[EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

[EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

dazzorick
i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question ... (of
course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED stage
lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for headlights....
http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on this. i
bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike ( man i
like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works great
but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to bounce
this off you guys,
thanks
rick

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

dave cover-2
Rick

The problem you'll face over here (US) is that everything has to be
"DOT approved." There are certainly cars coming out with LED
headlights, but that's a lot different than rolling your own.

Do you have any details of the LEDs they incorporate in their stage
lights? What wattage LEDs are they using? Lumens?

I've incorporated a few LED running lights in my car and would love to
do more. Maybe they'd make good driving lights, just not main
headlights.

Dave Cover

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Rick Randazzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question ... (of
> course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED stage
> lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for headlights....
> http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on this. i
> bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike ( man i
> like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works great
> but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to bounce
> this off you guys,
> thanks
> rick

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

Dennis Miles
Rick,
    Regulations vary by state, and by vehicle type, for example in Florida,
Four wheeled or more motor vehicles must have headlamps compliant with
Federal DOT specifications, Motorcycles with 2 or 3 wheels meet a less
stringent requirement and low powered cycles only requirement is that the
red in the back and white light in the front must be plainly visible 500 ft
distant. so one usually sees bicycles with a flashlight clamped to the
handlebars. Personally I would try to find a front light with a Fresnel lens
for best visibility but the LED stage flood might work very well.  Remember
the dual purpose of seeing the road ahead and being seen by approaching
drivers so they give you the space you deserve.  A few extra reflectors can
add to the visibility by others and do not detract from style if placed
"Artistically" to follow vehicle lines. If licensed as a motorcycle follow
those rules, or as appropriate and if not excessive to a fault, multiple
accessory or "Clearance" lights just might save your life at night.
Regards,
Dennis Miles
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Rick Randazzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question ...
> (of
> course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED stage
> lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for headlights....
> http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on this. i
> bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike ( man
> like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works
> great
> but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to bounce
> this off you guys,
> thanks
> rick

*Dennis Lee Miles*   (Director)     *E.V.T.I. inc*.
*www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM <http://www.e-v-t-i-inc.com/>    *(Adviser)*
EVTI-EVAEducation Chapter
*
Phone (813) ID4 - E V T I   or  (813) 434 - 3884

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

FC EV Man
Here is a link for 7" round DOT approved LED headlights...

http://www.class8truckparts.com/TruckLite-7-Round-12v-LED-Headlamp/M/B002IFR
ROM.htm

They are about $300.00

Features :
DOT Approved, High Beam and Low Beam performance
Provides light output closer to the color temperature of daylight
Solid-state design resists damage from shock & vibration
50x longer life (10,000 hrs vs 400 hrs) than comparable incandescent lamps,
saving time and money
3-Year Limited Warranty

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

Mark Eidson
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/515033030/LED-buggy-lights-last-longer.html
talks about LED Head Lights for Horse Drawn Buggies........me

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Dennis Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rick,
>    Regulations vary by state, and by vehicle type, for example in Florida,
> Four wheeled or more motor vehicles must have headlamps compliant with
> Federal DOT specifications, Motorcycles with 2 or 3 wheels meet a less
> stringent requirement and low powered cycles only requirement is that the
> red in the back and white light in the front must be plainly visible 500 ft
> distant. so one usually sees bicycles with a flashlight clamped to the
> handlebars. Personally I would try to find a front light with a Fresnel
> lens
> for best visibility but the LED stage flood might work very well.  Remember
> the dual purpose of seeing the road ahead and being seen by approaching
> drivers so they give you the space you deserve.  A few extra reflectors can
> add to the visibility by others and do not detract from style if placed
> "Artistically" to follow vehicle lines. If licensed as a motorcycle follow
> those rules, or as appropriate and if not excessive to a fault, multiple
> accessory or "Clearance" lights just might save your life at night.
> Regards,
> Dennis Miles
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Rick Randazzo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question ...
> > (of
> > course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED stage
> > lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for headlights....
> > http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on this.
> > bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike (
> man
> > like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works
> > great
> > but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to
> bounce
> > this off you guys,
> > thanks
> > rick

> Regards,
> *Dennis Lee Miles*   (Director)     *E.V.T.I. inc*.
> *www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM <http://www.e-v-t-i-inc.com/> <
> http://www.e-v-t-i-inc.com/>    *(Adviser)*
> EVTI-EVAEducation Chapter
> *
> Phone (813) ID4 - E V T I   or  (813) 434 - 3884

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

SLPinfo.org
I went through the same debate with myself about LED headlights and decided
there was too much uncertainty about whether LEDs would really do the
job for that application.  I also considered the DOT approval issue.  My
goal was to reduce the amp draw on my accessory battery, so as a compromise
I put in Xenon lights which draw 35W rather than the usual 55W for Halogens;
they require some extra hardware so you can't just replace the bulbs, but I
decided it was worth the added expense.  I've since discovered tthe added
benefit that they seem to give me better down the road vision than the
previous Halogen lights.

Am now looking into LEDs for all the other lights (turn signals, brakes,
etc.)

- Peter Flipsen Jr
http://www.evalbum.com/1974

> > On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Rick Randazzo <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question
> > > (of
> > > course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED
> stage
> > > lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for
> headlights....
> > > http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on
> this.
> > > bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike (
> > man
> > > like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works
> > > great
> > > but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to
> > bounce
> > > this off you guys,
> > > thanks
> > > rick

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

Peter C. Thompson
Hi Pete,

When replacing the turn signals, you will also (most likely) need to
replace the blinker relay.  Most relays for cars use the current to
drive the amount of time a turn light is on...and since the LEDs draw
significantly less current, it can be a problem.  There are several
replacement relays on the market though, so you should have no trouble
finding them.

Cheers,
     Peter

On 12/9/2010 9:38 AM, SLPinfo.org wrote:

> I went through the same debate with myself about LED headlights and decided
> there was too much uncertainty about whether LEDs would really do the
> job for that application.  I also considered the DOT approval issue.  My
> goal was to reduce the amp draw on my accessory battery, so as a compromise
> I put in Xenon lights which draw 35W rather than the usual 55W for Halogens;
> they require some extra hardware so you can't just replace the bulbs, but I
> decided it was worth the added expense.  I've since discovered tthe added
> benefit that they seem to give me better down the road vision than the
> previous Halogen lights.
>
> Am now looking into LEDs for all the other lights (turn signals, brakes,
> etc.)
>
> - Peter Flipsen Jr
> http://www.evalbum.com/1974
>
>    >

>> stage
>> headlights....
>> this.
>>> man
>>> bounce

*Peter C. Thompson*
*Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
(858) 692-3571
AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
[hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

Collin Kidder
Yes, do not forget this. We did a car with all LED bulbs for turn signals
and brake lights and then stood around like idiots when the turn signals
would not blink. Whoops! The lousy part is that solid state relay boxes that
can handle LED bulbs are more money than  older, traditional turn signal
relays. You can be cheap by switching either the front or rear bulbs to LED
and leave the others as incandescent bulbs. This is usually enough to make
the old style relays work properly.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Peter C. Thompson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> When replacing the turn signals, you will also (most likely) need to
> replace the blinker relay.  Most relays for cars use the current to
> drive the amount of time a turn light is on...and since the LEDs draw
> significantly less current, it can be a problem.  There are several
> replacement relays on the market though, so you should have no trouble
> finding them.
>
> Cheers,
>     Peter
>
> On 12/9/2010 9:38 AM, SLPinfo.org wrote:
> > I went through the same debate with myself about LED headlights and
> decided
> > there was too much uncertainty about whether LEDs would really do the
> > job for that application.  I also considered the DOT approval issue.  My
> > goal was to reduce the amp draw on my accessory battery, so as a
> compromise
> > I put in Xenon lights which draw 35W rather than the usual 55W for
> Halogens;
> > they require some extra hardware so you can't just replace the bulbs, but
> > decided it was worth the added expense.  I've since discovered tthe added
> > benefit that they seem to give me better down the road vision than the
> > previous Halogen lights.
> >
> > Am now looking into LEDs for all the other lights (turn signals, brakes,
> > etc.)
> >
> > - Peter Flipsen Jr
> > http://www.evalbum.com/1974
> >
> >    >

> >> stage
> >> headlights....
> >> this.

> *Peter C. Thompson*
> *Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
> (858) 692-3571
> AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
> [hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

NeilBlanchard
Hi,

I replaced almost all the turn signal, brake light, and marker lights on our cars with LED's and SuperBright LED's had a replacement flashing relay for about $12 or $14.

I had tried to modify the stock unit, but it was not consistent, so the replacement unit was good to have.

In addition to the 7" "truck" LED headlights mentioned earlier (that the Illuminati Seven used, by the way), I have seen LED projector style headlights, as well.

http://www.class8truckparts.com/TruckLite-7-Round-12v-LED-Headlamp/M/B002IFRROM.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2arbkjz

> Yes, do not forget this. We did a car with all LED bulbs for turn signals
> and brake lights and then stood around like idiots when the turn signals
> would not blink. Whoops! The lousy part is that solid state relay boxes that
> can handle LED bulbs are more money than  older, traditional turn signal
> relays. You can be cheap by switching either the front or rear bulbs to LED
> and leave the others as incandescent bulbs. This is usually enough to make
> the old style relays work properly.
>
>> When replacing the turn signals, you will also (most likely) need to
>> replace the blinker relay.  Most relays for cars use the current to
>> drive the amount of time a turn light is on...and since the LEDs draw
>> significantly less current, it can be a problem.  There are several
>> replacement relays on the market though, so you should have no trouble
>> finding them.

Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

My concern is that (AFAIK) white LEDs still use a phosphor, and its output
declines over time.  Incandescent headlamps dim too, but not nearly as much.

Getting the heat out of high power LED has always been a problem, too.  That
suggests to me that their efficiency isn't as great as some people think.
In fact, the really high efficacy LEDs are just now beginning to make their
way out of the lab.  Last I saw (generically at least), HID still beat them
hands down.

This may change in a few years, but right now for high efficiency EV
headlights, I don't think you're going to beat HID.  But I could be wrong.

On 12/9/2010 11:38 AM, SLPinfo.org wrote:
> I went through the same debate with myself about LED headlights and
> decided there was too much uncertainty about whether LEDs would
> really do the job for that application.

LEDs at their present stage of development are a bit less efficient
(lumens per watt), and considerably more expensive (dollars per lumen).
They aren mainly used in high-end luxury cars, show cars, and other
places more concerned with style than substance.

> I also considered the DOT approval issue.

My concern is that most regulations in the US are voluntary. Anyone can
claim DOT listing, and the chances of getting caught are very slim. A
big automaker might get caught, but not some guy selling online or out
of the back of a truck at a swap meet. So there are fast-buck artists
that throw some cheap LEDs in a shoddy package, and sell it for a big
price as "DOT approved".

> My goal was to reduce the amp draw on my accessory battery...

There are lots of ways to do this.

The bulb itself: Plain old tungsten bulbs are the cheapest, but least
efficient. Halogens (quartz iodide) are about 20% more efficient, and
not much more expensive. HIDs are about 50% better, but the price goes
up considerably. LEDs are no better than HIDs, but even more expensive.

Operating voltage: For filament lamps, the higher the voltage, the
brighter and more efficient it gets. However, higher voltage also
considerably shortens life. So, one way to reduce power is to use a
lower power bulb but run it at higher voltages to get the same light
output with less power and shorter life than an equivalent bulb. This
isn't very practical with headlights due to standardization (no lower
power bulbs available), but it does work for tail lights etc.

Wiring: Almost all car wiring drops 1-2v between the lamp and
battery/alternator. You'll have 14v at the battery, but 12v at the lamp.
One way to improve efficiency is to minimize this voltage drop (heavier
wire and a headlight relay), but then use a PWM to drop the bulb back to
its original voltage. Instead of 14v at 4a to power a 12v 4a headlight,
it takes 14v at 3.4a (13% more efficient).

For all the smaller bulbs where brightness (being seen) matters more
than illumination (lighting up an area), LEDs make a lot of sense. They
are the brightest type of light for a given amount of power.

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

Matt Childress
One of the significant advantages of eBikes is that they are NOT regulated by DOT, but by the Consumer Product Safety Commission -- so you can be a lot more creative "rolling your own".  You could put homemade LED headlights on THIS EV, no problem.

In Illinois, eBikes can be 3-wheeled, all-enclosed but have a maximum unassisted by pedaling speed of 20 mph if you weigh 175 pounds (if you're UNDER or OVER 175 pounds, there is no restriction, but if there's 175 pounds on the seat, you can only go 20 mph).  If you're pedaling, the top-end speed is not limited.  750 watt motor maximum, no restrictions on how MANY 750 watt motors ;-)   Of course I'm not a lawyer and this is my bendy interpretation of the law on the books.  It's pretty poorly written.

No insurance, plate/registration or driver's license required.  Just gotta be 16 and you can't drive it on the sidewalk.  20mph is *fast* on a regular bicycle.

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

SLPinfo.org
Thanks I was aware of the need for electronic flashers when switching to led bulbs.  Several of the websites selling LEDs have some pretty good info about making the switch.  They've probably had to deal with returns from people expecting simple plug and play.

Peter

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

SLPinfo.org
Good info and advise as always Lee.  I'm one who prefers the simpler approaches and it sounds like just using LED bulbs and electronic flashers for all but the headlights (where the Xenon bulbs are working) will do it for me.

Peter

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

David Sharpe
I bought an X21 LED flashlight (brand name LED Lenser, 21.5W, 1050 lumens)
to experiment with. This produces more light than a normal car head lamp &
has a an adjustable beam & two intensity settings. It is powered by 4 D
cells so would be possible to fit in place of a head lamp & run two in
series from a 12V system. One setting could be low beam, the other high
beam. You could manually adjust the focus to suit driving conditions. I may
use two of these next year when Ill be driving my EV from Melbourne to
Brisbane where there will be some night driving in order to make some
progress. Im going to attach them to the bonnet using suction caps and
mounting frame. The claimed 300 hr per set of cells suggests that you may as
well use the throw away cells or use NiCds or NiMH. When driving ill
probably set them up as somewhat higher low beam lights & retain the normal
head lamps to use high beam as needed. At $500 each they are too expensive
to leave permanently on the car.  David

> i know we face tough regulations and maybe this is a stupid question ...
> (of
> course)  -  a friend of mine is working at a factory that makes LED stage
> lights and i am wondering the fesability of using them for headlights....
> http://www.theonelights.com/ just want to know how far out i am on this. i
> bought an led flashlight and strapped it onto the front of my e-bike ( man
> like that thing more everyday ... i never dreamed i would ) that works
> great
> but i live in a place that is mostly well lit... anyway- i wanted to
> bounce
> this off you guys,
> thanks
> rick

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

EVDL Administrator
On 10 Dec 2010 at 9:12, David Sharpe wrote:

> It is powered by 4 D cells so would be possible to fit in place of a
> head lamp & run two in series from a 12V system.

Many (most?) good-quality LED flashlights have buck/boost voltage regulators
in them to maintain a consistent voltage and brightness.  I'm not an EE so
I'm a little hazy on the details, but I'd be concerned that the input
current is apt to vary.  If that be true, I'm not so sure that the
flashlights' circuits would take kindly to being run in series across a
battery.  You might have to buy or devise a 12v:6v DC:DC to power them.

Regardless, it would be an interesting experiment.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

David Sharpe
As for me Ill just run the internal cells.

> On 10 Dec 2010 at 9:12, David Sharpe wrote:
>
>> It is powered by 4 D cells so would be possible to fit in place of a
>> head lamp & run two in series from a 12V system.
>
> Many (most?) good-quality LED flashlights have buck/boost voltage
> regulators
> in them to maintain a consistent voltage and brightness.  I'm not an EE so
> I'm a little hazy on the details, but I'd be concerned that the input
> current is apt to vary.  If that be true, I'm not so sure that the
> flashlights' circuits would take kindly to being run in series across a
> battery.  You might have to buy or devise a 12v:6v DC:DC to power them.
>
> Regardless, it would be an interesting experiment.
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
> http://www.evdl.org/

Re: [EDVL] led stage lights for headlights ?

martinwinlow
Guys,

Sorry, I know lots of folk poo-poo the benefits of LED lights as a
replacement for filament on a power savings basis.  Whilst I think
having HID headlamps and LED front/rear position lights may be worth
it, indicators are definitely not - especially if you are going to
have to pay AND fiddle around changing the flasher relay!  How much do
you use your indicators?  On an average half hour drive you probably
only use a hundredth of a kWh of energy even with the filament bulbs.

Just not worth the candle.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

On 9 Dec 2010, at 18:35, EVDL Administrator wrote:

> ... My concern is that (AFAIK) white LEDs still use a phosphor, and
> its output
> declines over time.  Incandescent headlamps dim too, but not nearly
> as much.
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Ahhh! That'll be why my rear lights appear to continue to glow faintly
after they're switched off!  I thought I was seeing things.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092
www.winlow.co.uk

Martin WINLOW wrote:
> Whilst I think having HID headlamps and LED front/rear position lights may be worth
> it, indicators are definitely not - especially if you are going to
> have to pay AND fiddle around changing the flasher relay! On an average half hour drive you probably
> only use a hundredth of a kWh of energy even with the filament bulbs.

The turn signal indicators are usually the same bulbs used for brake and
tail lights. If you replace your tail and brake light bulbs with LEDs,
you'll *have* to replace the flasher as well.

You make a good point that the energy savings is tiny. Besides the
headlights, a car might have 5 amps worth of lights on at night. 5a at
14v is 70 watts. If you drive for an hour, that's only 70 watthours out
of a propulsion pack that is probably 10 KWH or more (less than 1%).

If you're designing an EV from scratch, there are some other
compensating benefits of LEDs. The lower current allows smaller wiring
and switches, a lower output DC/DC converter, and the light fixtures
themselves can be smaller and lighter. Feathers on the scale; but every
little bit helps!