Quantcast

Converting a Tesla S to a solar vehicle.

Converting a Tesla S to a solar vehicle.

After looking at the design of solar vehicles for a few years I have found it is a numbers game.  If you look at the battery frame and all parts of the S model it's designed to come in at around 4600 pounds.  What if we reduced the battery to 25 to 30 kw.  Used smaller tires and wheels. Lower body with a 3kw solar panel. If you could get the weight down to 1700-2000 pounds you would still have a range of 300 to 400 miles.  To get the range needed for the S model they used more batteries.  What if the mind set was to make a light efficient vehicle instead?  To fit the the solar panels it would have to have a  20 foot long roof with a width of 7 feet.  This might be a good size for a small RV.  In any case there are aluminum RV's that are just a little bigger that weigh 3000 pounds.  At that weight we are looking at 100 miles range.  So getting weight down is essential. I think it could be done with a lightened Tesla skateboard.  I'd be surprised if someone doesn't just do it with a wrecked S.  Just spit balling.  Still focused(mostly) on the solar trike project.  Lawrence Rhodes