Da! Grin!

gottdi
Today we took our Ghia on the open road for a speed test for the first time. We got some footage but it is not processed yet. The Ghia is sitting low and the front wheel is hitting the inner fender well and causing a racket when I turn sharp. The front for sure needs to come up. The Ghia has 72 volts and is using an old military starter/generator for it's motive power. It is coupled to the Kaylor adaptor plate and uses the stock pressure plate and clutch disk with a modified lightened flywheel. I use all 4 gears. Power is sent through a factory modified Kelly SepEx 72 volt 600 amp controller. I have only been able to get 3/4 throttle at this time but it was enough to do an on road test of the car. With the throttle only able to go max 3/4 I was able to get the car up to 55 mph in under 4/10's of a mile. I do not yet know the true weight of the vehicle but I do know I am only using stock tires inflated to 38 psi all the way around. This little car is for sure a lead sled but it was fun. I do however have a stone or something rattling around in one of the front hub caps. I will pull it out later. Kinda annoying but the EV Grin is good. Since I have already driven in and driven EV's I already kinda knew what to expect and I got what I expected. It is nice and I expect even more when I get this throttle thing figured out. My opinion is that the acceleration is fair and not unexpected for such a small motor and low voltage system but I can still get to Hwy speed and when I finished my driving I checked the motor and it was warm and I could touch it with out getting burned. The controller was not quite as hot but warm and it is not even mounted to a proper thick aluminum heat sink yet. Very soon. I do still have some tweaking to do but for now it has been a smashing success.

Pete
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Da! Grin! thumbs up

lcalarea47

hi gradulations ,, all the work etc building it ,,then finially taking for
drive ,,, thumbs up ,,another EV  on the road driving past gas stations
,,,,lonnie

gottdi

> Today we took our Ghia on the open road for a speed test for the first
> time.
> We got some footage but it is not processed yet. The Ghia is sitting low
> and
> the front wheel is hitting the inner fender well and causing a racket when
> turn sharp. The front for sure needs to come up. The Ghia has 72 volts and
> is using an old military starter/generator for it's motive power. It is
> coupled to the Kaylor adaptor plate and uses the stock pressure plate and
> clutch disk with a modified lightened flywheel. I use all 4 gears. Power
> is
> sent through a factory modified Kelly SepEx 72 volt 600 amp controller. I
> have only been able to get 3/4 throttle at this time but it was enough to
> do
> an on road test of the car. With the throttle only able to go max 3/4 I
> was
> able to get the car up to 55 mph in under 4/10's of a mile. I do not yet
> know the true weight of the vehicle but I do know I am only using stock
> tires inflated to 38 psi all the way around. This little car is for sure a
> lead sled but it was fun. I do however have a stone or something rattling
> around in one of the front hub caps. I will pull it out later. Kinda
> annoying but the EV Grin is good. Since I have already driven in and
> driven
> EV's I already kinda knew what to expect and I got what I expected. It is
> nice and I expect even more when I get this throttle thing figured out. My
> opinion is that the acceleration is fair and not unexpected for such a
> small
> motor and low voltage system but I can still get to Hwy speed and when I
> finished my driving I checked the motor and it was warm and I could touch
> it
> with out getting burned. The controller was not quite as hot but warm and
> it
> is not even mounted to a proper thick aluminum heat sink yet. Very soon. I
> do still have some tweaking to do but for now it has been a smashing
> success. :jumping::clap::-D
>
> Pete
> Nabble.com.

Re: Da! Grin!

gottdi
Well I now have full throttle and took the Ghia out for another shake down. I got 62 mph in just under a 1/4 mile. Acceleration is spartan but fine. I really did not expect much more than this after learning all I have learned and from driving and riding in other ev's. It is a job well done blending the old with the new and making it work. Kelly Controller is working but time will really tell I guess. But for now it is working and our next venture is getting the regen on line. For now we are satisfied with the results. What I thought was a stone in the hub cap was actually a loose hub cap emblem. I tightened it and no more clank clank. I do however really need to raise the front of this puppy to stop the wheel well grinding. No pulling the fender won't do. I only need an inch at most.

Pete

Video is still coming. Working with old analog to digital video so It takes some time to work out.

http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Da! Grin!

Peter VanDerWal
> I do however really need
> to raise the front of this puppy to stop the wheel well grinding. No
> pulling the fender won't do. I only need an inch at most.

I'm pretty sure you can get another inch by just rotating the
clamps/adjusters on the torsion bars by a notch or so.

I haven't tried this on a Ghia, and it's been a long time since I tried it
on a bug.

Re: Da! Grin!

Roger Stockton
Peter VanDerWal wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you can get another inch by just rotating the
> clamps/adjusters on the torsion bars by a notch or so.
>
> I haven't tried this on a Ghia, and it's been a long time
> since I tried it on a bug.

There are no adjustments on a stock Beetle front beam.  The trailing arms slide onto the ends of the torsion "bars" (torsion leaf stacks, actually), and the "bars" are notched to accept the set screw/bolt that secures the trailing arms to the bar so it is not readily possible to rotate the  trailing arms on the bars.  On the Beetle, the front ride height can be adjusted by rotating the anchor in the center of the upper and lower front beam tubes that hold the upper and lower torsion bars from rotating.  On a stock front beam, this requires cutting a few inch wide section at the center of each tube, rotating it, and then welding it back.

Aftermarket front beams are available with the anchor either already rotated or with it modified so that it can be rotated by means of a couple of bolts; perhaps your bug had one of these?

I discovered by accident that if you remove the torsion bars from a Beetle and reinstall them flipped over, the front suspension can become stiffer and the ride height higher.  I don't know just how permanent this change will be. ;^>

It looks like the Ghia and Beetle use that same front beam:

<http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-4199&Click=29996>

It may be difficult to locate an adjustable beam for the ball joint front end that allows raising the ride height since the stronger link & king pin front end is preferred for off-roading and on-roaders tend to lower their rides.

You can buy the parts to modify your original front beam to make it adjustable, if you can't locate a non-lowered adjustable front beam:

<http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=acc-c10-4032>

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Da! Grin!

Peter VanDerWal
> Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure you can get another inch by just rotating the
>> clamps/adjusters on the torsion bars by a notch or so.
>>
>> I haven't tried this on a Ghia, and it's been a long time
>> since I tried it on a bug.
>
> There are no adjustments on a stock Beetle front beam.  The trailing arms
> slide onto the ends of the torsion "bars" (torsion leaf stacks, actually),
> and the "bars" are notched to accept the set screw/bolt that secures the
> trailing arms to the bar so it is not readily possible to rotate the
> trailing arms on the bars.

Figured I'd get it wrong, was a Looong time ago.  Probably got confused
with the torsion bar adjustments on the 914s

Re: Da! Grin!

Nicolas Drouin
For front suspension adjustments on my Ghia, I'll probably be doing this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301

Obviously, I'll be raising, not droping, the Ghia!

Using the 'avis' adjuster as described in the link above, you can then
'tune' the ride height of the front beam.

Very useful if, like me, you're considering lithium for your second
pack... or maybe floodies if the AGMs are a total flop!

The rear ride height is adjustable from stock.

-Nick
Montreal, QC
www.evalbum.com/1890

Re: Da! Grin!

Willie McKemie
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:08:41PM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> > I do however really need
> > to raise the front of this puppy to stop the wheel well grinding. No
> > pulling the fender won't do. I only need an inch at most.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can get another inch by just rotating the
> clamps/adjusters on the torsion bars by a notch or so.

When Manx type dune buggies were in vogue, there was a front suspension
height adjustment kit that allowed you to twist the top torsion bar
clamp to raise and lower the front of the car.  That would be for a VW
with two torsion bars in horizontal tubes as used in "regular" VWs up
to at least the mid 1960s.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: Da! Grin!

gottdi
I have been doing VW's since 74. The original adjusters were select-a-drop and they stink. Some are actually still around. The AVIS style are by far the best and easiest to install. I took a look at that tutorial and found it to be pretty nice for those who want to install a set of their own. The nice thing is that you can install the AVIS adjusters for either up or down ride height. Not both but either one or the other. I am actually thinking about bagging my Ghia and have full up or down which ever I prefer at any given moment and still retain a nice ride unlike hydraulics. I will retain the king pins for added strength which this lead sled really needs.

The rear of all VW's are adjustable due to the splined torsion bars. Fine on one end and course on the other for fine tuning the ride height and balancing out each side. The front on the Type III's are adjustable because they have splined torsion bars like the rear. And that is for both the early king pin and later ball joint Type III's.

Bagging will remove the torsion bars completely. I just need to know if the air bags can handle the extra weight.

http://www.airkewld.com/pages/welcome.php