Crazy idea.

Lawrence Rhodes
I'm having a hell of a time selling my Aspire for the cost of the parts.  Nobody likes the car.  It's a bit old at 94(with airbags) with just under a hundred k on the body.  Drive train including transmission has 12k.  I thought I'd take out the ev parts except the motor adapter and sell it for a thousand dollars.  Then someone could just put in their own parts.  The adapter is only good for an Aspire with an ADC so limited appeal.  Anyone want the Aspire cheap.  I'll use the controller and motor in another project but nobody will EVen pay 4000 dollars which is 2/3rds the price of the parts.  It's ready to go just ad batteries but no body wants to touch it for a reasonable amount.  Last call.  I may just junk it.  It's a shame all the work I put in will go to waste.  I'm tired paying insurance for a car I barely drive.  It'll do 70 in third gear easy. If I had 6k I'd put a new pack in but I don't.   Lawrence

Re: Crazy idea.

Ben Weinberg
How do I get a log in for the private section so I can see this?  I can log into the list site.

On Apr 29, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having a hell of a time selling my Aspire for the cost of the parts.  Nobody likes the car.  It's a bit old at 94(with airbags) with just under a hundred k on the body.  Drive train including transmission has 12k.  I thought I'd take out the ev parts except the motor adapter and sell it for a thousand dollars.  Then someone could just put in their own parts.  The adapter is only good for an Aspire with an ADC so limited appeal.  Anyone want the Aspire cheap.  I'll use the controller and motor in another project but nobody will EVen pay 4000 dollars which is 2/3rds the price of the parts.  It's ready to go just ad batteries but no body wants to touch it for a reasonable amount.  Last call.  I may just junk it.  It's a shame all the work I put in will go to waste.  I'm tired paying insurance for a car I barely drive.  It'll do 70 in third gear easy. If I had 6k I'd put a new pack in but I don't.   Lawrence

Re: Crazy idea.

Cor van de Water
Ben,
You can see Lawrence's car on the San Francisco Craigslist.
Please note that their ads time out after 14 days, so if you want
to keep it for reference then you must save it on your computer.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/4441459370.html

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

How do I get a log in for the private section so I can see this?  I can log into the list site.

On Apr 29, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm having a hell of a time selling my Aspire for the cost of the parts.  Nobody likes the car.  It's a bit old at 94(with airbags) with just under a hundred k on the body.  Drive train including transmission has 12k.  I thought I'd take out the ev parts except the motor adapter and sell it for a thousand dollars.  Then someone could just put in their own parts.  The adapter is only good for an Aspire with an ADC so limited appeal.  Anyone want the Aspire cheap.  I'll use the controller and motor in another project but nobody will EVen pay 4000 dollars which is 2/3rds the price of the parts.  It's ready to go just ad batteries but no body wants to touch it for a reasonable amount.  Last call.  I may just junk it.  It's a shame all the work I put in will go to waste.  I'm tired paying insurance for a car I barely drive.  It'll do 70 in third gear easy. If I had 6k I'd put a new pack in but I don't.   Lawrence

Re: Crazy idea.

EV professor
You are caught in the "It is a used car" evaluation mentality. Let us
consider the vehicle, as you stated it is a 1994 model and that makes it 20
years old, and you are trying to sell it without a motor. Asking $1,000
when the used market says with original engine and running it is worth $200
to $250. and it gets worse, with a motor and controller and bad battery it
may bring $50 to $500 and with a good battery pack you pay $5,000 for, it
will only be worth $1,500 if you can find an EV enthusiast.  It is worth
more as parts. and scrap the body and frame and that will get you $150 to
$200. Everything but the electric motor has depreciated down to salvage or
scrap value. ($0.10 a pound approx.) You can get about 1/3 of it value of
your Income Tax if you donate the "Hulk" to a charity in some states ...
but you have to get them to accept it. (Ask your tax advisor....) I use a
rental return two years old and sell the gas engine and automatic trans,
and with a motor and controller and 100 mile battery we sell them for 1/2 a
new hybrid's price and the bargain is the car is depreciated over 2/3 down
in price in two years use and 30 to 40 thousand miles. Also we buy
wholesale and that is 50% to 75 % of retail selling pride at a used car
dealership.

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>

   *Phone #* *(863) 944-9913*

Dade City, Florida 33523

 USA

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Ben Weinberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I get a log in for the private section so I can see this?  I can
> log into the list site.
>
> On Apr 29, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm having a hell of a time selling my Aspire for the cost of the parts.
>  Nobody likes the car.  It's a bit old at 94(with airbags) with just under
> a hundred k on the body.  Drive train including transmission has 12k.  I
> thought I'd take out the ev parts except the motor adapter and sell it for
> a thousand dollars.  Then someone could just put in their own parts.  The
> adapter is only good for an Aspire with an ADC so limited appeal.  Anyone
> want the Aspire cheap.  I'll use the controller and motor in another
> project but nobody will EVen pay 4000 dollars which is 2/3rds the price of
> the parts.  It's ready to go just ad batteries but no body wants to touch
> it for a reasonable amount.  Last call.  I may just junk it.  It's a shame
> all the work I put in will go to waste.  I'm tired paying insurance for a
> car I barely drive.  It'll do 70 in third gear easy. If I had 6k I'd put a
> new pack in but I don't.   Lawrence

Re: Crazy idea.

jerry freedomev
Hi Lawrence, Dennis and All,

             Yes it's why I always say use a more exciting car like an older small  BMW, a Porshe 924-944 . Miata, etc.

             But if you like it best might be setting it aside for a yr while Leaf, Volt batteries flood the market becoming cheaper than lead and low cost BMS solutions are available.

              With a Leaf pack, some body mods for aero, looks, nice paint  you could have a 150 mile range EV for under $3k more than you have now.  Then I bet you'll get $15k for it or more.  Or just keep it as a cool long range EV.

              In fact many older EV's like RX-7's, old mini pickups with aero mods, Corvettes, etc will be outstanding with Leaf/Volt packs at a lead battery cost but 3x's the range.

                Life is about to become very nice for EV hobbists, custom EV builders finally able to get cost effective long range lightweight battery packs at recycled prices

                I suggest EV's, listees watch locally for totaled Leafs/Volts when they come up for auction and either buy it, part it out or let others know to buy them..   Fact is with bad front end damage these have little market other than us so buying them, parting out the good stuff like batteries, motors, transaxles/suspensions, tires could be sold cheap and still make a 100% profit.  No reason for the used Leaf battery cells to be over $50 each/$100/khr as lots of profit at that price.

               So how about starting a network connecting those with them with those who need them and where totaled ones are so we can make our EV's better than OEM's again?  I'll be happy to buy, sell ones from my Tampa area, joining the auction, CoParts in my case with alerts when they come up.  What do you all think about that?

                                                       Jerry Dycus