdote: I had a new 2006 Hyundai with 12 miles on the odometer converted understanding I would
> have no Hyundai warranty. I did not suffer from lack of warranty. Though I was surprised when a
> Hyundai dealer refused to perform a state safety inspection on the converted car. I have had no
> warranty problems with three Teslas on which I installed trailer hitches though Tesla Service
> Centers refuse to install hitches.

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Actually, from what I've read, the main limitation of towing has mainly to do with how safe the combination is at highway speeds.  Most states do not limit speed when towing so in order to be rated to tow a trailer, a vehicle HAS to be able to do it safely at the highest speed allowed, which in the USA is currently 85 mph (perhaps higher?  Montana?).

I wouldn't want to tow any kind of trailer behind a bolt at 85 mph.

June 21, 2020 11:43 AM, "Lee Hart via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Willie via EV wrote:
>
>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
>
> EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>>> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.
>
> Willie via EV wrote:
>> Agreed. The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car
>> whose maker prohibits towing. The less risk averse realize that
>> installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects of the
>> warranty.
>
> The physics of the matter is that towing increases the strain on the batteries, controller, motor,
> and brakes. Manufacturers prefer to skimp on them to save cost. Towing just might put some part a
> little above its maximum design limit. Thus, towing increases the chances of a failure during
> warranty.
>
> But of course, how you drive and how often you tow makes a huge difference. Do you do it often? Do
> you still drive at 80 mph with a trailer? In the mountains?
>
> But if you drive very gently when towing, the strain on the drive train can actually be less than
> the "stop light racers" who drive like the accellerator and brake pedal are on/off switches.
>
> So it's easy for the dealer and manufacturer to say "no towing". If it breaks during warranty, they
> can use the hitch as evidence and deny any coverage. Even if you have never in fact towed anything,
> they win; you lose!
>
> Me; I tow with older vehicles that don't have any warranty anyway. And, I'm a very conservative
> driver. I've never had any problems due to towing.
>
> Lee Hart
>
> -- If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
> - something to do
> - something to look forward to
> - someone to love
> - someone to take good care of
> - and misbehave, just a little
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

The towing restrictions are for the most stupid idiots among us that would
try to tow Large things at 85 MPH and then blame everyone else for their
problems.  I tow my boat, COM trailer, and utility trailers behind my
prius locally.

I'd be a fool to try to tow an RV trailer across country though.  Yet both
applications are for "trailers." And since no one reads the instructions,
they have to limit their towing to the lowest common denominator of idiot.

Oh, the normal 55 MPG prius gets 35 MPG towing at 55 MPH to the local
scout events.

Bob

Actually, from what I've read, the main limitation of towing has mainly to
do with how safe the combination is at highway speeds.  Most states do not
limit speed when towing so in order to be rated to tow a trailer, a
vehicle HAS to be able to do it safely at the highest speed allowed, which
in the USA is currently 85 mph (perhaps higher?  Montana?).

I wouldn't want to tow any kind of trailer behind a bolt at 85 mph.

June 21, 2020 11:43 AM, "Lee Hart via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Willie via EV wrote:
>
>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you
are.

> EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>>> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+
vehicle.

> Willie via EV wrote:
>> Agreed. The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car
>> whose maker prohibits towing. The less risk averse realize that
>> installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects of
>> the warranty.
>
> The physics of the matter is that towing increases the strain on the
> batteries, controller, motor, and brakes. Manufacturers prefer to
> skimp on them to save cost. Towing just might put some part a little
> above its maximum design limit. Thus, towing increases the chances of a
failure during warranty.

> But of course, how you drive and how often you tow makes a huge
> difference. Do you do it often? Do you still drive at 80 mph with a
trailer? In the mountains?

> But if you drive very gently when towing, the strain on the drive
> train can actually be less than the "stop light racers" who drive like
the accellerator and brake pedal are on/off switches.

> So it's easy for the dealer and manufacturer to say "no towing". If it
> breaks during warranty, they can use the hitch as evidence and deny
> any coverage. Even if you have never in fact towed anything, they win;
you lose!

> Me; I tow with older vehicles that don't have any warranty anyway.
> And, I'm a very conservative driver. I've never had any problems due to
towing.

> Lee Hart
>
> -- If happiness is on your mind, here's a daily list to find:
> - something to do
> - something to look forward to
> - someone to love
> - someone to take good care of
> - and misbehave, just a little
> --
> Lee Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, www.sunrise-ev.com

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

Yeah, I imagine it’s easier to say no towing than specify how much weight, aerodynamics, etc. I used to have a Saab 900 Turbo and I was towing a trailer full of tall furniture at 55 and after a while realized I was in continuously in turbo. I bet it was the bad aerodynamics. Probably be fine hauling something short.

-Steve

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Robert Bruninga via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The towing restrictions are for the most stupid idiots among us that would
> try to tow Large things at 85 MPH and then blame everyone else for their
> problems.  I tow my boat, COM trailer, and utility trailers behind my
> prius locally.
>
> I'd be a fool to try to tow an RV trailer across country though.  Yet both
> applications are for "trailers." And since no one reads the instructions,
> they have to limit their towing to the lowest common denominator of idiot.
>
> Oh, the normal 55 MPG prius gets 35 MPG towing at 55 MPH to the local
> scout events.
>
> Bob

In what state would that be the case?

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Peter VanDerWal via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Chevy actually offers a Class 1 hitch for the bolt, however it states that it's not for towing but rather for using with a hitch mounted Bicycle carrier, etc.
> https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/trailering/110-lb-capacity-trailer-hitch-carrier-mount-by-curt%E2%84%A2-group-associated-accessories-19355746
>
> I don't know where those folks at Genthe Chevy came up with 5,200 capacity.  That's a bit on the rediculous side since it would require a Class 3 hitch and nobody makes anthying other than a class 1 for the bolt.
> Having installed a class 1 hitch on my bolt I don't see how you could even mount a class 3 hitch.
>
> That said, I would have no problem with towing a 2000 lb trailer with the bolt (and in fact I intend to)
>
> Doing so will not automatically void the warranty.  By law the manufacturer has to PROVE that doing so caused some kind of damage and that damage would be all that wouldn't be covered.
>

> June 21, 2020 7:22 AM, "Willie via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
>>> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.
>>
>> Agreed. The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car whose maker prohibits towing.
>> The less risk averse realize that installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects
>> of the warranty.
>>
>> An anecdote: I had a new 2006 Hyundai with 12 miles on the odometer converted understanding I would
>> have no Hyundai warranty. I did not suffer from lack of warranty. Though I was surprised when a
>> Hyundai dealer refused to perform a state safety inspection on the converted car. I have had no
>> warranty problems with three Teslas on which I installed trailer hitches though Tesla Service
>> Centers refuse to install hitches.

Re: Chevy Bolt EV towing capacity NOT!

All of them, it's a federal law.  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts."

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/01/ftc-validates-right-to-install-aftermarket-parts

And, as I pointed out, the fact that Chevy sells a receiver hitch for the Bolt basically means they can't void your warranty simply because you have a reciever hitch installed.

June 22, 2020 5:27 PM, "Mark Abramowitz via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In what state would that be the case?
>
> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
>> On Jun 22, 2020, at 10:27 AM, Peter VanDerWal via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Chevy actually offers a Class 1 hitch for the bolt, however it states that it's not for towing but
>> rather for using with a hitch mounted Bicycle carrier, etc.
>> https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/trailering/110-lb-capacity-trailer-hitch-carrier-mount-by-
>> urt™-group-associated-accessories-19355746
>>
>> I don't know where those folks at Genthe Chevy came up with 5,200 capacity. That's a bit on the
>> rediculous side since it would require a Class 3 hitch and nobody makes anthying other than a class
>> 1 for the bolt.
>> Having installed a class 1 hitch on my bolt I don't see how you could even mount a class 3 hitch.
>>
>> That said, I would have no problem with towing a 2000 lb trailer with the bolt (and in fact I
>> intend to)
>>
>> Doing so will not automatically void the warranty. By law the manufacturer has to PROVE that doing
>> so caused some kind of damage and that damage would be all that wouldn't be covered.
>>
>> June 21, 2020 7:22 AM, "Willie via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/21/20 9:06 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
>>
>> On 21 Jun 2020 at 8:25, Willie via EV wrote:
>> It really depends on your anal retentiveness or how risk averse you are.
>> And on whether you're willing to discard the warranty on a $30K+ vehicle.
>>> Agreed. The risk averse should not install a trailer hitch on a car whose maker prohibits towing.
>>> The less risk averse realize that installation of the hitch does not automatically void all aspects
>>> of the warranty.
>>>
>>> An anecdote: I had a new 2006 Hyundai with 12 miles on the odometer converted understanding I would
>>> have no Hyundai warranty. I did not suffer from lack of warranty. Though I was surprised when a
>>> Hyundai dealer refused to perform a state safety inspection on the converted car. I have had no
>>> warranty problems with three Teslas on which I installed trailer hitches though Tesla Service
>>> Centers refuse to install hitches.

Iota DLS-55 on a 96v battery

Hi All,

I have a conversion that used to run a 144v battery (45 x TS 160AH cells).

I have replaced the battery with a 96v nominal battery (32 x CALB CA 130Ah cells) and the DC-DC (IOTA DLS-55) seems to be low on output voltage, due to the input voltage being below 130vdc.

I can boost the output voltage by putting the dual voltage plug in, and the dc-dc is always on, so I can get away with the new output voltage (currently 11v when the 96v battery is flat to 13v when the 96v battery is on charge, or +0.6v with the dual voltage plug in place).

Has anyone run an IOTA at 96v long term? Did it last? Or am I better off just swapping it out with a 96v dc-dc?

Also, does anyone have one of the dual voltage plugs spare (described here: https://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf illustration 3)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Re: Iota DLS-55 on a 96v battery

Matt via EV wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a conversion that used to run a 144v battery (45 x TS 160AH
> cells).
>
> I have replaced the battery with a 96v nominal battery (32 x CALB CA
> 130Ah cells) and the DC-DC (IOTA DLS-55) seems to be low on output
> voltage, due to the input voltage being below 130vdc.
>
> I can boost the output voltage by putting the dual voltage plug in,
> and the dc-dc is always on, so I can get away with the new output
> voltage (currently 11v when the 96v battery is flat to 13v when the
> 96v battery is on charge, or +0.6v with the dual voltage plug in
> place).
>
> Has anyone run an IOTA at 96v long term? Did it last? Or am I better
> off just swapping it out with a 96v dc-dc?

I'm not sure about the DLS-55, but if it is similar to the DLS-45, I
think you'll have trouble with it. I have done quite a bit of work
tracing out the circuit and fixing the DLS-45's so they work long-term
as DC/DC converters.

These units are of course designed as AC power supplies; not DC/DC
converters. The nominal AC input is 108-132vac, which is internally
rectified to 150-185vdc. This is what powers the actual DC/DC converter
inside.

96vdc into a 150vdc minimum converter is *way* too low for proper
operation. Even at 120vdc, I saw failures of the bridge rectifier,
switching MOSFETs, and snubber resistor on the MOSFETs. The lower the
input voltage, the higher the input current goes in an attempt to
compensate. These parts do not have an adequate safety margin; and so fail.

It might be possible to change enough parts to make it work. But if you
aren't an experienced electronics technician, I don't think it would be
practical.

> Also, does anyone have one of the dual voltage plugs spare (described
> here: https://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf illustration

Sorry; I can't help you there.

On 06/22/2020 20:55, Matt via EV wrote:
> Also, does anyone have one of the dual voltage plugs spare (described here: https://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf illustration 3)

Pretty sure it's just a single wire jumper in a telephone type plug.  So
it would be easy to make.  On the other hand, I should have a couple of
them.  I have a couple Iota power supply / battery chargers that I never
use that plug for my purposes.