Detect if a ADC 8" is advanced

Is there any way to tell if an ADC 8" motor is advanced - without pulling the motor out of the car?
I have a Sparrow, and want to make sure the motor has been set to advanced timing before I put it all back together.

--
Try my Sensible Email package!  https://sourceforge.net/projects/sensibleemail/

Re: Detect if a ADC 8" is advanced

John Lussmyer via EV wrote:
> Is there any way to tell if an ADC 8" motor is advanced - without pulling the motor out of the car?
> I have a Sparrow, and want to make sure the motor has been set to advanced timing before I put it all back together.

One way is to connect it to a 12v battery, run it in each direction, and
see if the RPM is the same or different. A "neutral" motor will run the
same speed in both directions. An "advanced" motor will run faster in
its advanced direction.

Obviously, you want to do this with the wheel in the air, and preferably
with the belt off so there are as few possibly assymetrical mechanical
loads as possible (brake drag, etc.)

Glad to hear you're getting the Sparrow back on the road!

--
In software development, there are two kinds of error: Conceptual
errors, implementation errors, and off-by-one errors. (anonymous)

On Sun Jun 09 10:09:47 PDT 2019 [hidden email] said:
>Glad to hear you're getting the Sparrow back on the road!

Thanks for the info.  "Back on the road" is going to take a long time, as it needs to be pretty much rewired from scratch.  One of the previous owners cut out almost every 12v connector, cut wires, etc...

--

Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...