Controler question??

evpage
Hi,
  There are numerous smaller Curtis and other brand controllers available used at a low price. Has anyone
tried using the board from one of these to drive one of the larger IGBT's?
Rick

Re: Controler question??

Lee Hart
[hidden email] wrote:
> There are numerous smaller Curtis and other brand controllers
> available used at a low price. Has anyone tried using the board from
> one of these to drive one of the larger IGBT's?

I'm sure it's been done, because the same control board is used in many
different Curtis controllers, from small to large, with only minor
modifications.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: Controler question??

Peter VanDerWal
As far as I know, Curtii use FETs not IGBTs.

At any rate, the power stage is the hard part.  The processor is easy.

> Hi,
>   There are numerous smaller Curtis and other brand controllers available
> used at a low price. Has anyone
> tried using the board from one of these to drive one of the larger IGBT's?
> Rick

Re: Controler question??

MPaulHolmes

evpage wrote
Hi,
  There are numerous smaller Curtis and other brand controllers available used at a low price. Has anyone
tried using the board from one of these to drive one of the larger IGBT's?
Rick
The driver for large igbt's (for example, 1200v 600amp) is not just a single chip, but a whole specialized circuit, that isn't the same circuit that would drive relatively low power mosfets.  Check out BG2B circuit board for big IGBTs.  It is used to run 2 1200v 600amp IGBTs in parallel.  It seems like too much, right?  But it turns out that the safe operating area is pretty restricted.  Less than 200 amps per device continuous.  Also, you'll need one heck of a cooling setup.  Maybe a liquid cooled cold plate?