E-Plane

Mark Hanson-2

Here's another electric plane.  I'd love to fly to work and land on the roof
as long as I don't hit any power lines :-)

>http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070724_sonex.html

Have a renewable energy day,
Mark in Roanoke, VA

Re: E-Plane

harry henderson
power lines would be great! just set up an inductive
charging system

--- Mark Hanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's another electric plane.  I'd love to fly to
> work and land on the roof
> as long as I don't hit any power lines :-)
>

>http://www.airventure.org/2007/news/070724_sonex.html
>
> Have a renewable energy day,
> Mark in Roanoke, VA

Albuquerque, NM
http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1221
http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

Re: E-Plane

Timothy Balcer
I'm an Airship man meself ;)

I mean come on.. .talk about space for solar panels!!!

--T

Re: E-Plane

Bob Rice-2

Re: E-Plane

Gail Lucas-2
Dan Parmley, former builder of EV charging stations who did a cross country
EV trip by swapping battery packs, is working on an airship which will use
solar to provide electricity and hydrogen.

http://www.teecointernational.net/?content=airhelo.php

>> Right on, If Hindenberg was painted with Solar Cells, it woulda gone like
>> hell, on a sunny day! They DID do well with their Maybach Diseasel
>> engines
>> at 80 mph or so, esasily beating Queen Merry and Mauritania, 35 mph or
>> so,
>> on the trans atlantic ferry.Two daze flight! the Concorde of it's day.
>> Bring them back with A2123's for night flight, solars for daze. But lets
>> use helium, thius time.
>
>    Flights of Fancy
>
>     Bob

Re: E-Plane

Andrew Kane-2
      Why bother with hydrogen as lifting gas?
      Surely some part of the system will waste enough heat to keep a
hot-air balloon hot. As for the rest, Paint It Black.
      Disclaimer : I have not done the math.

On 8/16/07, Gail Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan Parmley, former builder of EV charging stations who did a cross country
> EV trip by swapping battery packs, is working on an airship which will use
> solar to provide electricity and hydrogen.
>
> http://www.teecointernational.net/?content=airhelo.php

Re: E-Plane

Timothy Balcer
On 8/17/07, Andrew Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Why bother with hydrogen as lifting gas?
>       Surely some part of the system will waste enough heat to keep a
> hot-air balloon hot. As for the rest, Paint It Black.
>       Disclaimer : I have not done the math.

Hot air takes energy to maintain.. essentially, you have to bring a
fuel supply with you up there. A black balloon would help, but you
have to control buoyancy because you are constantly losing lift, so
you'd save fuel a bit, but you'd still have to -have- fuel. With
hydrogen you can create the lift on the ground from wind/solar and
etc.

Re: E-Plane

Peter VanDerWal
Hmm, it takes enormouse ammounts of heat to keep a hot air ballon aloft.
Electric drive systems, especially efficient ones, tend to release
relatively miniscule amounts of heat.

If you heat a cubic foot of air by 100 degree F it will lift about 7
grams. It requires about 3 cubic meters of hot air to lift one (1)
kilogram, and I believe that 1kg includes the weight of the envelope.

I'm don't know the formulas for calculating how much energy it takes to
raise the temperature of one cubic foot of air by 100 degrees, but I'd bet
it's more than the total heat generated by an efficient electric drive
system.

In fact I'd bet a Lion powered hot air ballon that had nothing but an
electric heater would have a hard time generating enough heat to keep
itself aloft for more than a couple minutes, if that.  It could probably
do it for a while if the air was preheated.

>       Why bother with hydrogen as lifting gas?
>       Surely some part of the system will waste enough heat to keep a
> hot-air balloon hot. As for the rest, Paint It Black.
>       Disclaimer : I have not done the math.
>
> On 8/16/07, Gail Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dan Parmley, former builder of EV charging stations who did a cross
>> country
>> EV trip by swapping battery packs, is working on an airship which will
>> use
>> solar to provide electricity and hydrogen.
>>
>> http://www.teecointernational.net/?content=airhelo.php

wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.