Death of the New Beetle

Don C
Hi gang, well its been a fun 8 years.

A month ago, on a warm west coast Saturday morning, a girl roared around the corner, side swiped a neighbours car, hit the tree at the front of our house and then finally came to s top after plowing into the New Beetle.  All though the damage was minimal it requires replacement of the rear quarter panel.  The insurance company wrote off the car.  Due to a number of legal hassles, its easier (and cheaper) for me to buy back the car and part it out rather than try to fix it.  (Our insurance here in BC is govt run and they are a PIA).

The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P

I will still leave the web site up and running for those who find it useful.  www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

The rest of it  will start to appear on the EV trading post.

Although I haven't posted much in the past few years, I appreciate all the help everyone gave me to get the project going (even though a number of people said it could not be done).  I hope the web site has been help to people.

Don

Re: Death of the New Beetle

EVDL Administrator
Ouch, so sorry to hear that!  Insuring conversions can be a challenge, as
many of us know, and a careless driver can eradicate your hard work in a
fraction of a second.  I'm just glad you weren't in the car when it got
whacked.

Are you going to convert another car, or are you considering one of the
factory EVs?

Re: *The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P*

brucedp5
Don,

My condolences.
What happened to your EV sounds too familiar, as I lost my EV in a
similar way:

Through no fault for being Electric, the EV was just in the wrong place,
at the wrong time.

And I also had to make the same hard decision to part-out. I hope you
can also take solace as I did that at least your EV components will live
on by bringing new life in another EV, Amp'ing its way down the road.

I think it is wise to keep your web site up, and if you would allow me

To keep people who find your site on a web search aware the site is
up for archival purposes / to help others, I suggest you put a text
link under the News and Events section of something like
linked to this evdl thread on the nabble archive
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Death-of-the-New-Beetle-tp4611170.html

Then not only will viewers know of your EV, but of the evdl encase they
want to build an EV or just have EV questions.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

-

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: Death of the New Beetle

rodhower
Don,
Sorry to hear about the accident.  I went to your web site several times over
the years, very well done
and it's great that your leaving it up as a resource for others.
Rod

Re: Death of the New Beetle R.I.P (P=parts)

Dannyames
What a terrible thing to lose such a great EV.
In my opinion yours is one of the best well documented conversions.

Appreciate you letting us all know the details about your loss and keeping the
web site going.

Thanks for the memories.

Danny

________________________________

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Jeffrey Jenkins
Don C wrote

The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P

I will still leave the web site up and running for those who find it useful.  www.cameronsoftware.com/ev
I hope you do another conversion, if for no other reason than yours was one of the best documented ones ever. I know that Rebirth Auto benefited greatly from your extensive notes when they did a 2004 New Beetle and probably many others have, too.

Re: Death of the New Beetle

gottdi
This post was updated on .
Don,

I am sorry to hear your EV got munched. It was and still is an inspiration for building an electric car. I refer people to your site all the time to have a look. It inspired me to keep pursuing the electric car as a daily transport medium. kudos to your work and continued support to the EV community and to all the new folks coming into the fray. I will continue to point them your direction.

Pete :)
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Cor van de Water
Indeed, very nicely documented.
One thing that caught my eye when going over the schematic
was that the fuse box has 192V coming in from two battery
boxes and terminating this in two adjacent terminals to
which two fuses are connected. That is a point where a
danger is created, because any time work is needed (for
example after blowing a fuse) the two adjacent terminals
will invite a screw or tool to fall across and cause a
plasma event, because there is no way to open the circuit
between these 192V points, other than first going into
the battery box and disconnecting one of the batteries.
Personally I would always place a single fuse in line
with every box, and make sure that if the switch is
thrown that all individual boxes are each powered down.
Even placing these two fuses each at the entry point of
each of the two battery boxes and not bringing them
together in one box will reduce the risk of creating
a short circuit that has no protection.

Other than that, the system appears very well designed
with adequate components and well executed. I recognised
the 312V which appears to be sort of a standard for
high voltage vehicles, my first EV truck also had that
pack voltage.

Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203

I am sorry to hear your EV got munched. It was and still is an
inspiration for building an electric car. I refer people to your site
all the time to have a look. It inspired me to keep pursuing the
electric car as a daily transport medium. kudos to your work and
contented support to the EV community and to all the new folks coming

-----
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can
still build one too.
Nabble.com.

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Randy
Hi Don.
Sorry about the car.
It sure would have been nice with lithium now.
It was great to have your web site as a reference when building our New
Beetle and subsequent kit.
http://www.canev.com/KitsComp/Universal%20Kit/Beetlekit.htm
We have sold three of the kits over the last year and it has to be one
of the easiest cars to convert.
Any time your up island please stop in for a test drive, we are getting
a nice reliable 150km range.

BFN
Randy

On 05/05/2012 7:16 AM, Don C wrote:

> Hi gang, well its been a fun 8 years.
>
> A month ago, on a warm west coast Saturday morning, a girl roared around the
> corner, side swiped a neighbours car, hit the tree at the front of our house
> and then finally came to s top after plowing into the New Beetle.  All
> though the damage was minimal it requires replacement of the rear quarter
> panel.  The insurance company wrote off the car.  Due to a number of legal
> hassles, its easier (and cheaper) for me to buy back the car and part it out
> rather than try to fix it.  (Our insurance here in BC is govt run and they
> are a PIA).
>
> *The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P*
>

> I will still leave the web site up and running for those who find it useful.
> www.cameronsoftware.com/ev
>
> The rest of it  will start to appear on the EV trading post.
>
> Although I haven't posted much in the past few years, I appreciate all the
> help everyone gave me to get the project going (even though a number of
> people said it could not be done).  I hope the web site has been help to
> people.
>
> Don

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Death of the New Beetle

corbin dunn
Shoot! That was a great EV. Terrific website, by the way.

corbin

On May 5, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Don C wrote:

> Hi gang, well its been a fun 8 years.
>
> A month ago, on a warm west coast Saturday morning, a girl roared around the
> corner, side swiped a neighbours car, hit the tree at the front of our house
> and then finally came to s top after plowing into the New Beetle.  All
> though the damage was minimal it requires replacement of the rear quarter
> panel.  The insurance company wrote off the car.  Due to a number of legal
> hassles, its easier (and cheaper) for me to buy back the car and part it out
> rather than try to fix it.  (Our insurance here in BC is govt run and they
> are a PIA).
>
> *The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P*
>

> I will still leave the web site up and running for those who find it useful.
> www.cameronsoftware.com/ev
>
> The rest of it  will start to appear on the EV trading post.
>
> Although I haven't posted much in the past few years, I appreciate all the
> help everyone gave me to get the project going (even though a number of
> people said it could not be done).  I hope the web site has been help to
> people.
>
> Don

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Bob Bath
So despite what privatized health care (political mode off) has done to this country, it appears that privatized _car_ insurance might be a winner when it comes to insuring EVs?  (Ie have followed your thread over the past two days RE: Canadian state insurance).
In other words, it periodically comes up that we all should be on stated value policies, so that my '92 Civic nets me $8500, not the $2K that I'd get if I was pegged in the same manner that the Beetle was hit?  Trying to draw lessons from this situation for other EVers...

Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  See http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html for DVD and tons more info!
                ____
             __/__|__\__
   =D-------/   -   -   \
            'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

> On May 5, 2012, at 7:16 AM, Don C wrote:
>
> > Hi gang, well its been a fun 8 years.
> >
> > A month ago, on a warm west coast Saturday morning, a
> girl roared around the
> > corner, side swiped a neighbours car, hit the tree at
> the front of our house
> > and then finally came to s top after plowing into the
> New Beetle.  All
> > though the damage was minimal it requires replacement
> of the rear quarter
> > panel.  The insurance company wrote off the
> car.  Due to a number of legal
> > hassles, its easier (and cheaper) for me to buy back
> the car and part it out
> > rather than try to fix it.  (Our insurance here in
> BC is govt run and they
> > are a PIA).
> >
> > *The Electric New Beetle - R.I.P*
> >

> > I will still leave the web site up and running for
> those who find it useful.
> > www.cameronsoftware.com/ev
> >
> > The rest of it  will start to appear on the EV
> trading post.
> >
> > Although I haven't posted much in the past few years, I
> appreciate all the
> > help everyone gave me to get the project going (even
> though a number of
> > people said it could not be done).  I hope the web
> site has been help to
> > people.
> >
> > Don
> >

> > --

> > | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/

Re: Death of the New Beetle

SLPinfo.org
Bob

Just to be clear.  Only some Canadian provinces have gov't run vehicle
insurance.

But having lived in both I must agree with your conclusion that private is
better.

Peter Flipsen
On May 6, 2012 7:50 PM, "Bob Bath" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So despite what privatized health care (political mode off) has done to
> this country, it appears that privatized _car_ insurance might be a winner
> when it comes to insuring EVs?  (Ie have followed your thread over the past
> two days RE: Canadian state insurance).
> In other words, it periodically comes up that we all should be on stated
> value policies, so that my '92 Civic nets me $8500, not the $2K that I'd
> get if I was pegged in the same manner that the Beetle was hit?  Trying to
> draw lessons from this situation for other EVers...
>

> Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  See
> http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html for DVD and tons more
> info!
>                ____
>             __/__|__\__
>   =D-------/   -   -   \
>            'O'-----'O'-'
> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering
> wheel?
> OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

Lawrence Harris
BC has both, you must have basic from the government plan but you can purchase various add on policies for collision and some other items.  I believe you can get named value as well if you have a custom car (fancy audio).  I don't know what an electric conversion would entail w.r.t. additional insurance.

Lawrence

On 2012-05-06, at 7:29 PM, SLPinfo.org wrote:

> Bob
>
> Just to be clear.  Only some Canadian provinces have gov't run vehicle
> insurance.
>
> But having lived in both I must agree with your conclusion that private is
> better.
>
> Peter Flipsen
> On May 6, 2012 7:50 PM, "Bob Bath" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So despite what privatized health care (political mode off) has done to
>> this country, it appears that privatized _car_ insurance might be a winner
>> when it comes to insuring EVs?  (Ie have followed your thread over the past
>> two days RE: Canadian state insurance).
>> In other words, it periodically comes up that we all should be on stated
>> value policies, so that my '92 Civic nets me $8500, not the $2K that I'd
>> get if I was pegged in the same manner that the Beetle was hit?  Trying to
>> draw lessons from this situation for other EVers...
>>

>> Thinking about converting a gen. 5 ('92-95) Honda Civic?  See
>> http://home.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html for DVD and tons more
>> info!
>>               ____
>>            __/__|__\__
>>  =D-------/   -   -   \
>>           'O'-----'O'-'
>> Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering
>> wheel?
>> OR Lic. "LCTRNS"

Roger Stockton
Bob Bath wrote:

> So despite what privatized health care (political mode off) has done to
> this country, it appears that privatized _car_ insurance might be a winner
> when it comes to insuring EVs?  (Ie have followed your thread over the
> past two days RE: Canadian state insurance).
> In other words, it periodically comes up that we all should be on stated
> value policies, so that my '92 Civic nets me $8500, not the $2K that I'd
> get if I was pegged in the same manner that the Beetle was hit?  Trying to
> draw lessons from this situation for other EVers...

Just to be clear, BC (where Don lives), has government run auto insurance, but this is only mandatory for basic third party liability coverage.  One can purchase additional insurance from private companies or from the provincial insurance corporation.  Public or private insurance doesn't make any difference; if you have not purchased insurance adequate to cover the true value of your vehicle, then it will get written off if the cost to repair exceeds the book value.

In a case like Don's, where the damage is relatively minor (quarter panel requires replacement), but the cost of the repair is estimated by the insurance co to be greater than the book value, one has the option of not making a claim and just repairing the vehicle (at one's own expense).

Cheers,

Roger.

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Mike Nickerson
I have a declared value policy on my EV.  I'm pretty sure it would cover my
EV parts if really crashed.  However, I am less sure how well it would cover
body damage worth more than the car without the EV parts.  I hope I don't
have to find out.

Mike

Rush Dougherty
Mike wrote -

I have a declared value policy on my EV.  I'm pretty sure it would cover my
EV parts if really crashed.  However, I am less sure how well it would cover
body damage worth more than the car without the EV parts.  I hope I don't
have to find out.

Mike

"pretty sure" .....????

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Mike Nickerson
With a declared value policy, it's hard to be completely positive until
you've experienced a claim.  One of the problems is that they state right up
front that they will pay the lesser of current value or the stated value.
This sets up the potential for a long argument about exactly what the car is
worth at the moment the accident happens.

That might be a very long discussion for an old car with a somewhat ratty
body, but full of expensive EV components.

Mike

Re: Death of the New Beetle

The declare value is normally with your insurance company.  Look at your
policy to see how other items that you are carrying are insure.  If the
other party is responsible for the damage, all other items are cover.

One time, I had a 2 ton truck hit the passenger side door which only dented
the outer skin of the door at about 10:00 AM on Friday.  The EV did not move
which weighs 3.5 tons.

Call my insurance company at 10:10 AM which they contacted the other party
insurance company.

At about 10:30 AM, I had my body shop inspect the damage and gave me a
estimated.  This shop does all my painting and customizer work and no one
else is allow to touch this vehicle.

My insurance company appraiser was at my home at 1:00 PM.  Pull back the car
cover inside the garage which I had 24 overhead lights on which the surface
of the vehicle blinded him.

He not only took pictures of the damage, but also of the entire exterior and
and interior. The appraiser then contacted my body shop to verified the cost
of the damage.

At about 3:00 PM, the other party appraiser look at my vehicle which razzed
dazzle him.  I gave him the appraiser and he just left.  On Tuesday I got a
check for $2600.00 from my insurance company.  I call them and said what's
this for?  They said it just in case the other party does not paid and you
can start on the repair right away.

I order a complete door package which is a preassemble door with glass,
hinges, locks and hardware from the original manufacturer supply depot which
is normally use for assembly lines plus a new door skin for the damage door.
It actually cost less to install a preassemble door then to take the other
door apart, replace the door skin and re-assemble it which I have a shop and
tools to do it my self.

Door skins only cost about $200.00.

The other party insurance company party had to paid the total appraiser cost
of my insurance company.  Always make sure you contact your insurance
company first instead of letting the other party insurance company do the
initial estimate.

> With a declared value policy, it's hard to be completely positive until
> you've experienced a claim.  One of the problems is that they state right
> up
> front that they will pay the lesser of current value or the stated value.
> This sets up the potential for a long argument about exactly what the car
> is
> worth at the moment the accident happens.
>
> That might be a very long discussion for an old car with a somewhat ratty
> body, but full of expensive EV components.
>
> Mike

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Don C
Hi all - thank your very much for the "coldolences".

Many have asked if I will do another EV project.  In the immediate future no, but I am starting to think about an electric motorcycle.  I ride "trials" bikes, and it would be fun to have an elctric version.  Many of the manufacturers are already making them, and I am pretty sure I can actaully make one cheaper (unlike the New Beetle).   I'll be back on the list once I start the design process.

I will be leaving the web site up for as long as I am in the computer business, so that should be good for another 10 years or so - long past its expiry date!

Have fun!
Don

Re: Death of the New Beetle

Mike Nickerson
If the accident is the fault of the other driver, their coverage should
cover the car and I will have to battle them to get the full value.  I
expect the declared value policy I'm paying for would be a good data point
on the value of the car.  Since it would be their client at fault, they
should make it right.  I know they will still be tempted to "total" the car
and write me a check for $2000.

I have the declared value policy for collision and comprehensive insurance,
in case the accident is my fault, or something like a tree falling on the
car.  In both cases, it would be my insurer paying the claim.  Hopefully, I
never have to find out.

Mike