Clarification: Leaf battery warranty.

What is the 60k battery capacity warranty vs. 100k battery warranty mean? What is the difference? Lawrence Rhodes

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Re: Clarification: Leaf battery warranty.

I believe Nissan guarantees that for 60k or 5 (?) years, whichever comes
first, the capacity does not drop more than 3 bars
which is claimed to be an 80% capacity but in reality is closer to 70%
(it is guaranteed to be more than 20% loss, so Nissan is
not forced to replace batteries that have lost less than 20%).
The 100k battery warranty as far as I undestand is a guarantee that the
battery stays functional, but may have severe capacity loss
in 100k miles. I did not read the exact text of the warranty - this is
my recollection from memory, please correct if my understanding
is not.
Cor.

What is the 60k battery capacity warranty vs. 100k battery warranty
mean? What is the difference? Lawrence Rhodes

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Re: Clarification: Leaf battery warranty.

Under the new warranty, Nissan will repair or replace a Leaf's battery within five years or 60,000 miles if it loses more than 30 percent of its charge capacity. ... The new warranty is the second for the Leaf's batteries; the first covers defects and flaws for up to eight years or 100,000 miles.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/2013-nissan-leaf-gets-new-battery-warranty-201645

What is the 60k battery capacity warranty vs. 100k battery warranty mean? What is the difference? Lawrence Rhodes

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device

Re: Clarification: Leaf battery warranty.

For my 2016 30 kWh Leaf, here is the language in the Warranty Information
Booklet:

LITHIUM-ION BATTERY CAPACITY COVERAGE In addition to the lithium-ion
Battery Coverage for defects in materials or workmanship, the lithiumion
battery is also warranted against capacity loss below nine bars of capacity
as shown on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge for a period of 60
months or 60,000 miles, for vehicles equipped with the 24 kWh battery or 96
months or 100,000 miles for vehicles equipped with the 30 kWh battery,
whichever comes first. This warranty covers any repairs needed to return
battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars on the vehicle’s battery
capacity level gauge. If possible, the lithium-ion battery components will
be repaired or replaced, and the original lithiumion battery will be
returned to the vehicle. If necessary, the lithium-ion battery will be
replaced with either a new or remanufactured lithium-ion battery. Any
repair or replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage
may not return your lithium-ion battery to an “as new” condition with all
12 battery capacity bars, but it will provide the vehicle with a capacity
level of nine bars or more on the battery capacity level gauge. This
Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage is subject to the exclusions listed
under the heading “WHAT IS NOT COVERED.”

So it looks like for a 24 kWh pack you get coverage for 60 months or 60,000
miles and for 30 kWh, 96 months and 100,000 miles (8 bars activates the
warranty coverage).
Here is a link to the manual:
http://juicedcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2016-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf

Phil H.