DC/DC converters 10% off

Jay Summet
I just got the following email from Jameco electronics.

http://www.jameco.com/

"We'll take 10% off your entire order when you purchase at least $25
from our Power or Battery categories*. Just place your order on or
before May 11, 2012 and be sure to use OFFER CODE PAB03145E."

They sell such items as the Meanwell 350 watt 12 volt DC/DC converter
for $120, and with a 10% discount that would be very affordable:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?freeText=meanwell+350d-12&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=2107207&search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

Jay

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

SLPinfo.org
Jay

Thanks for the info.  At 350W the 30A output may be borderline for most
EVs, but they seem to have higher output models.

Do you or anyone else know if these are rugged enough for automotive use?
A quick scan says they are for stationary applications.

Peter Flipsen Jr
On May 4, 2012 6:47 PM, "Jay Summet" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got the following email from Jameco electronics.
>
> http://www.jameco.com/
>

> "We'll take 10% off your entire order when you purchase at least $25
> from our Power or Battery categories*. Just place your order on or
> before May 11, 2012 and be sure to use OFFER CODE PAB03145E."
>

> They sell such items as the Meanwell 350 watt 12 volt DC/DC converter
> for $120, and with a 10% discount that would be very affordable:
>

> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?freeText=meanwell+350d-12&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=2107207&search_type=jamecoall&catalogId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView
>
> Jay

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Otmar
If the listed input voltage range of 72V to 144V is correct and absolute, this will not work for many EV's, but they may work if you are running a 120V pack of AGM's.

I'd look for the AC-DC ones with wide range "universal" inputs. I find they work well on a large range of battery pack voltages.

Also beware that these units lack a constant current output when they are overloaded (such as charging a battery that provides the peak power when you need it) and therefore they will need external controls that limit current draw in order to work reliably in many applications.

-Otmar-

914 EV, California Poppy, Zilla research vehicle.
http://evcl.com/914/

The Zilla factory is at:
http://manzanitamicro.com/

Zilla Support is still at:
http://cafeelectric.com/Ssupport.php

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Jay Summet
Yes, they are cheap, and the 144v top range limits them to 96 or 120v conversions but they do work. The one in my truck is mounted to a piece of wood for 12000+ miles and still works, so the are reasonably rugged.
Jay Summet

Otmar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>If the listed input voltage range of 72V to 144V is correct and
>absolute,
>this will not work for many EV's, but they may work if you are running
>120V pack of AGM's.
>
>I'd look for the AC-DC ones with wide range "universal" inputs. I find
>they
>work well on a large range of battery pack voltages.
>
>Also beware that these units lack a constant current output when they
>are
>overloaded (such as charging a battery that provides the peak power
>when you
>need it) and therefore they will need external controls that limit
>current
>draw in order to work reliably in many applications.
>

>-----
>-Otmar-
>
>914 EV, California Poppy, Zilla research vehicle.
>http://evcl.com/914/
>
>The Zilla factory is at:
>http://manzanitamicro.com/
>
>Zilla Support is still at:
>http://cafeelectric.com/Ssupport.php
>--
>Nabble.com.

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

AMPhibian
I've been using this since my Chennic died last year:
        PSP-600-15  Output adjustable up to 15V, Input from 88V to 264V
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&pa=374222&productId=374222

Jay Summet wrote

On 5/6/2012 1:50 AM, Jay Summet wrote:
> Yes, they are cheap, and the 144v top range limits them to 96 or 120v conversions but they do work. The one in my truck is mounted to a piece of wood for 12000+ miles and still works, so the are reasonably rugged.
> Jay Summet

I think Otmar's point was that a 120v lead-acid pack can get up to 150v
during charging; that's above the 144v limit for this DC/DC. So 120v is
too high a pack voltage; the most you could safely use is a 114v pack
(57 cells at 2.5v).

On the low end, a cell can get down to 1.75v (even lower if nothing
stops the driver from continuing). An 84v pack is the lowest voltage you
could safely use (42 cells at 1.75v).

84-114v is a rather narrow range, and are not common EV pack voltages.
You could add a circuit that senses the input voltage to the DC/DC and
shuts it down if the voltage goes outside its 72-144v limits. But that
goes against cheap and easy.

Or, you can ignore all this, and just use it anyway. Maybe it will hold
up, if you're lucky. But plan on early failures; then you won't be
surprised if it fails, and might be delighted if it lasts!

--
First they ignore you; then they mock you; then they fight you; then you
win.
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Cor van de Water
Lee,

MeanWell is a pretty good company in terms of documenting their stuff.
As you can see in the test specs that are included in the Data Sheet (!)
they test the supply input to above 151V and it appears also to be
able to supply full load down to 58V input.
They also specify that the input cap (which is usually the weak link)
has a spec of 470uF, 200V (but only 85 degC)
The switching transistor (IRFP460A, which is 500V) sees 284V peak
at an input voltage of 147V.
The closes margin is however on the 100V rectifier diode which has
close to 95V peak under full load at 147V input.
I am presuming that the latter is for the 48V output variant - that
was not specified, so I am quite confident that 150V input into this
supply would be OK, even if you crank the output up to 13.6V or
thereabouts.

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Cor van de Water
BTW, Meanwell has a larger series of AC/DC converters,
so you just select how much current you need... 125A?
200A?
Here a relative cheap ($150) wide input 600W (50A) one:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_3742
14_-1
Thought the data sheet specs that there is also a 13.5V
versoin which is likely more appropriate than the 12V.

In put is spec'ed in AC as well as in DC: 124-370VDC
(de-rating down to 80% load at the lowest input voltage)

Cor van de Water

Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

On 5/6/2012 5:31 PM, Cor van de Water wrote:
> Lee,
>
> MeanWell is a pretty good company in terms of documenting their stuff.
> As you can see in the test specs that are included in the Data Sheet (!)
> they test the supply input to above 151V and it appears also to be
> able to supply full load down to 58V input...

Excellent! A real data sheet; that's great.

That changes my thoughts. It sounds like it would be safe to use on a
144v pack that hits 150v during charging. And, it should survive a
deeply discharged pack that gets dragged down to 60v or so.

Sound like a big improvement over the Todds/Iotas that have a negligible
safety margin in DC/DC use.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Jay Summet

Re: DC/DC converters 10% off

Morgan LaMoore
On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Jay Summet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I had to replace my DC/DC, I'd purchase the  PSP-600-15 instead for
> a few  extra dollars to get more amperage and a wider input range. The
> only real advantage of the  SD-350D is the small cost savings.

That PSP-600-15 (I'd get the 13.5V version instead of 15V) also has
constant current limiting on overload instead of shutdown, making it
much more suitable for EV use; unlike the other one, if your loads are
temporarily more than its current limit, it will just put out as much
current as possible and let the accessory battery take the rest.