Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

MPaulHolmes
I have a question about the ALBRIGHT SW182B.  It is rated at 150amp continuous, with magnetic blowouts.  I have the 48v 300amp curtis club car controller.  My car will probably draw the occasional 300 amps when climbing hills or street racing (0-40 in... well, never).  Any comments about how that would affect the life of a contactor rated at 150 amps continuous?  It has a 30% duty at 275amp rating.

The magnetic blowouts are used only once, in a catastrophe, right?

Would it be safe enough to have an emergency disconnect instead of a contactor that turns on/off with each press of the "gas" pedal in this low power scenario?

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

Peter Gabrielsson
The sw182b will do 350 amps fro 2.5 minutes, 250 amps for 5.8 minutes
and 150A continous
I don't know what model your Curtis is but the 1205-2 will do 350A for
2 minutes, 250 amps for 5 minutes and 150 continous.

As you can tell their thermal ratings are closely matched and they
will work fine together. I suspect it will be just fine with your 300A
controller too, but check the datasheet.

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:04 AM, paul holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a question about the ALBRIGHT SW182B.  It is rated at 150amp
> continuous, with magnetic blowouts.  I have the 48v 300amp curtis club car
> controller.  My car will probably draw the occasional 300 amps when climbing
> hills or street racing (0-40 in... well, never).  Any comments about how
> that would affect the life of a contactor rated at 150 amps continuous?  It
> has a 30% duty at 275amp rating.
>
> The magnetic blowouts are used only once, in a catastrophe, right?
>
> Would it be safe enough to have an emergency disconnect instead of a
> contactor that turns on/off with each press of the "gas" pedal in this low
> power scenario?

www.electric-lemon.com

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

Doug Weathers

On May 10, 2008, at 11:04 AM, paul holmes wrote:

> The magnetic blowouts are used only once, in a catastrophe, right?

No, it is used every time the contacts open or close.

The magnetic blowout is just a permanent magnet placed near the
contacts.  When an arc is formed by contacts closing or opening, the
arc wants to follow along the lines of magnetic force, which are
curved.  Since a curved line is longer than a straight line, the arc
will extinguish faster.

One other point: the magnet should be arranged to "blow" the arc out of
the contactor, instead of sucking it in deeper.  This is controlled by
the direction the electrons are flowing through the arc, which in turn
is controlled by how you hooked up the contactor.  Moral: make sure you
hook the positive wire to the positive terminal on the contactor, or
you'll turn the magnetic blowout into a magnetic suckin.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

rodhower
The original contactor on my 1995 Club Car was a piece
of junk! (this was original equipment).  I currently
have a 72V, 450A Alltrax control with 48Vdc of SAFT
STM-180 nicd batteries (8 total).  I have a 150A GE
forklift contactor with a 24V coil that is wired into
18Vdc or 3 batteries.  The GE contactor is much better
than the original equipment Curtis/Albright can stile
contactor.
Rod
My golfcart is shown here,
http://www.evalbum.com/265

--- Peter Gabrielsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The sw182b will do 350 amps fro 2.5 minutes, 250
> amps for 5.8 minutes
> and 150A continous
> I don't know what model your Curtis is but the
> 1205-2 will do 350A for
> 2 minutes, 250 amps for 5 minutes and 150 continous.
>
> As you can tell their thermal ratings are closely
> matched and they
> will work fine together. I suspect it will be just
> fine with your 300A
> controller too, but check the datasheet.
>

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:04 AM, paul holmes
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have a question about the ALBRIGHT SW182B.  It
> is rated at 150amp
> > continuous, with magnetic blowouts.  I have the
> 48v 300amp curtis club car
> > controller.  My car will probably draw the
> occasional 300 amps when climbing
> > hills or street racing (0-40 in... well, never).
> Any comments about how
> > that would affect the life of a contactor rated at
> 150 amps continuous?  It
> > has a 30% duty at 275amp rating.
> >
> > The magnetic blowouts are used only once, in a
> catastrophe, right?
> >
> > Would it be safe enough to have an emergency
> disconnect instead of a
> > contactor that turns on/off with each press of the
> "gas" pedal in this low
> > power scenario?
> > --

> www.electric-lemon.com

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

Hello Paul,

If you are turning off and on at every press of the accelerator pedal while
the contactor is under load, these contacts will not last long.  You will
have to either dress them out once a month or replace them once every six
months.

As you are releasing the accelerator, the pot box micro switch should still
hold the contactor close until the ohms drops enough where the motor
controller does not apply any more power to the motor.  At this point the
ampere is so low or about 0 amps.  Then when you completely let up on the
accelerator pedal, the contactor is not opening or closing under any load.

This is the way my old CableForm accelerator control work.  There was a
micro switch in the unit, that turn on the contactor first or turn it off
last before the motor control provided any power to the motor.

My contactors are CableForm 400 amp contactors and for 10 years I climb a 2
mile steep hill pulling up to 600 motor amps for about a minute at a time.
Two contactors contacts look just like new after 30 years of use.  One
really blacken up one contact one time, when I accidentally turn it off
under load one time.

All I did to recondition this contactor, is to clean the contactor with a
electronics cleaner and dress the contacts with a contact file.  This
contactor is still going today.

You should be ok, if you do not operate the contactor over 150 amps for more
than a minute at a time and do not open or close it at over the rated
ampere.

> I have a question about the ALBRIGHT SW182B.  It is rated at 150amp
> continuous, with magnetic blowouts.  I have the 48v 300amp curtis club car
> controller.  My car will probably draw the occasional 300 amps when
> climbing
> hills or street racing (0-40 in... well, never).  Any comments about how
> that would affect the life of a contactor rated at 150 amps continuous?
> It
> has a 30% duty at 275amp rating.
>
> The magnetic blowouts are used only once, in a catastrophe, right?
>
> Would it be safe enough to have an emergency disconnect instead of a
> contactor that turns on/off with each press of the "gas" pedal in this low
> power scenario?

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

Roger Stockton
Rod Hower wrote:

> I have a 150A GE forklift contactor
> with a 24V coil that is wired into 18Vdc or 3 batteries.  The
> GE contactor is much better than the original equipment
> Curtis/Albright can stile contactor.

Just to avoid possible confusion, the Curtis/Albright contactors used in on-road EVs (and being discussed in this tread) are open-frame types, just like Rod's GE.

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

Darin -@- ForkenSwift.com
paul holmes wrote:

> My car will probably draw the occasional 300 amps when climbing
> hills or ***street racing***

You're on!!  :-)

FYI, you won't draw 300 amps for long.  That specific Club Car
controller isn't listed on the Curtis site, but the 275A 1204 version
will only deliver max current for 2 min., 200A for 5 min., 125A for 1 hr.

http://tinyurl.com/5p7wnc

Darin
http://forkenswift.com

Re: Contactor for low budget weenie-mobile

MPaulHolmes
The full name of the part is:  SW182B/125

According to the data sheet, some of the contactors are only meant to have the coils on intermittently, like 70% of the time.  Others can have the coils on all the time.  Does anyone know which one of those types the SW182B/125 is?