Custom Elithion BMS Display

corbin dunn
Hi All,
I finished this project a few weeks ago, but I had trouble getting on this list. I shared this on DIYElectriccar but wanted to post it here too.

I made a custom 2.2" TFT display for my Elithion BMS:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2012/11/elithion-bms-display-part-3-pictures/

It has a few modes so far. The normal one shows SOC, amps in/out, and a charge time estimate. A more detailed page shows all cell levels:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2012/11/bms-display-part-4-graph/

It is quite cool to watch when you accelerate hard and all the cells drop.

I also have a general post on making it, including a reference to the source code (a work in progress):

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/2012/11/how-to-make-an-elithion-bms-display/

corbin

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

Rush Dougherty
Very Nice Corbin.

I find Sketchup a very quick and easy way of making up a proof of concept
drawing in 3D when it doesn't need to be in Solidworks or another CNC
readable program.

And your translation of Davide's BMS to a Display is well done.

I personally would like to be able to replace the dash board with a bunch of
LCD's or even one big one that would have all the necessary info on it. I'm
going to be starting on my Insight conversion soon and wish I had the
electrical knowledge and expertise to accomplish that.

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

mizlplix
I have an Ipad I would like to imbed in my dash board, but there is a lack
of apple apps to monitor ev systems.

miz

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Rush Dougherty <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Very Nice Corbin.
>
> I find Sketchup a very quick and easy way of making up a proof of concept
> drawing in 3D when it doesn't need to be in Solidworks or another CNC
> readable program.
>
> And your translation of Davide's BMS to a Display is well done.
>
> I personally would like to be able to replace the dash board with a bunch
> of
> LCD's or even one big one that would have all the necessary info on it. I'm
> going to be starting on my Insight conversion soon and wish I had the
> electrical knowledge and expertise to accomplish that.
>
> Rush
> www.TucsonEV.com

"The more you look, The more you find."

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

James Massey-2
At 07:01 PM 11/12/2012, you wrote:
>I have an Ipad I would like to imbed in my dash board, but there is a lack
>of apple apps to monitor ev systems.

If you have a Zilla, a guy locally has done some software to talk to
it wirelessly... on an Android.

If anyone is interested I can ask him if he is willing to share

regards

[Technik] James

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

corbin dunn
Hi Miz,
Initially my idea was to use an iPad, but I quickly realized it was not practical, unless you want to dedicate that iPad to always be mounted in the car and never be removed. Otherwise, it is a big pain to drive the car when you forget your iPad in the house, and rely on it for critical information. I think it works quite well to have a small dedicated LCD to show the pertinent information.

But having said that, programming an iPad in UIKIt would have been soooo much easier for me to do. Except that it is quite hard to directly read CanBUS information from iOS.

corbin

On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Dean Borchert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an Ipad I would like to imbed in my dash board, but there is a lack
> of apple apps to monitor ev systems.
>
> miz
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Rush Dougherty <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Very Nice Corbin.
>>
>> I find Sketchup a very quick and easy way of making up a proof of concept
>> drawing in 3D when it doesn't need to be in Solidworks or another CNC
>> readable program.
>>
>> And your translation of Davide's BMS to a Display is well done.
>>
>> I personally would like to be able to replace the dash board with a bunch
>> of
>> LCD's or even one big one that would have all the necessary info on it. I'm
>> going to be starting on my Insight conversion soon and wish I had the
>> electrical knowledge and expertise to accomplish that.
>>
>> Rush
>> www.TucsonEV.com

EVDL Administrator
On 11 Dec 2012 at 9:02, corbin dunn wrote:

> Initially my idea was to use an iPad, but I quickly realized it was not
> practical, unless you want to dedicate that iPad to always be mounted in the
> car and never be removed

I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this is
ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be pretty
cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to recall
going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet for
$80 or $90.

I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have. Again,
I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and relieve
your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?

On Dec 11, 2012, at 9:17 AM, "EVDL Administrator" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2012 at 9:02, corbin dunn wrote:
>
>> Initially my idea was to use an iPad, but I quickly realized it was not
>> practical, unless you want to dedicate that iPad to always be mounted in the
>> car and never be removed
>
> I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this is
> ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
> are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be pretty
> cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to recall
> going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet for
> $80 or $90.
>
> I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have. Again,
> I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
> integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and relieve
> your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
> closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?

Yeah, but those are Android :). That means you'd have to deal with that OS which I have no experience with (but I have a lot of iOS experience). Android is more open..so doing bluetooth and/or direct connection to Canbus would be easier.

For iPhones/iPads, they have internal temperature sensors to prevent damage due to running too hot. I don't know about androids.

corbin

> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

Peri Hartman
I don't know anything about iOS programming but I will testify that the
Android learning curve is steep.  For that, though, you do get a lot of
flexibility.  As for temperature, that would depend on each manufacturer's
specs. The $40 model might fry when you touch it :)

Peri

On Dec 11, 2012, at 9:17 AM, "EVDL Administrator" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2012 at 9:02, corbin dunn wrote:
>
>> Initially my idea was to use an iPad, but I quickly realized it was not
>> practical, unless you want to dedicate that iPad to always be mounted in
the
>> car and never be removed
>
> I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this is

> ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
> are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be
pretty
> cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to
recall
> going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet
for
> $80 or $90.
>
> I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have.
Again,
> I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
> integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and
relieve
> your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
> closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?

Yeah, but those are Android :). That means you'd have to deal with that OS
which I have no experience with (but I have a lot of iOS experience).
Android is more open..so doing bluetooth and/or direct connection to Canbus
would be easier.

For iPhones/iPads, they have internal temperature sensors to prevent damage
due to running too hot. I don't know about androids.

corbin

> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

David Ladd
>________________________________
> From: corbin dunn <[hidden email]>

>Yeah, but those are Android :). That means you'd have to deal with that OS which I have no experience with (but I have a lot of iOS experience). Android is more open..so doing bluetooth and/or direct connection to Canbus would be easier.
>
>For iPhones/iPads, they have internal temperature sensors to prevent damage due to running too hot. I don't know about androids.
>
>corbin

I use a DroidX running the EMW version of the EVDisplay (bluetooth connection) on my dashboard.  I've never had it shut down directly due to heat, but have had it shut off the charging due to heat in the summer, which then leads to a shut down when the battery dies.  The phone is now around 2 years old, and the battery is pretty weak (probably 50% of what it was new).  I suspect this is from running it so hot so often in the car.  It pulls a lot of power (heat) keeping the display running full time, and gets direct sunlight up on the dash.

Personally I've found that the removable phone/tablet works fine for me.  In 90% or so of my driving, I don't bother to connect it.  I only use it if I'm having fun (pulling lots of amps and want to see how much) or running low on SOC and want to keep an eye on my Ah.  In normal driving, I just drive.  There are plenty of safeguards built into my car (in the controller and the MiniBMS) that I don't really worry about harming anything, and my daily driving distances usually keep me away from the bottom of my capacity.

david.
http://www.evalbum.com/4021

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

Collin Kidder
The biggest problem with the cheaper android tablets is that they're not
guaranteed to have bluetooth. Some of them might but it's not certain. The
cheaper canbus dongles use bluetooth to interface. You can buy canbus to
wifi dongles but they are more money. Also, it is getting better now but
the cheaper tablets used to use resistive screens which isn't quite so
desirable.

How to keep them from being stolen? I guess you can either make or buy a
docking mount (they do make them, at least for more expensive tablets) or
bury it in the dash with a lot of custom work. Electronics devices do tend
to be able to handle a bit of heat but being directly in sunlight for hours
might scorch a tablet or phone. I guess that's the big thing that car
companies have to deal with that normal electronics manufacturers don't.

I'm planning to use a 10" android tablet as the dash in a vehicle I'm
working on but I'm not to the stage to worry much about it yet.

On 11 Dec 2012 at 12:46, Collin Kidder wrote:

> Electronics devices do tend to be
> able to handle a bit of heat but being directly in sunlight for hours might
> scorch a tablet or phone.

I'm not so much concerned about when the vehicle is operating, as when it's
parked.  I've read that temperatures inside a closed car can go 35-50 deg F
over outdoor temperatures.  On a 110 degree New Mexico day, that could be
160 degrees inside the car.

Come to that, though, I used to carry a cheap calculator in my car.  It
survived the summer heat for years.  On the hottest days when I took it out
of the glove box the LCD display was all black, but it went back to normal
as it cooled.  So maybe it's not a problem unless the tablet is trying to
run and overheating its processor.

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

Hart Penn
I've been designing and tinkering in this area with Android and Arduino for
the past couple of years. Developing displays for Android is not easy but it
can be done. I've found the best way to integrate the Android (or iPad) is
with Bluetooth.  I have a split pack like most of us here and have an
Arduino monitoring each pack half and communicate using the Arduino CAN-bus
shields in a master-slave configuration.  The master Arduino monitoring the
front pack also has a Bluetooth device off of its prototyping shield that
talks to the Android. Here's a link to my blog where I talk about my design:
http://hartpenn.blogspot.com/2011/07/digital-dashboard-aka-evfuelgauge.html.
It's a little outdated now and will add a new blog updating the design soon
but you'll get the general design approach.

The way I have my console configured is I have an area where three gauges
used to be and is now a platform/easyl for my 7" Samsung Android tablet.
That way, I can just drop it in when I get in the car and pair up the
Bluetooth devices and drive away. Then just pick it up and take it with me
when I get out. Since it is cellular capable (3G I'm guessing), I thinking
of having it upload vital statistics to a server so I can get to it from the
Web or an App. Here's a link to a pic of my console with the tablet:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5rtqolfDfGQgpDeUDgWK19MTjNZETYmyPJy0li
ipFm0?feat=directlink.

If you haven't seen it yet, Dimitri Butvinik and Electric Motor Works have
teamed up to develop the EMW EV Android Dashboard seen here
http://www.emotorwerks.com/emw3/product/ev-dashboard-by-emw-basic-edition/.
It uses Dmitri's EV Display amperage/voltage sampling circuit with a
bluetooth smart controller and almost any Android with Bluetooth capability.

>> Initially my idea was to use an iPad, but I quickly realized it was
>> not practical, unless you want to dedicate that iPad to always be
>> mounted in the car and never be removed

>I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this is
ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores >around here
are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be pretty
cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" >version that I seem to
recall going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7"
tablet for
>$80 or $90.

>I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have. Again,
I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make >them look
integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and relieve
your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how >do you keep summer
closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?

Cheers,
Hart
http://www.evalbum.com/3402
http://hartpenn.blogspot.com

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

echevy
I'm working on a Perl/Tk program to display a bar graph from the serial streaming data output from the Elithion BMS.  I may eventually switch to TCL/Tk, but for now, I'm trying to figure out threading in Perl so that I can continuously collect data from the serial port while the Tk is running and updating the bar graph.  I have a mini ITX board in a carputer chassis behind the drivers seat running Ubuntu Linux and a Xenarc VGA touch screen that will fit in the 2xDIN slot where the radio used to be in the dash of my S10.  The perl program will run in the Linux box.  I can also run the Perl program in a PC, with some modifications.  The hardware costs are very modest for this system. There are USB radios available also so I can still have a radio.  The graphic eq I've added to the stereo will allow me to plug in an Ipod also, and the carputer has a CD drive as well.  Out in the future, I will switch to CAN bus, since the Rinehart Motion AC inverter and the BMS both talk CAN.  I
 've already got the CAN cable installed.  I would just need to get a USB to CAN interface, which are much more expensive than an RS232/USB adapter and change the communications part of the Perl program.

Paul Wallace
'94 Chevy S10 USElectricar still in rebuild mode

Paul Wallace
USElectricar S10 upgraded

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

Chris Tromley
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this is
> ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
> are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be pretty
> cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to
> recall
> going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet
> for
> $80 or $90.
>
> I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have. Again,
> I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
> integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and relieve
> your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
> closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?

All pertinent concerns.  If you're a hobbyist and just want something to
function, you can probably get a tablet or phone to do the job.  However if
you want a proper solution, you need to consider trouble-free viewing in
direct sunlight.  That means you need to make sure the lighting in the
device is up to snuff.  You'll probably need to help it out with a *proper*
integration into the dash, including position, orientation and shading.
 Automatic brightness adjustment for nighttime use too.  If you're
displaying critical info, is your device lighting redundant?

The other part of proper integration is that it stays in place in the event
of a crash.  Cell phones have killed people just from flying around the
cabin.

Chris
LeSled is for sale!
http://www.evalbum.com/274

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

mizlplix
The Custom guys have been integrating tablets into dashboards for a long
time.

They look OEM too.

They are hard wired and would require a chainsaw to remove.

If you want to read in sun light, use a kindle.  The price is not too bad,
but I am not a software guy...

Miz

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Chris Tromley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this
> is
> > ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
> > are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be
> pretty
> > cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to
> > recall
> > going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet
> > for
> > $80 or $90.
> >
> > I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have.
> Again,
> > I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
> > integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and
> relieve
> > your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
> > closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?
>

> All pertinent concerns.  If you're a hobbyist and just want something to
> function, you can probably get a tablet or phone to do the job.  However if
> you want a proper solution, you need to consider trouble-free viewing in
> direct sunlight.  That means you need to make sure the lighting in the
> device is up to snuff.  You'll probably need to help it out with a *proper*
> integration into the dash, including position, orientation and shading.
>  Automatic brightness adjustment for nighttime use too.  If you're
> displaying critical info, is your device lighting redundant?
>
> The other part of proper integration is that it stays in place in the event
> of a crash.  Cell phones have killed people just from flying around the
> cabin.
>
> Chris
> LeSled is for sale!
> http://www.evalbum.com/274

"The more you look, The more you find."

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

mizlplix
Greetings:

For the past year, there has been a group of people studying AC propulsion
systems.  They all eventually noticed the huge gap in the AC motor
offerings.

The present AC50 and soon to be AC75 are the top of the "lower" cost
systems out there for DIY people.

Among this study group, are engineers, scientist types and some talented
machinist /fabricators, as well as people like me (I'm more like a swiss
army knife).

They have decided to work out the methodology and materials required to do
a DIY motor customization.  Their findings, so far, are really simple and
cheap.  We include controller optimization programming also.

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/mizlplix/SAM_0181.jpg[/IMG]

We have started a new forum dedicated to sharing this information to the
DIY crowd.            [url]www.ivanbennett.com/forum/[/url]

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/mizlplix/spline2.jpg[/IMG]

So, anyone really interested in making their own AC propulsion motor is
encouraged to view, ask questions and contribute to the discussion.

The forum is only 2 days old at this date, so please be patient, contribute
and help us grow.

 TYVM,   Miz

--
"The more you look, The more you find."

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

damon henry
I have to call BS on this one.  Can you cite a credible source of a loose cell phone killing a person in a car crash?  I know in theory any loose article can become a projectile, but cell phones are not usually in a position where they are going to impact someone in a critical area like their head and they are usually pretty low mass.  The violence of the collision required seems much more likely to do the real damage.  Plus, if the cell phone is being used as instrumentation all the inertia is going the wrong direction as the cell phone is likely forward of the driver and all the passengers.

damon

> The other part of proper integration is that it stays in place in the event
> of a crash. Cell phones have killed people just from flying around the
> cabin.
>
> Chris
> LeSled is for sale!
> http://www.evalbum.com/274

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

corbin dunn
Hey Miz,
Have any good pictures of some?

Also...but a long time, you mean two years? :) -- that's how long touchscreen tablets have been out (the iPad was the first true one). There were other touch screen devices...but they were all rather horrible before iOS and Android.

corbin

On Dec 11, 2012, at 6:59 PM, Dean Borchert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Custom guys have been integrating tablets into dashboards for a long
> time.
>
> They look OEM too.
>
> They are hard wired and would require a chainsaw to remove.
>
> If you want to read in sun light, use a kindle.  The price is not too bad,
> but I am not a software guy...
>
> Miz
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Chris Tromley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not a pad person (or even a pod person for that matter), so if this
>> is
>>> ignorant just ... ignore me.  But the bargain closeout stores around here
>>> are selling off-brand (Android?) tablets for what appear to me to be
>> pretty
>>> cheap prices - well under $100.  There is a 4" version that I seem to
>>> recall
>>> going for something like $40 or $50, and just recently I saw a 7" tablet
>>> for
>>> $80 or $90.
>>>
>>> I suppose these have some of the same challenges an Ipad would have.
>> Again,
>>> I'm no expert, but it occurs to me - first, how do you make them look
>>> integrated so the bad guy doesn't come along, bust your window, and
>> relieve
>>> your car of its instrument panel?  And, second, how do you keep summer
>>> closed-car temperatures from destroying or damaging your tablet?
>>

>> All pertinent concerns.  If you're a hobbyist and just want something to
>> function, you can probably get a tablet or phone to do the job.  However if
>> you want a proper solution, you need to consider trouble-free viewing in
>> direct sunlight.  That means you need to make sure the lighting in the
>> device is up to snuff.  You'll probably need to help it out with a *proper*
>> integration into the dash, including position, orientation and shading.
>> Automatic brightness adjustment for nighttime use too.  If you're
>> displaying critical info, is your device lighting redundant?
>>
>> The other part of proper integration is that it stays in place in the event
>> of a crash.  Cell phones have killed people just from flying around the
>> cabin.
>>
>> Chris
>> LeSled is for sale!
>> http://www.evalbum.com/274

> "The more you look, The more you find."

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

corbin dunn
Awesome Miz! I like the shot on the mill cutting the keyway slot.

-corbin

On Dec 12, 2012, at 6:04 AM, Dean Borchert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings:
>

> For the past year, there has been a group of people studying AC propulsion
> systems.  They all eventually noticed the huge gap in the AC motor
> offerings.
>
> The present AC50 and soon to be AC75 are the top of the "lower" cost
> systems out there for DIY people.
>
> Among this study group, are engineers, scientist types and some talented
> machinist /fabricators, as well as people like me (I'm more like a swiss
> army knife).
>
> They have decided to work out the methodology and materials required to do
> a DIY motor customization.  Their findings, so far, are really simple and
> cheap.  We include controller optimization programming also.
>
> [IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/mizlplix/SAM_0181.jpg[/IMG]
>
> We have started a new forum dedicated to sharing this information to the
> DIY crowd.            [url]www.ivanbennett.com/forum/[/url]
>

> [IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/mizlplix/spline2.jpg[/IMG]
>
> So, anyone really interested in making their own AC propulsion motor is
> encouraged to view, ask questions and contribute to the discussion.
>
> The forum is only 2 days old at this date, so please be patient, contribute
> and help us grow.
>
> TYVM,   Miz
>

> --
> "The more you look, The more you find."

Re: Custom Elithion BMS Display

mizlplix
Heh..In the world of custom cars, even 6 Mos. is a long time...

I remember an Acura was deccoed up to look like a BMW.  It had the AC
cluster relocated and an Ipad embedded into the dash.  They used dremmels,
epoxy, Bondo and paint.  It looked factory.

The driver had Wi-Fi, internet, touch screen, News, Traffic reports,
everything especially during the morning rush hour jamb (when it was dark).

I wonder how it worked in the PM commute home after sitting in the sun all
day?  AND in the bright afternoon sun light?

But in the AutoRama, It was a wonder.

Miz