DC/DC 288v to 12v

John Mogelnicki
Anyone running a IOTA 240-55 to convert 288 volts DC to 12-14volts?
I hear this is a good converter to use even though it's originally built for
240AC it will work with up to 300volts DC.
I'm running 24 12 volt batteries and want to run it as 288 instead of 144x2
(in parallel).
Thanks,
John

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v

(-Phil-)
It should handle up to 320 w/o a problem.  You gotta watch it though, as
your charging voltage could hit 350.  I think that's still ok, but you
should check with Iota to be sure.

Worst-case scenario is you put it on a relay (maybe a couple for proper
precharge) that interlocks so it cannot be on during charging.

-Phil
http://evalbum.com/1413

> Anyone running a IOTA 240-55 to convert 288 volts DC to 12-14volts?
> I hear this is a good converter to use even though it's originally built
> for
> 240AC it will work with up to 300volts DC.
> I'm running 24 12 volt batteries and want to run it as 288 instead of
> 144x2
> (in parallel).
> Thanks,
> John

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v

storm connors
I have the 120-55 on my 144v pack. On the advice of Lee, I hooked it
up on the motor side of my negative contactor so it only goes on when
the key is on. Lee said leaving it on 13.8 v float was bad for it. I
am trying to find the plug that makes the charger go to 14.5v. It
appears to be a RJ-11 phone jack, but I don't know which pins are
wired together.

Anyway, this keeps it away from charging voltages. I may have to put
in an override switch if the battery isn't being charged long enough.
Note to self: put a timer on it if you do this!

--
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v

Zeke Yewdall
There is an addon you can get for the Iotas which turns them into a 3
stage charger, instead of a fixed voltage supply.  That might work for
you you want.

On Dec 24, 2007 9:25 AM, storm connors <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have the 120-55 on my 144v pack. On the advice of Lee, I hooked it
> up on the motor side of my negative contactor so it only goes on when
> the key is on. Lee said leaving it on 13.8 v float was bad for it. I
> am trying to find the plug that makes the charger go to 14.5v. It
> appears to be a RJ-11 phone jack, but I don't know which pins are
> wired together.
>
> Anyway, this keeps it away from charging voltages. I may have to put
> in an override switch if the battery isn't being charged long enough.
> Note to self: put a timer on it if you do this!
>
> On Dec 24, 2007 9:52 AM, ( Phil ) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It should handle up to 320 w/o a problem.  You gotta watch it though, as
> > your charging voltage could hit 350.  I think that's still ok, but you
> > should check with Iota to be sure.
> >
> --
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
> http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
> Storm

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v

Hello Storm,

I am just looking at one of the RJ-11 plugs for the IOTA DC-DC converter and
the wire jumpers are as follows:

Holding the plug with the snap in holding clip on the top, there is four
contact terminals I will number 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 from left to right on the wire
entry facing you.

There is a green wire jumper from 1 to 3.

There is a black wire jumper from 2 to 4.

> I have the 120-55 on my 144v pack. On the advice of Lee, I hooked it
> up on the motor side of my negative contactor so it only goes on when
> the key is on. Lee said leaving it on 13.8 v float was bad for it. I
> am trying to find the plug that makes the charger go to 14.5v. It
> appears to be a RJ-11 phone jack, but I don't know which pins are
> wired together.
>
> Anyway, this keeps it away from charging voltages. I may have to put
> in an override switch if the battery isn't being charged long enough.
> Note to self: put a timer on it if you do this!
>
> On Dec 24, 2007 9:52 AM, ( Phil ) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It should handle up to 320 w/o a problem.  You gotta watch it though, as
> > your charging voltage could hit 350.  I think that's still ok, but you
> > should check with Iota to be sure.
> >
> --
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059
> http://stormselectric.blogspot.com/
> Storm

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v

Adrian DeLeon
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:00:25 -0800, "storm connors" wrote:

> I am trying to find the plug that makes the charger go to 14.5v. It
> appears to be a RJ-11 phone jack, but I don't know which pins are
> wired together.

It sounds like those 4 pins can be used to control the voltage output in a
more complex manner than 13.6V to 14.5V, the smart charger modules plug
into those pins...

Here's a copy of an e-mail from Iota:

Mr. DeLeon

Trust me, you aren't the first person to lose that little plug.  The pin
out
is 1-3 and 2-4.  About your second question, John Drake is one of our
distributors.  He would be the best person to talk about applications in
EVs.  His contact info is 1-562-423-4879.  Hope that helps out and have a
good day.

Bob Shreve
Iota Engineering

Re: DC/DC 288v to 12v