Dual L3 PV-EVSE @Camp_Roberts-CA rest-areas along (SoCal) Hwy-101

https://pasoroblesdailynews.com/solar-powered-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-now-available-at-camp-roberts-rest-areas/98900/
Solar-powered electric vehicle charging stations now available at Camp
Roberts rest areas
October 4, 2019

[images
https://pasoroblesdailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/charging-station-highway-101.jpg
Two solar-powered direct current fast-charging (DCFC) electric vehicle (EV)
charging stations have been installed at the Camp Roberts Rest Areas along
US 101 in Monterey County. They are the first solar-powered EV charging
stations being operated in the United States

https://pasoroblesdailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/camp-roberts-rest-stop--600x296.jpg
]

–Two solar-powered direct current fast-charging (DCFC) electric vehicle (EV)
charging stations have been installed at the Camp Roberts Rest Areas [map
https://goo.gl/maps/s9X72VHTcnqtgYNGA
] along US 101 in Monterey County. They are the first solar-powered EV
charging stations being operated in the United States.

“We’re thrilled to have these solar-powered EV charging stations up and
running in rest areas. It’s an important part of our overall plan to provide
sustainable transportation options for travelers,” said Caltrans District 5
Director Tim Gubbins.

These EV ARC 2020 stations include four solar panels that pivot to track the
sun, storing the captured energy in a series of batteries. This system will
power one Charge Point Express250 charging station at each rest area. These
charging stations offer CCS1 and CHAdeMO cables. Tesla drivers can also use
the station if they carry an adapter. Other motorists can assess the
availability of the ChargePoint Station through an application on their
smartphone.

These stations will be free to the public and were funded by the Monterey
Bay Air Resources Board (MBARD) at a cost of $1.2 million, which includes
long-term system maintenance.
charging station highway 101.

“MBARD is pleased to partner with Caltrans District 5 on this unique
electric vehicle infrastructure project which makes DC charging available at
the Camp Roberts rest areas,” said Richard A. Stedman, MBARD Air Pollution
Control Officer. “This strategic location on Highway 101 fills a gap in the
network of charging stations along this important transportation corridor.
By funding the installation of fast charging stations, MBARD promotes the
adoption of fully electric vehicles, leading to significant long-term air
quality benefits.”

Emergency responders will also be able to use these facilities as an
emergency generator during a power outage in the event of an earthquake or
wildfire.

The installation of this technology was performed by Envision Solar
International, the developer and manufacturer of this system. “Envision
Solar is delighted to have the opportunity to put our environmentally
sustainable, off the grid EV charging solution on California’s highway,”
said Desmond Wheatley, CEO of Envision Solar International. These stations
are designed to fill a gap in the electric highway network to relieve driver
anxiety while encouraging longer travel trips by electric vehicles.

A third solar-powered EV charging station will be installed at the Shandon
Rest Area in early 2020.
[© pasoroblesdailynews.com]
https://www.plugshare.com/location/207880
 Solar powered dual CHAdeMO &ccs ChargePoint L3 EVSE
https://www.plugshare.com/location/207881

+
https://ngtnews.com/calif-auto-group-prepares-for-ev-surge-by-installing-solar-storage
Calif. Auto Group Prepares for EV Surge by Installing Solar, Storage
 ... 1.56 MW of solar PV integrated with 567 kWh of NantEnergy’s
behind-the-meter SmartStorage systems. The systems are expected to save the
auto group up to $14.3 million over the next 25 years and help diversify its
energy supply as it prepares for the expected growth of the electric vehicle
(EV) market ...
https://ngtnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/henry-hansel.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/

Re: Dual L3 PV-EVSE @Camp_Roberts-CA rest-areas along (SoCal) Hwy-101

$600K per station ? What, do they include a free Tesla when you come to
charge ?

Ok, so they have 1.56MW generation and 567kWh of storage, which is
probably on par with $600K * 2. So, they can fill the battery in about
20 minutes. What happens to the rest of the power ? Goes to the grid ?

Peri

> [...]
>anxiety while encouraging longer travel trips by electric vehicles.
>
>A third solar-powered EV charging station will be installed at the Shandon
>Rest Area in early 2020.
>[© pasoroblesdailynews.com]
>https://www.plugshare.com/location/207880
>  Solar powered dual CHAdeMO &ccs ChargePoint L3 EVSE
>https://www.plugshare.com/location/207881
>

>+
>https://ngtnews.com/calif-auto-group-prepares-for-ev-surge-by-installing-solar-storage
>Calif. Auto Group Prepares for EV Surge by Installing Solar, Storage
>  ... 1.56 MW of solar PV integrated with 567 kWh of NantEnergy’s
>behind-the-meter SmartStorage systems. The systems are expected to save the
>auto group up to $14.3 million over the next 25 years and help diversify its
>energy supply as it prepares for the expected growth of the electric vehicle

These are *not* the first solar powered charging stations in the USA.
Sunnyvale has had for many years, at least a decade long, a stand alone
solar powered charging station near down town.
About 5 yrs ago it broke down due to the batteries being worn out. It took
some prodding of the City Staff to get it repaired and operating again. I
recently noticed it out of power again, probably the lead acids failed
again.
Cor.

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019, 2:42 PM Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> $600K per station ? What, do they include a free Tesla when you come to
> charge ?
>
> Ok, so they have 1.56MW generation and 567kWh of storage, which is
> probably on par with $600K * 2. So, they can fill the battery in about
> 20 minutes. What happens to the rest of the power ? Goes to the grid ?
>
> Peri

Old news but shows Las Vegas has had at least one solar charging station
for a couple of years. I think there are more now but don't have time to
locate them all.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/nov/23/dc-solar-offers-free-electric-vehicle-charging-in/

On 10/5/2019 5:37 PM, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
> These are*not*  the first solar powered charging stations in the USA.

Re: Dual L3 PV-EVSE @Camp_Roberts-CA rest-areas along (SoCal)Hwy-101

I was wrong in claiming that the Sunnyvale Solar charger existed for over a decade. 10 years ago the location of this charger was still an offramp of Mathilda onto Evelyn (a weird and short turn-off at the top of the train bridge).
In May 2011 that offramp was already removed and being converted into a parking lot, with the last stall receiving a free EV charger, which is powered from batteries that are charged by solar panels, despite there being power on this side of the street (There is a street light right next to the charger). I think the reason was that the City (who owns this charger) did not want to foot the bill for the electricity for the charger and had financing for the solar charger, so that is what was installed.
On the following pic on Streetview from May 2011 you see the conduits & wiring sticking out of the ground for preparation of the connection between the battery station which will be installed to the left, and the charger for the last slot:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3799355,-122.0354883,3a,75y,75.04h,84.02t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdA2BJLPRhemDRoGpWwrKhw!2e0!5s20110601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Browse through the time line to see the charger in the years after.
Cor.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Old news but shows Las Vegas has had at least one solar charging station
for a couple of years. I think there are more now but don't have time to
locate them all.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/nov/23/dc-solar-offers-free-electric-vehicle-charging-in/

On 10/5/2019 5:37 PM, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
> These are*not*  the first solar powered charging stations in the USA.

Sunnyvale-CA L2 on Evelyn: Dual L3 PV-EVSE ...

[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Dual-L3-PV-EVSE-Camp-Roberts-CA-rest-areas-along-SoCal-Hwy-101-tp4695325p4695331.html
]

Cor's goog sat-map link threw me back to my childhood.

(1st EV-related stuff)
Cor's link shows the timeline of deconstruction of the
Mathilda overpass off-ramp, and that area reclaimed as a
small public parking lot (close to both the bus & train
station).

I only saw the back of the EVSE Cor mentioned, which looks
like an Eaton L2 EVSE. Plugshare.com does not list that
EVSE. *I request someone in the Sunnyvale/Silicon-Valley
area document that L2 EVSE's details with pictures, and
upload it (add a charger) to plugshare.com

(offt - personal history ... the caffeine in the dentist's
tooth-pull pain-dullers has got my brain rushing)

Those streets, Evelyn & Mathilda are very close to where I
grew up, and I used to walk those streets as a boy to my
elementary & later, jr-high school.

Looking west on Evelyn away from the Mathilda overpass
https://goo.gl/maps/PVhfQYQvxE1hcHGq7
 is the intersection of Mary and Evelyn
https://goo.gl/maps/G9RoV3eMuQcq8Cu67
 which I used to cross to walk to either school.

The house I grew up on is near
https://goo.gl/maps/y3AFStRGA4bYrXK16
 note the post-WWII 1950's (inexpensively made) flat
roof homes.

So much has changed, since I was a boy. The pear, cherry,
apricot, & walnut orchards I walked through, and the
Libby's cannery I passed by daily to get to that
intersection, are now gone, ... all paved over ...

http://heritageparkmuseum.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/LibbyWaterTower1970.jpg
 As I walked by Libby's cannery in the 1960's, I saw
their new (at the time) water tower being constructed,
as each curved section of red-primer painted steel
were lifted, then welded into place.
Note in image: the two Mofett NAS air-ship hangars
(#2 &#3) shown in the background. A WashDC museum
displayed early photos of Moffet NAS back when airships
ruled the skies.

From near my family's house I could see the original
giant hangar #1
https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/03/31/google-takes-over-aging-moffett-field-and-its-airship-hangars/
 of which, google has now taken over ownership of
https://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/10/hangar-one-of-mountain-view-california.html

Lastly, when I moved to San Antonio, and visited Willie
at his farm, he asked me, 'What made you pick-up
(give-up everything) and move here (to Texas)'. I said,
'there is very little left of what I grew-up-with
(everything has dramatically changed)'. Things
constantly are changing in Silicon Valley
(they have way too much money, & will spend it)
(/offt )