Converting Willy's 4wd

njbrw549
The owner of the  farm where we get our vegetables from locally, Rancho
Piccolo has an old Willy's forward cab  truck that he wants to convert
to electric. He was asking me about what it would take to convert to run
for several hours a day on a charge. He plans to use it in the field
for hauling and other chores. It would be run at low speeds, less than
20mph. Is this doable and what would it take for motor and batteries?
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Converting Willy's 4wd

mark at evie-systems
The questions to ask are:

1. how many miles will he be driving
2. what is the curb weight of the vehicle
3. how much weight will he be adding to the vehicle when he's 'hauling'

Bill & Nancy wrote:

> The owner of the  farm where we get our vegetables from locally, Rancho
> Piccolo has an old Willy's forward cab  truck that he wants to convert
> to electric. He was asking me about what it would take to convert to run
> for several hours a day on a charge. He plans to use it in the field
> for hauling and other chores. It would be run at low speeds, less than
> 20mph. Is this doable and what would it take for motor and batteries?
> Thanks,
> Bill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.

Re: Converting Willy's 4wd

Zeke Yewdall
What is the current weight, weight capacity, and required cargo
capacity?  How many gallons of gasoline per day does it use now?  What
is the current engine?  Sounds like it's going to be used alot more
like an electric utility tractor than a road EV, which is probably
easier.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bill & Nancy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The owner of the  farm where we get our vegetables from locally, Rancho
> Piccolo has an old Willy's forward cab  truck that he wants to convert
> to electric. He was asking me about what it would take to convert to run
> for several hours a day on a charge. He plans to use it in the field
> for hauling and other chores. It would be run at low speeds, less than
> 20mph. Is this doable and what would it take for motor and batteries?
> Thanks,
> Bill

Re: Converting Willy's 4wd

njbrw549
Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> What is the current weight, weight capacity, and required cargo
> capacity?  How many gallons of gasoline per day does it use now?  What
> is the current engine?  Sounds like it's going to be used alot more
> like an electric utility tractor than a road EV, which is probably
> easier.

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bill & Nancy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The owner of the  farm where we get our vegetables from locally, Rancho
>> Piccolo has an old Willy's forward cab  truck that he wants to convert
>> to electric. He was asking me about what it would take to convert to run
>> for several hours a day on a charge. He plans to use it in the field
>> for hauling and other chores. It would be run at low speeds, less than
>> 20mph. Is this doable and what would it take for motor and batteries?
>> Thanks,
>> Bill

GVW approximately  7000lbs, it will be used off road for light hauling
around the farm. It has a 6cyl engine in it, froze up. Flatbed truck has
3 spd  tranny and 4:88 gear ratio. ( at Rancho Piccolo  Silveira Farms,
Merced CA)
Bill

Re: Converting Willy's 4wd

Zeke Yewdall
One of these? http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_willys_fc.php

What I'd probably do is a 9" ADC (or Warp9, whichever has higher
torque per amp) to the original transmission, a relatively small
controller (500 or 750 amp Logisystems or Curtiss?), and a 96 volt
bank of L16 batteries -- about 2,000lbs, 35kWh (more like 25kW due to
puekert).  You're never going to be using that much power or going
very fast, but you will be demanding pretty high torque from the
motor.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Bill & Nancy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>> What is the current weight, weight capacity, and required cargo
>> capacity?  How many gallons of gasoline per day does it use now?  What
>> is the current engine?  Sounds like it's going to be used alot more
>> like an electric utility tractor than a road EV, which is probably
>> easier.

>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Bill & Nancy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The owner of the  farm where we get our vegetables from locally, Rancho
>>> Piccolo has an old Willy's forward cab  truck that he wants to convert
>>> to electric. He was asking me about what it would take to convert to run
>>> for several hours a day on a charge. He plans to use it in the field
>>> for hauling and other chores. It would be run at low speeds, less than
>>> 20mph. Is this doable and what would it take for motor and batteries?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill

> GVW approximately  7000lbs, it will be used off road for light hauling
> around the farm. It has a 6cyl engine in it, froze up. Flatbed truck has
> 3 spd  tranny and 4:88 gear ratio. ( at Rancho Piccolo  Silveira Farms,
> Merced CA)
> Bill

Re: Converting Willy's 4wd

njbrw549
That's how he described it, but his sounds rough, no doors a blown
engine and needs to rebuild flat bed.
I will pass the information on.
Thanks,
Bill