Converting an F-150

Dirk Ouellette
I am wondering when batteries will be available that will get me much
more than the current 40 or so miles on a single charge for my Ford
F150. I can convert the truck now, but not without a 200 or so mile range.
Thanks and hoping,
Dirk

Re: Converting an F-150

cowtown
> I am wondering when batteries will be available that will get me
> much more than the current 40 or so miles on a single charge for my
> Ford F150. I can convert the truck now, but not without a 200 or so
> mile range.
> Thanks and hoping,
> Dirk

Are you sure you need an F150 and do you really need to go 200 miles
between charging opportunities? If it is yes to both, I think you will
be waiting a very long time (i.e. your F150 will be an older model),
or spending a very large amount of money (which you would already be
doing by now). Biodiesel might be more accessible.

Re: Converting an F-150

Lock Hughes
OK, so Dirk...
Good news!
They're available now (along with BMS etc as necessary), given your
unlimited budget...
<grin>
lOck
Living better electrically in Toronto

--- Dirk Ouellette <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering when batteries will be available that will get me much
> more than the current 40 or so miles on a single charge for my Ford
> F150. I can convert the truck now, but not without a 200 or so mile
> range.
> Thanks and hoping,
> Dirk

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

Re: Converting an F-150

Zeke Yewdall
Considering that my dad's F100 only has a 190 mile range on
gasoline.... not the most efficient vehicle unless you need to haul
alot of stuff -- and you'd likely use up all the cargo capacity with
batteries, and not have room for cargo anyway.  It doesn't sound like
it's necessarily the best conversion choice... on the other hand, it's
not much different than a 1 ton van, and there are a few of those
running around on electric....

I guess it depends on your budget -- if you could afford NiCad or
Lions, an 80 to 100 mile range is probably doable now.  If your budget
restricts you to lead acid... 40 miles might be it.

On 27 Nov 2007 at 19:06, Dirk Ouellette wrote:

> I am wondering when batteries will be available that will get me much
> more than the current 40 or so miles on a single charge ...

<tongue in cheek>

About 2-3 years from now.

Ask again in 2-3 years and the answer will be the same.

</tongue in cheek>

Cynical?  Maybe, but I've been hanging around this stuff for 20 years (with
a side interest in it for 20 more).  The "better battery" has ALWAYS been
about 2-3 years from commercialization and/or affordability.  I'm hopeful
about lithium now, but 10 years ago I had hope for NiMH, and 20+ years ago
for nickel-iron.  Time will tell.

In the meantime, we have decent, reasonably cost-effective lead batteries.
They will get you on the road electrically and will be good "training
wheels" for whatever battery may be available in the future.

BTW, 40 miles isn't necessarily a brick wall.  The Red Beastie did over 100
miles faily easily.  It had a LOT of batteries, though, and they didn't
start with a heavy F150.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/037.html

Re: Converting an F-150

(-Phil-)
One of the good things about the way my 1-ton van is setup, is that the
batteries are mounted below the floor, thus not impeding on the
cargo/passenger space.  I can still carry almost 1000lbs without exceeding
GVWR.

But then, I won't see 200 mile range either!

-Phil
> Considering that my dad's F100 only has a 190 mile range on
> gasoline.... not the most efficient vehicle unless you need to haul
> alot of stuff -- and you'd likely use up all the cargo capacity with
> batteries, and not have room for cargo anyway.  It doesn't sound like
> it's necessarily the best conversion choice... on the other hand, it's
> not much different than a 1 ton van, and there are a few of those
> running around on electric....
>
> I guess it depends on your budget -- if you could afford NiCad or
> Lions, an 80 to 100 mile range is probably doable now.  If your budget
> restricts you to lead acid... 40 miles might be it.

> On Nov 27, 2007 9:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I am wondering when batteries will be available that will get me
>> > much more than the current 40 or so miles on a single charge for my
>> > Ford F150. I can convert the truck now, but not without a 200 or so
>> > mile range.
>> > Thanks and hoping,
>> > Dirk
>>
>> Are you sure you need an F150 and do you really need to go 200 miles
>> between charging opportunities? If it is yes to both, I think you will
>> be waiting a very long time (i.e. your F150 will be an older model),
>> or spending a very large amount of money (which you would already be
>> doing by now). Biodiesel might be more accessible.

Re: Converting an F-150

Dan Frederiksen-2
David Roden wrote:
> In the meantime, we have decent, reasonably cost-effective lead batteries.

I'm not sure your cost view on lithium vs lead is up to date. what do
you pay for a lead pack and what capacity is that?
I take it you buy deep cycle?

Dan

Re: Converting an F-150

Bob Rice-2
    Hi EVerybody;

   I think those beasty type Ford Vans are a good candidate for conversion,
they are SO common, lottsa parts around, dead ones to pik on in Junque
Yards. You can get away from stock golf kart BAdd-eries and go with those
big Floor Sweeper ones. Height isn't too much of an issue IF ya put them in
the center of the "bed and cover them up so ya still have a cargo area, just
higher.I have carried 30 or so GC batteri in mine and it handles fine.What
if ya went with about 150 volts of Sweeper batteri?

   Or, the hell! With it, do a Red Beastie, and you will have yur range, but
no cargo capacity.Vans beat the shit out of pickups as they will swallow a
BIG load of crap, AND keep it dry, too.

   Seeya

   Bob