Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Rob Trahms
My first project with LiFePO4 batteries will be small - not a car yet as they are a bit pricey.  I am planning on converting my son's mountain bike to an E-Bike, using a kit from www.goldenmotor.com.  The kit is pretty configurable.  I am going with a 36V/750W hub motor, and started to wonder which wheel was best to put the hub motor on.    I think the best choice is the rear (more stable frame support  given the torque), but I wanted to check with y'all as well.

Any other advice before I embark on this project?

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Thos True
Hi Rob,
our kit at evparts.com , comes with the hub motor already laced to the
mountain bike rim. It might make your conversion a bit easier.
Just a thought. - Thos

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My first project with LiFePO4 batteries will be small - not a car yet as
> they
> are a bit pricey.  I am planning on converting my son's mountain bike to an
> E-Bike, using a kit from www.goldenmotor.com.  The kit is pretty
> configurable.  I am going with a 36V/750W hub motor, and started to wonder
> which wheel was best to put the hub motor on.    I think the best choice is
> the rear (more stable frame support  given the torque), but I wanted to
> check with y'all as well.
>
> Any other advice before I embark on this project?
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>
> -----
> Rob Trahms
> [hidden email]
> Electro - the Cabby-EV
> http://chaosmgmt.blogspot.com chaosmgmt.blogspot.com

> Nabble.com.

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Morgan LaMoore
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My first project with LiFePO4 batteries will be small - not a car yet as they
> are a bit pricey.  I am planning on converting my son's mountain bike to an
> E-Bike, using a kit from www.goldenmotor.com.  The kit is pretty
> configurable.  I am going with a 36V/750W hub motor, and started to wonder
> which wheel was best to put the hub motor on.    I think the best choice is
> the rear (more stable frame support  given the torque), but I wanted to
> check with y'all as well.
>
> Any other advice before I embark on this project?

I would agree that the rear wheel is the better choice. Some other
benefits are that if you lose traction, you still have safe steering,
and more of the weight is over the rear wheel, giving you better
traction. The downside is that it's a bit more complicated to install
in the back.

> our kit at evparts.com , comes with the hub motor already laced to the
> mountain bike rim. It might make your conversion a bit easier.
> Just a thought. - Thos

The kit he's getting comes with the pre-laced rim. It also comes with
a Lithium battery pack and charger.

-Morgan LaMoore

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

dazzorick
I keep thinking it seems strange to me to have power on the front wheel. I
do know it is a common arrangement. It is always fun on a front wheel drive
car - except on the ice (frozen water) something i was not very familiar
with in the south. I drove a lot of motorcycles. Using the front hand brake
on gravel is a bad idea I learned - the hard way. i do not know what kind of
power the hub motor has but assume it would not break lose even at full
throttle.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Morgan LaMoore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > My first project with LiFePO4 batteries will be small - not a car yet as
> they
> > are a bit pricey.  I am planning on converting my son's mountain bike to
> an
> > E-Bike, using a kit from www.goldenmotor.com.  The kit is pretty
> > configurable.  I am going with a 36V/750W hub motor, and started to
> wonder
> > which wheel was best to put the hub motor on.    I think the best choice
> is
> > the rear (more stable frame support  given the torque), but I wanted to
> > check with y'all as well.
> >
> > Any other advice before I embark on this project?
>
> I would agree that the rear wheel is the better choice. Some other
> benefits are that if you lose traction, you still have safe steering,
> and more of the weight is over the rear wheel, giving you better
> traction. The downside is that it's a bit more complicated to install
> in the back.
>
> > our kit at evparts.com , comes with the hub motor already laced to the
> > mountain bike rim. It might make your conversion a bit easier.
> > Just a thought. - Thos
>
> The kit he's getting comes with the pre-laced rim. It also comes with
> a Lithium battery pack and charger.
>
> -Morgan LaMoore

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Frank John
I put the motor on the front wheel of my son's mtn. bike.  There were two main reasons why: (1) we needed a new wheel anyway as the stocker was bent & (2) we're using a PbA pack (mounted on a rear rack) and I wanted to shift weight forward.  It runs well but if you don't pedal on our uphill gravel driveway it can spin the front tire a bit.  You could search this topic on the endless-sphere forum as it's been discussed a lot.

Frank

________________________________

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

Evan Tuer
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Morgan LaMoore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Rob Trahms <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My first project with LiFePO4 batteries will be small - not a car yet as they
>> are a bit pricey.  I am planning on converting my son's mountain bike to an
>> E-Bike, using a kit from www.goldenmotor.com.  The kit is pretty
>> configurable.  I am going with a 36V/750W hub motor, and started to wonder
>> which wheel was best to put the hub motor on.    I think the best choice is
>> the rear (more stable frame support  given the torque), but I wanted to
>> check with y'all as well.
>>
>> Any other advice before I embark on this project?
>
> I would agree that the rear wheel is the better choice. Some other
> benefits are that if you lose traction, you still have safe steering,
> and more of the weight is over the rear wheel, giving you better
> traction. The downside is that it's a bit more complicated to install
> in the back.

Have you actually ridden a mountain bike with rear wheel drive versus
front wheel drive?  I have - and you need to be paying attention a
*lot* with the rear-wheel drive one.

Lack of traction isn't a problem, it's when the rear wheel grabs and
suddenly the front wheel isn't touching the ground any more, that's
when you'll have steering problems, if you manage to stay on.  You do
not need to be in very steep terrain before this becomes quite a
problem.

If you're using a hub-motor, I'd recommend putting it in the front
wheel.  If you're using a kit like the ev-parts one, or the old Curry
electrodrive, it has to go on the rear wheel so make sure you locate
your battery weight as forward as possible to counter that effect.

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

http://www.evalbum.com/26
I would start with the front for simplicity sake, then add a rear for 2 wheel drive.
-JB

Re: Doing an E-Bike Conversion - advice needed on hub motor placement

John M. Salmon III
If you have ridden an all wheel drive mountain bike you will find the
power to the front wheel tends to pull the wheel up out of a hole and
keeps you from doing a header over the handlebars.
JMS

Joseph Bonaparte wrote:

> I would start with the front for simplicity sake, then add a rear for 2 wheel drive.
> -JB

maybe i should build ev mountain bike here in china .... interesting - i am
really curiouse to ride one now .