Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Cruisin
I would like to see any interested EV conversion people who would like to display their cars, no charge, at the Blackhawk Plaza in Danville on Sept 1, 2013. I will be there with my 70 VW EV classic and would like to see more conversions there. Actually, anything electric is what I would like to see. Contact Al Bullock at 925.292.8565 if interested. I have no knowledge of the availability of charging stations. Use google or blink for that info.

EVent requesting plugins attend: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

brucedp5
[I make this post to share some of my experience so others that also try
to do what Cruisin (Al) is doing, will have better EVent success]

In my past I coordinated a lot of EVents like this trying to entice
drivers to bring their personal vehicles. Which was a whole lot tougher
then as there were practically none when compared today (conversions or
Production). After doing it a while, I learned that those that were
willing to come, were the ones that I had done all the legwork of
obtaining the EVent information, and then had spoon-fed it to them (I
included everything they would need to know, and arranged the info in a
way that was easy for them to get interested and remember).

I would give the EVent details of the:

-Vehicles desired, anything electric (i.e.: All plugins: EVs conversion
or Production, or pih/phev)

-The day, date, and time EVent window, Sunday, Sep 1 2013  (unspecified,
possibly 8am to 4pm)

-The EVent:
http://www.shopblackhawkplaza.com/center_events.html
Cars & Coffee with Blackhawk Automotive Museum
 Sunday, September 1, 8am
 In the parking lot near Anthropologie
 Blackhawk Plaza and Blackhawk Automotive Museum welcome all car owners
 and enthusiasts for free coffee and a chance to showcase their
 collectors, rods, sports, customs, and classics. EVent information
 contact:  Al Bullock at 925.292.8565

-Maps:
http://www.shopblackhawkplaza.com/map.html
Blackhawk Automotive Museum,
Map address: 3700 Blackhawk Plaza Cir, Danville, CA
http://goo.gl/maps/0xOe4

-Where nearby EVSE is located:
http://www.afdc.energy.gov/locator/stations/results?utf8=%E2%9C%93&location=940613700+Blackhawk+Plaza+Cir%2C+Danville%2C+CA&filtered=true&fuel=ELEC&owner=all&payment=all&ev_level1=true&ev_level2=true&ev_dc_fast=true&ev_legacy=true&radius=true&radius_miles=5

-Then send a request attendance message with this information to the EAA
Chapter(s) or EV group(s) near the EVent that would have drivers that
could attend:

East (SF) Bay EAA
Contact: Ed  ebeaa @eaaev.org (510) 864-0662

San Jose EAA
Contact: Terry sjeaacontact @yahoo.com (408) 446-9357

California Central Valley EAA
Contact: Mark mark @electricar.us 209- 632-1967

An additional effort could be made to also post that EVent information
on the various plugin  forums:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forum.php
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/
http://myimiev.com/forum/
http://www.myhondafitev.com/forum/
http://www.mysmartelectricdrive.com/forum/
http://www.myfiat500e.com/forum/
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/

http://gm-volt.com/forum/
http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/forum/1-c-max-energi-owners/

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Cruisin
Thanks Bruce, I have done a few myself and swore I wouldn't do it again. Just don't want to be the only EV conversion there. Some of those that did show up in the past had cars on trailers (dead acid) with a for sale sign. I guess I am a die hard, the Sept 28 De Anza should be better, but I wouldn't bet money on it. It seems many of the forum DIY wanna bee's conversions either don't have a range over 5 miles, and/or, have a car that  isn't running any longer.

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Cor van de Water
Al wrote:
> ... swore I wouldn't do it again.
> ... I wouldn't bet money on it.
> It seems many of the forum DIY wanna bee's conversions
> either don't have a range over 5 miles, and/or,
> have a car that isn't running any longer.

It is called "self fulfilling prophecy"
if the words that you utter describe a situation
which influences the circumstances to create the
situation that you described.

In this case, the negative undertone that I sense in
the words describing the expectation for this event,
makes me not want to be there, even if the range of
my EV would allow to make the 40+ mile one-way trek
over the mountains - which is the most likely reason
that most EV people won't be there, because the highest
concentration of EV'ers (Silicon Valley) are not guaranteed
to find charging and it is iffy if they can make the trip
on a single charge, even if you have a Leaf and drive
conservatively, so why risk it?

Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Cruisin
I guess you don't know how to look for or find charging stations. A good excuse for not wanting to attend. Or maybe its more than that.

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Cruisin
It was a good show that no EV conversion owners came to. Even those that live in the area. Ed Thorpe was there and I with the only EV conversion. Over 300 Classic cars on display in front of the Blackhawk museum in Danville. Very sad that there is a lack of interest from those that made a lot of noise about conversions the last 10 years and have fallen silent. I guess their lead acid is dead.

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
I am glad your show went well.
But I would suggest you do not judge other conversion drivers too
harshly as there are several reasons why they did not bring their
personal EV to the show:

-as Cor had mentioned, there is the steep climb on I-680 that some local
conversions are not suited for, and or those conversions are not
retrofitted to tap into the new wealth of public L2 EVSE.

-September is a busy plugin month: local EAA chapters either have an
EVent of their own to celebrate Nation Plugin Day, or their Chapter
members plan on attending other Chapter's EVent to give support (i.e.:
the eaasv.org rally @DeAnza College)
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVent-Silicon-Valley-EAA-Rally-Sat-Sep-28-2013-Cupertino-CA-tp4663962p4664550.html

-your EVent was on a U.S. Labor-Day holiday weekend, where family and
friends may have made other plans. Sometimes, there are other factors
pulling at a driver's ability to attend these EVents, and they have to pick
their battles (they past on your smaller EVent, so that the spouse would
be OK with attending the coming larger Plugin Day EVent, etc.).

-or it could be, your EV is just so-good, they did not want to be
out-classed :-)

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013, at 06:02 PM, Cruisin wrote:
> It was a good show that no EV conversion owners came to. Even those that
> live
> in the area. Ed Thorpe was there and I with the only EV conversion. Over
> 300
> Classic cars on display in front of the Blackhawk museum in Danville.
> Very
> sad that there is a lack of interest from those that made a lot of noise
> about conversions the last 10 years and have fallen silent. I guess their
> lead acid is dead.
-

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

rodhower
Positive as usual Cruisin!  Keep up the inspiring work!

________________________________

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

Mike Nickerson
Besides the points that Bruce already mentioned, I would like to highlight
the positive benefits of a personal invitation (even if by email).

I coordinated a show in Boise, ID in April.  It is quite a bit different
situation, but there are some parallels.  Our show is held at the
Hewlett-Packard site in Boise.  It is intended to showcase alternative
vehicles of all types (bio-diesel, electric, CNG, bicycles, etc.)  Because
of that, it is a pretty focused show, but we want to showcase a mix of
conversion and new vehicles; as well as bicycle commuters.

Personalized invitations to owners of conversions and commercial vehicles
was key to our success.  I went through the evalbum and found everyone in
the area.  Some of them had moved out of the area without updating their
information.  As you might guess, several drivers of EVs were employees of
HP.  They were easy to contact and convince to show their vehicles.

However, we also go several other owners of vehicles to come display on a
work day.  We contacted everyone we knew and put the word out through the
valley that we were looking for cars.  Again, each one got a personal
invitation to show.

We ended up with between 1/2 and 2/3 of the conversions in the area at our
show.  I figured that was pretty good.  (It was around 7 conversions.  Boise
isn't really a hotspot for EVs like some other areas.  We do have 3 Nissan
Leafs on site now, though.  Two are new since the show.)

I also wonder if calling it a "Classic Car Show" discourages some people
with electric cars.  I don't know that I would consider my 1993 Honda del
Sol a "classic" even if converted to electric.

Mike

Interesting, after talking to many of the conversion owners, they didn't use the same excuse that you provided, instead, the old standby, MY ACID IS DEAD. Lets see if there is a local improvement of local conversion attendees at the Plug-in day at De Anza 9/28/13. The last was a failure all of those in the local community that spend a lot of time on the forums telling everyone what a good job they have done on their conversion. Yes I was there and made a note of who showed and the turnout was discouraging. Hope the 28th is better.

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

EVDL Administrator
On 3 Sep 2013 at 7:57, Cruisin wrote:

> the old standby, MY ACID IS DEAD

Interesting.  I don't recall ever hearing anyone tell me that, nor have I
ever read that expression on this list before you used it.

Perhaps they had other reasons to skip the event, and were trying to be
polite.

Perhaps things will go better next time.

Re: Classis car show Danville Blackhawk 9/1/13

David Ladd
I haven't been to a car show since I was about 14.  And my experience with local folks who are into the classic car scene tells me that my EV would not be appreciated there anyway...  Plus my car is no show car!  It's just a down and dirty daily driver.  I have been to a local chapter EAA meeting, that was fun and a bit of a car show in the parking lot.  Just a bunch of EV gearheads checking out each other's cars.

No dead lead here though, just a pile of broken motors and transmissions :-)

david.
http://www.evalbum.com/4021