Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

Shenoy Vikram
First time posting. After much research I am going ahead with my conversion. Also, have decided that it would be best if I have it converted by someone else.
I have a 98 honda civic 5 speed. A 40 mile round trip work commute. Morning is no traffic approx 20 min. Evening is 40 min with traffic. 90% freeway at 60-70mph. This is in Houston. So Air conditioning is a must.

I had pretty much decided on a HPEVS ac-50 system with 36 LIfepo4 200ah cells. Then I came across several posts regarding acceleration- an issue I had not given much thought to - ( achieving the speeds seem to be no problem). Several places mention a 0 to 60 of 18 seconds with the ac-50 systems. This would be a problem getting onto the freeways- lots of honking and angry stares ( also safety). I don't need really high performance, just enough to get on the freeways in a safe manner without effecting surrounding traffic.
I don't really need the regen benefits of AC in this city- really really flat.
- is the 0 to 60 I have quoted for AC-50 systems accurate/ reliable?
- is a DC system ( warp 9 with zilla 1k) a good alternative?

Thank you
-VS

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Re: Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

a.swackhammer

After driving an older vehicle (1960) with a four speed, I would not be concerned about getting up to speed.  It will do it.

Al Swackhammer www.evalbum.com/2430

Re: Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

Cruisin
I have done a couple of Hondas like yours and sold many of the AC-45 for the same car. A lot more torque at the lower RPM's than the AC-50 and much less noise than the AC-50. I know, I have sold and used both. The AC-45 also provides more regeneration that the AC-50. At $1000 a lot better motor. A lot cheaper, especially if you use the Curtis 1238-6501 needing only 105vdc.

Re: Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

Marco Gaxiola
Shenoy,

        I converted a 2012 NISSAN March - 5 speed manual transmission. I
used an AC50 + Curtis 1238-7500 (550Amps) this is what I can tell you about:

        Since I converted it, little more than one year ago; I got used to
drive starting from 2nd gear up to 80Km/hr (50mph) and only using 3rd gear
for speeds up to 130Km/hr (80mph). But that becomes a very slow acceleration
on every light/stop due to HPEVs controller programming compared to most DC
systems.

        Something I've been doing from some months ago, is reprogramming
some of the parameters on the acceleration, Amps ramp curve, regen braking,
an some other variables from the controller different than original set that
now I have much more power at lower RPMs and more powerful acceleration.
Obviously this is difficult to do, there is no any information where to
search rather than 'test-error' and you must get the Curtis hand-held or
serial programmer to perform such changes.

        In practice, I mostly use it as an automatic one gear car (2dn
gear). But when I want to have a fast going out from any stop I use 1st
gear..  And the same as a normal gasoline standard transmission car:
accelerate first then leave out the clutch. The result is a tire 'screeching
tires' (please correct my translation) and leave all cars behind.

Ing. Marco Gaxiola
Futuro Inteligente - CEO/Director
http://www.futurointeligente.com/en
https://www.facebook.com/FuturoInteligente
My Conversion:
https://www.facebook.com/EvMarch

Re: Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

tomw
This post was updated on .
I have an AC50 with the Curtis 1238-7501 550A peak controller in a 2260 lb Suzuki Swift with original transmission and clutch.  It does 0 to 60 in about 16 seconds, 0 to 40 mph in 8 seconds (without revving and popping the clutch).  It accelerates fine onto the highway - I am usually slowed by other cars, not vice-versa, but that will depend on how people drive in your area. You might count one thousand, two thousand... or time it on your watch when you accelerate onto a highway to see how fast traffic normally accelerates.

The AC50/550A controller gives performance comparable to a Warp9 with a 500A peak controller, somewhat better with the 650A controller.  A Warp9 with a higher current controller would give much greater acceleration and power.  The peak AC50 power with the Curtis 1238-7601 650A peak controller is about 75 H.P., whereas the peak power of the Warp9 with Soliton Jr controller is closer to 150 H.P. using a higher voltage pack capable of that power, and of course the Soliton1 or Zilla 1k could give much greater peak power than that.  The newer AC51 with Curtis 144V Controller has about 10% higher peak torque than the AC50/1238-7501 and higher peak power, about 85 H.P. It's performance is similar to the AC50/1238-7601 controller since both are limited by the peak power of the controllers, with the AC50/7601 having a bit higher peak torque but lower base speed.

Re: Deciding between ac-50 and warp 9 system

Ben Apollonio
AC is nice and all, especially, if you want the regen, but I'd recommend the DC.  Component costs for the two systems are pretty comparable.

I have a Z1K with an Advanced DC 9".  Roughly the same battery capacity (54 x 100Ah).  I can smoke tires and go 0-60 in under 7 seconds at 2400lbs.  I don't bother using any gears other than 3rd and reverse, except when I want to show off.  Gets 60 miles range to 80% DoD at sub-highway speeds.  About 50 on the highway keeping speed reasonable (about 60-65MPH).

The two caveats I would add are:
1)  There are hidden system costs with the DC solution.  My 172V pack required more expensive contactors, fuses, emergency disconnect, and BMS (more channels) than a lower voltage HPEVS system would have.
2)  My car would not perform nearly as well if I didn't have 170V from which to keep the amps flowing, so if you're dedicated to the 36 x 200Ah, there's much less advantage to DC.  When my old T-Rex 1000 (which used a throttle-to-volts control scheme) had its throttle cable loosen, I estimated I was getting about 96V across the motor and performance dropped off dramatically.

My $0.02
-Ben