Controller Choices...

Bob Sisson
I am about to the point where I need to order a controller for my Project. A
1993 Geo Metro Convertible.  My Target is a 120-144V 100Ahr LiFePo4 pack to
use with my Warp-8 motor.
The following controllers SEEM like overkill, but will survive "spirited"
driving and will not overheat under cruising loads. There are LOTS of
controllers at < 120V or <500A, but once you want a "robust" controller that
uses higher voltages and currents, the field narrows FAST.  Add high
reliability and the list gets smaller.

For Controllers, I have "Narrowed" the list to:
LogiSystems 71-198V 750A $1050
Kelly KDHB 24-156V 600A $1358
Curtis 1231C 96-144V 500A $1589
Synkromotive DC-7001 48-156V 700A $1612
Zilla Z1K-LV 72-156V 1000A $1975

I chose these voltages as they will allow for a "Fresh off the charger 144V
pack."  Kelly has a higher amperage unit, but not at 156V, all of the other
units are 156V so I went with that.

The Zilla is the indestructible "platinum" controller, but also requires the
most additional stuff to make it work (water cooling, Hairball, etc.)

The Kelly is the NOT the cheapest, but has the lowest constant usable
current and is known to have overheating current cutback problems; don't
know about adding the FANS they now show.

Logisystems has the lowest price but is also the 'least smart' as it has no
computer interface and SEEMS like an overgrown Curtis.

The Curtis, although a standard for a long time, is not smart and is low on
the current and voltage scale.
Alltrax didn't seem to have anything above 72V which would mean much higher
currents and subsequent losses.

I am tempted to toss out the Kelly simply because of the reputation of not
being able to deliver the current over time, and the Logisystems as
"screwdriver ports" for adjusting acceleration ramps is not in the same
league as the others.

That leaves the Synkromotive in the middle as a smart, programmable and
seemingly robust controller.  I am not fond of the INTERNAL FANS, but I
don't plan to mount it where it will be directly exposed to spray, but it is
a concern.
There are LOTS of controllers at < 120V or <500A, but once you want a
"robust" controller that uses higher voltages and currents, the field
narrows FAST.  Add high reliability and the list gets smaller.

The Zilla is the hands down best controller period. but it has a waiting
list, requires Water cooling, and has far more interlocks, sensors, and
STUFF to make it work.  The Syncromotive controller SEEMS like a simpler and
only slightly less expensive choice that will do more than what I need. The
Syncromotive controller is NEW, but went through some good testing and BETA
work.

I also like that the Synkromotive goes down to 48V so I can inexpensively
get it running in the Shop/Parking lot with some 2nd hand Lead cells THEN
order the 144V (ouch) LifePo4 packs/modules/cells.

QUESTION. Is the Sycromotive the best choice for my lightweight conversion?
Have I missed any choices?

I ponder this question as except for the Motor, the Controller is the single
largest expense.  Everything else can be bought  a little at a time. even
the Batteries can be bought a cell/module at a time. but the controller is a
BIG OUCH all at once, and I really can't afford to blow one up, or have to
buy another because of lousy performance in a year.

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD

Re: Controller Choices...

Bob Bath
Are there any reasons that Belktronix and Raptor (specifically the 1200 series) aren't on your lists?Good luck with the decision.

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  My $23 "CivicWithACord" DVD (57 mins.) shows ins and outs you'll encounter converting the sedan; the del Sol, or the hatchback. Each runs 144V/18 batteries.  Primary focus on component/instrumentation/ battery placement and other considerations.  For more info,   http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html

                          ____

                       __/__|__\__

             =D-------/   - -     \

                      'O'-----'O'-'

Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?

OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

Re: Controller Choices...

Mike Golub-2
Never heard of this:
LogiSystems                     71-198V 750A            $1050

Could you explain?

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Bob Sisson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> Syncromotive controller is NEW, but went through some good testing and BETA
> work.
>
> I also like that the Synkromotive goes down to 48V so I can inexpensively
> get it running in the Shop/Parking lot with some 2nd hand Lead cells THEN
> order the 144V (ouch) LifePo4 packs/modules/cells.
>
> QUESTION. Is the Sycromotive the best choice for my lightweight conversion?
> Have I missed any choices?
>
> I ponder this question as except for the Motor, the Controller is the
> single
> largest expense.  Everything else can be bought  a little at a time. even
> the Batteries can be bought a cell/module at a time. but the controller is
> BIG OUCH all at once, and I really can't afford to blow one up, or have to
> buy another because of lousy performance in a year.

Re: Controller Choices...

David Nelson-5
There is also the WarP-Drive 160V for $1950. I don't think there is a
low voltage version of the Soliton1.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: Controller Choices...

Mike Willmon-3
You might not have the money to do it right, but you will find the money to do it twice ( or three times I've heard in some cases)
when your controller fails.  Buy the Zilla!  There are Zilla's on the shelf now.  Of all the controllers in the list you name I have
not heard a single flame story from a Zilla owner.  I own two and let me tell you something,  a Hairball and a water pump may seem
complicated, but they are really just another box.  And the safety interlocks are worth their weight in gold because as you become
more familiar with your car, the more careless you get.  Having the Hairball lock the main contactor open while charging is a good
thing.  Having the Hairball shut down on excessive motor RPM is a good thing which will save you "from doing it twice".  Having the
Hairball not let the controller take your pack below a certain voltage, ever, is a good thing.  Having the Hairball not allow more
than a certain current to be drawn from the batteries, or more than a certain current to be delivered to the motor, is a good thing.
Having the Hairball automatically pre-charge your main contactor is a good thing.  Having the Hairball go to Valet mode when you let
your kid drive is a good thing.  Having the Hairball shift a Forward/Reverse contactor is a good thing if you are considering direct
drive.   All of these things and more are still possible with any of the other controllers, except you will be adding a lot of
external components and getting into designing their operation, because they are not already built in.  For the Zilla, all you have
to add is a Hairball and a water pump.  And besides, water pumps are easy ;-)

Mike

Re: Controller Choices...

Roger Heuckeroth
I once got some advice that I try to live by, and it's never let me
down...

I you can afford the best. Get the best. You will never regret your
decision.

I don't know your financial situation, but if you can comfortably
spend the few hundred extra $ to get a Zilla, you will never regret it.

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 27, 2009, at 3:19 PM, "Bob Sisson" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> I also like that the Synkromotive goes down to 48V so I can
> inexpensively
> get it running in the Shop/Parking lot with some 2nd hand Lead cells
> THEN
> order the 144V (ouch) LifePo4 packs/modules/cells.
>
> QUESTION. Is the Sycromotive the best choice for my lightweight
> conversion?
> Have I missed any choices?
>
> I ponder this question as except for the Motor, the Controller is
> the single
> largest expense.  Everything else can be bought  a little at a time.
> even
> the Batteries can be bought a cell/module at a time. but the
> controller is a
> BIG OUCH all at once, and I really can't afford to blow one up, or
> have to
> buy another because of lousy performance in a year.

Re: Controller Choices...

Russco
> I am about to the point where I need to order a controller for my Project.
> 1993 Geo Metro Convertible.  My Target is a 120-144V 100Ahr LiFePo4 pack
> use with my Warp-8 motor.
> The following controllers SEEM like overkill, but will survive "spirited"
> driving and will not overheat under cruising loads. There are LOTS of
> controllers at < 120V or <500A, but once you want a "robust" controller
> that
> uses higher voltages and currents, the field narrows FAST.  Add high
> reliability and the list gets smaller.

> For Controllers, I have "Narrowed" the list to:
> LogiSystems 71-198V 750A $1050
> Kelly KDHB 24-156V 600A $1358
> Curtis 1231C 96-144V 500A $1589
> Synkromotive DC-7001 48-156V 700A $1612
> Zilla Z1K-LV 72-156V 1000A $1975

Or, how about this one?

...For 2010, RUSSCO is pleased to introduce the model SMC600/72-156
EV modular controller for DC series motors of on-road vehicles weighing
up to 4500 pounds.  The controller provides a user adjustable motor current
up to 600 amps using battery packs of 72-156 volts nominal.  The
controller uses a pair of industrial rated IGBT...modules....  The...
controller is fully self contained....  The RUSSCO Model SMC600/72-156
controller measures 7-1/4” W x 7-3/8” H x 13-1/4" L and weighs 16 pounds.

Picture here:

http://www.russcoev.com/controller.jpg

Russ Kaufmann

Russco Engineering

http://russcoev.com

The Other Adjustable PFC Charger With Built In GFCI

Re: Controller Choices...

Gail Lucas-2
Bob,

You might also check on the Russco controller.  Russ is on this list
<[hidden email]>
and mentioned he is building controllers again.  He had a line of them quite
a few years ago.
One of our local EV converters had one in a vehicle and liked it.  I bought
one but never got around to using it.

Gail

>I am about to the point where I need to order a controller for my Project.
> 1993 Geo Metro Convertible.  My Target is a 120-144V 100Ahr LiFePo4 pack
> use with my Warp-8 motor.
> The following controllers SEEM like overkill, but will survive "spirited"
> driving and will not overheat under cruising loads. There are LOTS of
> controllers at < 120V or <500A, but once you want a "robust" controller
> that
> uses higher voltages and currents, the field narrows FAST.  Add high
> reliability and the list gets smaller.
>
> For Controllers, I have "Narrowed" the list to:
> LogiSystems 71-198V 750A $1050
> Kelly KDHB 24-156V 600A $1358
> Curtis 1231C 96-144V 500A $1589
> Synkromotive DC-7001 48-156V 700A $1612
> Zilla Z1K-LV 72-156V 1000A $1975

> I am about to the point where I need to order a controller for my Project.
> 1993 Geo Metro Convertible.  My Target is a 120-144V 100Ahr LiFePo4 pack
> use with my Warp-8 motor.
> The following controllers SEEM like overkill, but will survive "spirited"
> driving and will not overheat under cruising loads. There are LOTS of
> controllers at < 120V or <500A, but once you want a "robust" controller
> that
> uses higher voltages and currents, the field narrows FAST.  Add high
> reliability and the list gets smaller.

> For Controllers, I have "Narrowed" the list to:
> LogiSystems            71-198V 750A        $1050
> Kelly KDHB             24-156V 600A        $1358
> Curtis 1231C            96-144V 500A        $1589
> Synkromotive DC-7001        48-156V 700A        $1612
> Zilla Z1K-LV            72-156V 1000A        $1975

Or, how about this one?

...For 2010, RUSSCO is pleased to introduce the model SMC600/72-156
EV modular controller for DC series motors of on-road vehicles weighing
up to 4500 pounds.  The controller provides a user adjustable motor current
up to 600 amps using battery packs of 72-156 volts nominal.  The
controller uses a pair of industrial rated IGBT...modules....  The...
controller is fully self contained....  The RUSSCO Model SMC600/72-156
controller measures 7-1/4” W x 7-3/8” H x 13-1/4" L and weighs 16 pounds.

Picture here:

http://www.russcoev.com/controller.jpg

Russ Kaufmann

Russco Engineering

http://russcoev.com

The Other Adjustable PFC Charger With Built In GFCI

Re: Controller Choices...

Gary Krysztopik-2
In this order - 1) Zilla, 2) Zilla, 3) Zilla.

Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
San Antonio, TX

Bob Sisson wrote:

> [...]
> only slightly less expensive choice that will do more than what I need. The
> Syncromotive controller is NEW, but went through some good testing and BETA
> work.
>
> I also like that the Synkromotive goes down to 48V so I can inexpensively
> get it running in the Shop/Parking lot with some 2nd hand Lead cells THEN
> order the 144V (ouch) LifePo4 packs/modules/cells.
>
> QUESTION. Is the Sycromotive the best choice for my lightweight conversion?
> Have I missed any choices?
>
> I ponder this question as except for the Motor, the Controller is the single
> largest expense.  Everything else can be bought  a little at a time. even
> the Batteries can be bought a cell/module at a time. but the controller is a
> BIG OUCH all at once, and I really can't afford to blow one up, or have to
> buy another because of lousy performance in a year.

Re: Controller Choices...

Richard Rau at NWEV
Bob,
I have a new controller that may be good for you.  It's a Zilla Z1K- HV that
is still in the box and I am unable to use it because of circumstances that
have made it difficult for me to continue my conversion.  It is HV model,
and if I can sell it before the end of the year it would be a big advantage
for me and so I'd be willing to sell for close to what you listed the Z1K-LV
at.

It would come with the 'P' model Hairball AND the HEPA pedal.  Also, product
support would be there even though this would not be purchased directly from
the manufacturer. I put one of these in a Porsche and it worked great.  The
HEPA pedal is especially nice!
If you want to know more please contact me off-list at
>[hidden email]<
Good luck,
Richard Rau

Re: Controller Choices...

Mike Willmon-3
Bob,

There is only one of the controllers listed that I know "may" be overkill for what you are planning.
But consider this, many of the ones on the list and some that aren't I have seen stories of blown up controllers, some inducing some
spectacular (and embarrassing) smoke shows.  Not to mention the cost of recovering from such an accident.  Even if the manufacturer
sends you a new controller free of charge, you still have costs associated with down time and repairs.  Not to mention the black eye
it gives to EV's in general when a story goes out mentioning that EV's are not yet reliable enough for main stream consumption.

There is a saying that I have coined in my current job about companies that "don't have enough money to do it right, but have enough
money to do it twice".  If you don't look at specs, and features and only look at costs then at least also look at track records and
decide for yourself what part of the car you want to have to worry about replacing when it fails.

Of all the stories of flame failures there is one that I have not heard one about.  These controllers are employed in daily drivers,
but more importantly they are employed in high powered racing.  I have one in service in each application.  Of all the problems,
which are not really that many, I have NEVER had one attributed to the Zilla controller.  In fact I have had many nuisance cut outs
from the controller but have ALWAYS been traced back to another failure or mis-wiring on my part.   I actually thought I had a
Hairball go bad once, sent it back to Otmar.  A week later I get it back saying that the hairball is fine.  I put it back in service
and promptly found my real problem.

Yes many problems are blamed on controllers.  But many of the controllers I've seen make that readily apparent by first letting the
smoke out, and only then forcing you to find out what went wrong. The Hairball controls for the Zilla have prevented me many times
blowing things up. Don't think of wiring a Hairball as an inconvenience.  Think of it as a $300 insurance policy that nobody has
made a claim on yet.

And another note.  Water pumps are not that hard to install and 30 times more effective at removing heat than air.  Check out why
building HVAC systems use water in their cooling towers instead of just free air cooling ;-)

Mike

Rush Dougherty
Looks like Xmas is still here.... someone is going to get a gonga of a deal!

Rush
Tucson AZ

> I have a new controller that may be good for you.  It's a Zilla Z1K- HV
> that
> is still in the box and I am unable to use it because of circumstances
> that
> have made it difficult for me to continue my conversion.  It is HV model,
> and if I can sell it before the end of the year it would be a big
> advantage
> for me and so I'd be willing to sell for close to what you listed the
> Z1K-LV
> at.
>
> It would come with the 'P' model Hairball AND the HEPA pedal.  Also,
> product
> support would be there even though this would not be purchased directly
> from
> the manufacturer. I put one of these in a Porsche and it worked great.
> The
> HEPA pedal is especially nice!
> If you want to know more please contact me off-list at
>>[hidden email]<
> Good luck,
> Richard Rau

The Beltronix looked like a DIY project... and I didn't see any computer
interface.  It may be great, but it is not mainstream or well known by this
group.

I could not find a Page for the DCP Raptor...a few repair sites, and a few
old forum articles, but nothing new...

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD

Re: Controller Choices...

Lawrence Rhodes
I haven't adjusted my Curtis/Logisystem up grade since buying it.  It was a Curtis 120v 1221B model modified to go 144vdc.  The first one blew up.  Probably because of my bad wiring.  Jim at Logisystems replaced it.  It has been flawless for years.  Logisystems stands behind it's product.  The one they do now seems to be dependable.  It also has headroom in amps so you can cut it back and make it more dependable but still have 500 amps which is plenty for a light conversion.  Mine is 144vdc 700 amps at 2650 in weight.  Pretty zippy.  I can easily dust a RaV4 EV.  That's not saying much as they are pretty slow but I can also say it is faster than stock.  Just based on dependability I'd chose Logisystem.  As a customer I urged Jim to build his own controller as at the time there were few alternatives to Curtis. They also did put fan mounts on the controller which is a help in cooling.

 One thing about the Altrax is you could use two Altrax 72v controllers & two A89 or L91 motors and have a pretty cheap and fast setup in a light conversion using one half the 144v pack for each motor and controller.  Lawrence Rhodes.....

Re: Controller Choices...

Richard Rau at NWEV
I'm glad that you recognized this Rush.  I put this Zilla offer out last
night to Bob Sisson, but because this deal is intended to bring in needed
funds before the end of the year I can't wait long. I'm thinking $2075 for
all.   If I don't hear from Bob fairly soon I will be open to others who may
be interested.   Thanks,    Richard Rau  email -

Looks like Xmas is still here.... someone is going to get a gonga of a deal!

Rush
Tucson AZ

> I have a new controller that may be good for you.  It's a Zilla Z1K- HV
> that
> is still in the box and I am unable to use it because of circumstances
> that
> have made it difficult for me to continue my conversion.  It is HV model,
> and if I can sell it before the end of the year it would be a big
> advantage
> for me and so I'd be willing to sell for close to what you listed the
> Z1K-LV
> at.
>
> It would come with the 'P' model Hairball AND the HEPA pedal.  Also,
> product
> support would be there even though this would not be purchased directly
> from
> the manufacturer. I put one of these in a Porsche and it worked great.
> The
> HEPA pedal is especially nice!
> If you want to know more please contact me off-list at
>>[hidden email]<
> Good luck,
> Richard Rau

Re: Controller Choices...

Mike Golub-2
Jim, Logisystems, told me he can make a controller that does two motors.
I just haven't had the chance to use that setup yet.
I also think Jim makes a great product, because I have used many of his
controllers without any problems.

Mike Golub
Fairbanks, AK

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I haven't adjusted my Curtis/Logisystem up grade since buying it.  It was a
> Curtis 120v 1221B model modified to go 144vdc.  The first one blew up.
>  Probably because of my bad wiring.  Jim at Logisystems replaced it.  It has
> been flawless for years.  Logisystems stands behind it's product.  The one
> they do now seems to be dependable.  It also has headroom in amps so you can
> cut it back and make it more dependable but still have 500 amps which is
> plenty for a light conversion.  Mine is 144vdc 700 amps at 2650 in weight.
>  Pretty zippy.  I can easily dust a RaV4 EV.  That's not saying much as they
> are pretty slow but I can also say it is faster than stock.  Just based on
> dependability I'd chose Logisystem.  As a customer I urged Jim to build his
> own controller as at the time there were few alternatives to Curtis. They
> also did put fan mounts on the controller which is a help in cooling.
>
>  One thing about the Altrax is you could use two Altrax 72v controllers &
> two A89 or L91 motors and have a pretty cheap and fast setup in a light
> conversion using one half the 144v pack for each motor and controller.
>  Lawrence Rhodes.....

Re: Controller Choices...

Bob Sisson
I think the $2K would be too steep for my project... Sorry

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD

Looks like Xmas is still here.... someone is going to get a gonga of a deal!

Rush
Tucson AZ

> I have a new controller that may be good for you.  It's a Zilla Z1K- HV
> that
> is still in the box and I am unable to use it because of circumstances
> that
> have made it difficult for me to continue my conversion.  It is HV model,
> and if I can sell it before the end of the year it would be a big
> advantage
> for me and so I'd be willing to sell for close to what you listed the
> Z1K-LV
> at.
>
> It would come with the 'P' model Hairball AND the HEPA pedal.  Also,
> product
> support would be there even though this would not be purchased directly
> from
> the manufacturer. I put one of these in a Porsche and it worked great.
> The
> HEPA pedal is especially nice!
> If you want to know more please contact me off-list at
>>[hidden email]<
> Good luck,
> Richard Rau

Re: Controller Choices...

Mike Willmon-3
I haven't had the pleasure of replacing a burnt controller.  But I have had to replace burnt motor parts.  That was painful enough,
but I couldn't have possibly spent more on the motor so I feel I did all I could.  Had I taken a financial shortcut and still broke
the motor I wouldn't let myself live it down :-(

Mike